1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

URGENT!!!!! My '01 Sport Trac won't shift out of park.

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by theforins, August 20, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. theforins

theforins New Member

City, State:
      Sanford, Maine
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport Trac 4X4
      At first, the brake lights on the bed weren't working so we tried replacing the brake light switch. NAPA gave us an after market one, which of course we couldn't figure out, and wasn't solving the problem. I did some research online and found that some people have been having trouble with steering column not being in the highest position, so we tried that and put the old switch back in, worked like a charm. Now we can start the truck but can't get it to shift out of park at all. What do we do? My husband has to go to work tomorrow. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. theforins

theforins New Member

City, State:
      Sanford, Maine
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport Trac 4X4
      More to add: After more research, we think it may be the brake interlock selenoid. If you turn the key to the on position, you can shift to neutral, then start the truck, and then shift into drive. You can shift into park again, but it will be stuck and you have start all over again. Does this make sense to anyone? It still doesn't explain why the steering column has to be in the highest position in order for the brake lights to work.

4. theforins

theforins New Member

City, State:
      Sanford, Maine
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport Trac 4X4
      NEVER MIND!!!! Yet again, doing more research, I found a similar thread here that the guy was checking fuses and had put the fuse in the wrong place. I went out to check with the hubby and he had solved the problem. He had broken a fuse when messing with the brake light switch under the pedal. Don't as how. So now the brake lights work, the truck shifts. It still doesn't answer the question about why the steering wheel has to be in the highest position for the brake lights to work. Any thoughts????

5. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

Year and Model:
      07 Camry
      Glad we could help! :D

Did you check wires for insulation wear? Something could be grounding out in the column, or even a broken wire inside of the insulation. When you raise the wheel, it could bend the wire enough to either ground the wire to something or to connect the broken wire to itself...

6. rwenzing

rwenzing Active Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      Year and Model:
      03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C
      The wiring subharness to the Multifunction Switch is routed along the left side of the steering column and the brake lamp power must pass through the MS before being sent on to the 2 outer brake lamps. You probably have one of these issues when the column is in the lower position where the subharness is presumably pulled the tightest:
      • There is a connector that is not fully seated and locked.
      • There is a loose pin in a connector that is being pulled to create an open circuit.
      • There is a broken wire conductor that is being pulled to create an open circuit.
      • The Multifunction Switch itself is being pulled, creating an internal open.
      The color code for the brake lamp circuit going into the MS is light green.

7. theforins

theforins New Member

City, State:
      Sanford, Maine
      Year and Model:
      '01 Sport Trac 4X4
      Thanks guys, when the hubby gets home from work, i'll let him know. I'll let you know the outcome.

8. MR YAT

MR YAT New Member

City, State:
      Central NJ
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport trac
      wire harness needs some slack!

Take the top cover off the steering column, you will see a white connector with about 4 wires just pull the harness toward you and the problem will be solved. It happened on my truck and never had any problems after that.

9. rokr1292

rokr1292 Active Member

City, State:
      richardsville va
      Year and Model:
      '01 Explorer Sport Trac
      Resurrecting an ancient thread, but what solved this? My truck has an almost identical issue, I replaced the brake switch, but I never thought to check my brake lights. Can anyone explain this all to me?

10. bdmaash

bdmaash Active Member

City, State:
      YYC
      Year and Model:
      '01 sport trac
      my limited reading skills sort of told me it might be a fuse

11. rokr1292

rokr1292 Active Member

City, State:
      richardsville va
      Year and Model:
      '01 Explorer Sport Trac
      The fuses I actually checked. I don't have a fuse cover, so they were one of the first things I thought to check

12. TxPlates

TxPlates Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Marble Falls, TX
      Year and Model:
      2001 "Rock Trac"
      It's the harness on the steering column. The wires get backed out of the connector, mine went through the same thing - I had to buy a new connector - slipped the wires back into the new one and it solved the problem. Take the cover off right behind the steering wheel, and it'll be on the top left - grey connector - cost like $5 from ford to replace.

13. rokr1292

rokr1292 Active Member

City, State:
      richardsville va
      Year and Model:
      '01 Explorer Sport Trac
      Where exactly is it? Lol I didn't think that was it because I don't have a tilt column

14. TxPlates

TxPlates Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Marble Falls, TX
      Year and Model:
      2001 "Rock Trac"
      I'll see if I have a photo from when I did mine.

15. rokr1292

rokr1292 Active Member

City, State:
      richardsville va
      Year and Model:
      '01 Explorer Sport Trac
      Thanks I appreciate it, its my only transportation and school isn't quite over yet, and work never ends.

16. TxPlates

TxPlates Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Marble Falls, TX
      Year and Model:
      2001 "Rock Trac"