I just replaced these in my AWD '97. I bought a generic ball joint press kit for $120 and pickle fork 3 piece set for $30 or so. I found the inner tie rod removal easier when the steering wheel was turned toward the side being worked on. I pounded out the lower ball joint (after removing snap ring) with a big hammer, no issues. The factory upper ball joint was still riveted in. I wedged a piece of 2x4 under the upper control arm to get some space, center punched the rivets and drilled them out to 1/8". Then I ground off the bottom rivet heads and hammered a cold chisel between the upper ball joint and the control arm, thus wedging them upward and out. On the axle nut I used a 32mm deep socket (which did seem sloppy) and using the same piece of 2x4 to protect the threads, knocked the axle shaft out of the hub. When reinstalling the new tie rods, I first measured the old one's total length and made sure the new ones were the same. Afterward, I measured the toe in @1/4", which according to my former ford mechanic co-worker, is perfect. Also, because the connections constantly leak and the same mechanic said he did the same; I cut the power steering cooler lines and joined them together with a double barbed fitting and 2 hose clamps.