For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL

I used the steps in this thread to remove the stock control arm:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249135

After removing it, I then removed the nuts on each side of the control arm next to the bushings.

It was not possible for me to get the bushings out to remove the crossbar. So I got out the dremel tool and cut the control arm in half. I cut it across the middle part right beside the ball joint cup.

With that done each half of the cut control arm will slide off the crossbar easily.

Next I slid each half of the new control arms onto the crossbar. The bolt-together pieces fit very tightly...I had to put them together as tightly as I could then I used the bolts to pull them together the rest of the way. Remember that the bolt together portion should go on the side that faces the front of the truck.

Then I reinstalled the old outer washers and nuts on the ends of the crossbar. I tightened them down enough to cause some friction with the new bushings but not super tight.

After that I just followed the steps in the linked thread to re-install the new arms. I kept the shims in place and tried to get everything back to where it was, but when I got the alignment done they had to replace the OEM shims with washers to get enough adjustability so it would align back to specs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so what is the final price per pair?

and i want to know if i have a 2.25/ 1.75 lift, do i only need these upeer control arms in the front or the front and back?

Upper control arm's rocked up today. Just wanted to say thank's Brandon, awesome quality. Also thank's to all who participated in getting this much needed part into production. Cheer's:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im glad you guys are getting these arms. I cant wait to see pics of everyone putting them to good use. I cant wait til desert season to take mine out and get some pics.

so if they arnt need for the back then theres no camberage problems in the rear? bc its really hard to tell if they are straight up or not

Upper control arm's rocked up today. Just wanted to say thank's Brandon, awesome quality. Also thank's to all who participated in getting this much needed part into production. Cheer's:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice lynchy! Does that complete the shopping list of parts finally? :D

so if they arnt need for the back then theres no camberage problems in the rear? bc its really hard to tell if they are straight up or not

I think because the spacers in the back are smaller that its less of a problem. You'll still need a 4 wheel alignment but the adjustment in the back isn't huge if you were not off to start with.

Nice lynchy! Does that complete the shopping list of parts finally? :D

Aye mate, the cart is done!!! Getting a service tomorrow (bloody maintenance!) and hopefully jacking her up soon.:D

so do i still need a 4 wheel alignment after i get the control arms on?

congratulations lynchy

for me I'm still waiting my arms :|

I am very sorry for the delays on your arms, I had an issue with my machinist and raw materials for the custom uniball Spacers. The arms themselves are done, and I should have the Spacers back from machine shop by end of the week. We are very busy for just two guys working here. Not an excuse for late shipments, but we are doing all we can to keep up.
-Brandon-

Thank you

I am very sorry for the delays on your arms, I had an issue with my machinist and raw materials for the custom uniball Spacers. The arms themselves are done, and I should have the Spacers back from machine shop by end of the week. We are very busy for just two guys working here. Not an excuse for late shipments, but we are doing all we can to keep up.
-Brandon-

As we all know stuff happens you guys are great thanks again for coming to our call for help with these uppers

-Brandon-

As we all know stuff happens you guys are great thanks again for coming to our call for help with these uppers

totally agree with Wills05xlt4x4

just want to add a spacial thanks for your help and cooperation Brandon :thumbsup:

Awesome! I may order some of these once my bank account recovers from the audio system build. I've been driving with the lift/spacers on since Nov. of last year, and I have not had any problems except one wheel bearing. But, it probably needed to be done anyways. I still don't even have any tears in the boots. I think my worse problem is people flashing me at night with my high-beam fogs on now hah.

I still get compliments and looks on the truck every day. And I still love driving her. :D

guys does uni ball require any kind of lubrication?

on one of the sites the recommend

TRI-FLOW® SUPERIOR DRY LUBRICANT

product-image05.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup that's the stuff you need. Although you don't need to do it very often (it will attract dust and promote wear). Just use it periodically like you would when lubing polyurethane bushings (every once in a while).

Just read through this entire thread and I'm impressed. The work Brandon is doing looks top notch and the reviews certainly are positive.

I had 2.25/2" RoadBully spacers on for awhile. The truck looked great, but rode really rough and my ballpoints certainly paid for it. I am definitely interested in possibly re-lifting my Ex now that Brandon has a "full" solution. So my question is this, what are the smallest spacers that can be installed? I don't feel like going as high as before. Would a 1.5/1" be possible or is that too small a spacer to work with? (thinking about the space between the body and flange to work with). And if anybody knows, would a smaller spacer affect the ride quality less?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And if anybody knows, would a smaller spacer affect the ride quality less?

I have read that when you angle your control arms down, the ride quality is always going to take a hit. From what the article said it's a result of more of the impact force being directed into the frame (angled control arms) vs into the strut/spring combo (flatter control arms). It would seem to make sense that this is a matter of degree; so the taller the spacer the more the arms are angled downward and the rougher the ride.

I did some measuring on my truck and it looks like 1" front and rear spacers is the max you can go without ANY control arm/spindle contact on the springs (that's with the uniball arms installed too) and no rear axle to frame contact. Of course if you use limiting straps you can go taller but at some point you're not going to have much downtravel before the straps need to stop the suspension components from touching. So I think your idea of a mild setup is a good compromise.

I'm running 1.75" in the front and all I had to do was cut the mounting studs on top of strut down shorter to keep them out of the way when installing. 1.5" shouldn't be too much different as long as you can get the upper bolt in between the flanges and through the upper mounting hole. In the rear I doubt it would fit unless the upper bolts were elimnated and Brandon put in some studs.

Alternatively you could disassemble your struts, knock the mounting studs out of the strut top, and replace them with longer hex head bolts of the same diameter. That way you can just slide the BTF spacer over the longer "studs" and then install it just as the stock strut would go in...so working with very short spacers would no longer be a problem.

I guess it just boils down to whether Brandon can make 1"-1.5" spacers. If he can I would buy some.

Back