For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL

just got this pic from brandon thought he would like me to put it up for him.

the completed arm installed...

upperarm3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excitement is building! Very, very close now boyo's!!!!!!!

here is a pic of how the two peices connect together...

upperarm4.jpg

2 piece design? may I ask y?

Looks awesome so far wonder how the angle of the spindle and how close to the springs it is.....

the 2 piece design is because he is making them so that people can install them without having to do any welding. these bolt to the stock location and uses the cross piece that bolts to the truck. they slide over the cross piece with the bushings and then bolt together.

as to how close the parts are to each other i can say just yet since i dont have the truck back yet. Brandon might be able to chime in and let you know about that.

and as to them fitting the 4th generation, im not sure. im sure Brandon @ BTF could make them though. you should contact him about that one.

This basically is the production version. The way the cross shaft is designed, it's impossible to make a bolt on arm. So it's a bolt together arm. They are nearly as close as stock to the coil ant the uniball cup just kisses the coil at full droop. They have to do this because if they were any longer there would be positive camber and your tires would look like this \ / there's only so much you can do. The uniball is at a much better angle though than the balljoints, so these should solve the whole balljoint issue.
Also, a word of caution/warning: you will have to cut the stock arm in half to get them off the cross shaft if you cannot press the bushings out. Ford made these dang near impossible to service in stock form.

Nice work and thanks for the update Brandon. I was going to buy a junkyard set of upper arms just for the cross shafts so I wouldn't jack up my original ones.

So with only 1.75" front spacers I should have clearance between the arm/knuckle/spring I am thinking. Oh, 1 more question, how did the arms affect the alignment? Do they put it closer to stock specs with the original set shims or is a camber kit still needed to get it in spec?

Thanks!!

This basically is the production version. The way the cross shaft is designed, it's impossible to make a bolt on arm. So it's a bolt together arm. They are nearly as close as stock to the coil ant the uniball cup just kisses the coil at full droop. They have to do this because if they were any longer there would be positive camber and your tires would look like this \ / there's only so much you can do. The uniball is at a much better angle though than the balljoints, so these should solve the whole balljoint issue.
Also, a word of caution/warning: you will have to cut the stock arm in half to get them off the cross shaft if you cannot press the bushings out. Ford made these dang near impossible to service in stock form.

Great question's mate.

Brandon

Would you utilize polyurethane bushings in the upper control arm, extended with uniball?

Camber numbers are closer to stock, I'd still recommend at least having a professional check the alignment out after install just to make sure everything is ok though. I'll get a front pic in a few minutes here and send it to Dustin.
The bushings are polyurethane and can be replaced for roughly $20 per arm.

Brandon, last questions, promise :)

-Have you decided if the production version will be tubular or boxed/laser cut?

-The powdercoating on Dirtball's arms looks nice. Will the production models come powdercoated as well?

Thanks again for the great work and for entertaining all of our questions.

Production arms will also be tube. 1.5"x.120 DOM. Keeping the cost at $550/pair and laser Cutting them won't work. Dirt's aren't powdered, just hammered spraypaint. I will probably shoot all of them this color before shipping.

Sound's super sweet!!!

Brandon@BTF-fab

when and how could I order my 4th Gen "UCA extended with UniBall" ?

I think he needs a 4th gen truck actually in his shop to actually be able to design and test it properly for the application.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^^

So who would volunteer with his lifted 4th gen truck.

I wish to be that one. But, I'm so far a way :)

Back