v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs

Okay so I purchased a 70mm T-Body From Dynamic racing. It looks fine and all... its for a 1987-93 Im thinking this is the problem?
Well I took the old one off and then compared the 2 and everything is different. The TPS Bolts, the throttle hookup, the IAC so What should I do?
It would be alot of modd.. just to get it to work.
Or Do I need another type of throttle body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so Ive been tinkering around a bit and driving it around and has alot more power.. Ive figured out the kickdown cable...
It starts and idles no problem, But check engine light came on and I hear a few pops in the exhaust. I know there was a vacum hookup that I pluged on the T-Body. So maybe a vacum issue? Or the IAC?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok so Ive been tinkering around a bit and driving it around and has alot more power.. Ive figured out the kickdown cable...
It starts and idles no problem, But check engine light came on and I hear a few pops in the exhaust. I know there was a vacum hookup that I pluged on the T-Body. So maybe a vacum issue? Or the IAC?

what is the idle TPS voltage value set to?

Have the codes scanned-it will help--

Ok tomarrow Im going to autozone and will use the scanner to see what codes come up. But I just noticed the AC doesnt work anymore, Its not blowing cold air and it did fine all day earlier and it was charged not too long ago

Ok tomarrow Im going to autozone and will use the scanner to see what codes come up. But I just noticed the AC doesnt work anymore, Its not blowing cold air and it did fine all day earlier and it was charged not too long ago

TPS--vacuum-

did you rewire your tps plug? did you adjust it?
If you have a voltmeter you can check it--if the voltage is too high it may kick the ac off because the PCM would be "thinking" the throttle is depressed-this would also account for a lean backfire--

Ya I rewired it but I might have not connected the wires to the appropriate wires.. Because on the Mustang tps there is a orange a green and black, black for ground? and one a lead and one a return?. On the mounty they are black with a white line, black with a red line, and black with a green line I believe I might be wrong? If anyone could tell me which is which that would help a bunch

Yes I have a few, Ive never used it before But I believe it has a clip that can attach to the outside of the wire to read the voltage being sent? WIth black and red. Do I put the black on the black wire for ground?

Yes I have a few, Ive never used it before But I believe it has a clip that can attach to the outside of the wire to read the voltage being sent? WIth black and red. Do I put the black on the black wire for ground?
ok for a minute forget the word ground-and think in the terms of reference instead. The black lead will be the "reference " lead--the red will read voltage in reference to the black--
ok
now-set the meter to OHMs
disconnect the TPS connector

there are 3 prongs on the sensor itself
across 2 will be the max resistance-
across 2 will be a varying resistance--mark those 2 which vary with throttle pull-

now-turn the key on--

set the meter to read 20 volts (next scale over 10)

place the black lead on the neg battery terminal-read the voltage of all 3 wires in the tps connector (wire harness)

write down which is 5v.(might actually read -5v, but you get the idea)
now-hold the positive lead on that wire, and move the black lead to one of the other wires until you read 5v--this will be the signal ground--mark it.

the third wire is the signal -- mark it as such

now--back to the sensor--

pin on sensor which is unmarked is the signal ground-

the other 2 are V in and Vr out--it shouldn't matter which is connected to which.

Thanks a Million John, Without your support Id be spending Loot to have some grease monkey Jimmy rig this all. This is why I Joined the Elite!
Im printing this and Gonna tackle this tomarrow for sure..

Thanks a Million John, Without your support Id be spending Loot to have some grease monkey Jimmy rig this all. This is why I Joined the Elite!
Im printing this and Gonna tackle this tomarrow for sure..

print it again--I had to do a small edit--:D

Once I get the TPS sorted out.. is there any way this could become a Sticky cause It seems alot of people want this mod?

Yes I will I know that you Have A-D-D :)

Be sure to post what colors go to what so that my lazy ass doesn't have to dig my volt meter out. LOL

Okay So I tried to use the volt meter and I gave up..... sorry Someone should give me a lesson..
So I re solderd the Orig TPS Back onto the sensor and re attached it. It works alot better No more check engine light. AC works again
So Yes I would say This mod is worth it, I would say it has more HP.
When you mash the throttle at 65-70 the thing takes off I was moving at 105 today SCARY with my ride...

I recommend this Mod. Thank you John for your insight.
The next thing I want to do is have the Elbow Bored to match the TB.

Okay So I tried to use the volt meter and I gave up..... sorry Someone should give me a lesson..
So I re solderd the Orig TPS Back onto the sensor and re attached it. It works alot better No more check engine light. AC works again
So Yes I would say This mod is worth it, I would say it has more HP.
When you mash the throttle at 65-70 the thing takes off I was moving at 105 today SCARY with my ride...

I recommend this Mod. Thank you John for your insight.
The next thing I want to do is have the Elbow Bored to match the TB.

The stocker TB elbow is pretty thin in the middle there. You will not be able to port it much before punching through the side of it.

Thanks for the advice!

Ok as you know I got the new CAI so here's what it all looks like...
kiuo011.jpg

Im gonna post a video tomarrow of the Engine Running...
I would have to say the Throttle Body Has made the Most Difference Out of all the mods I have so far!

here is the video of the new CAI and T-Body working together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8QMjdIwP7Q

Not sure why you guys had so much trouble with the TPS. When I did my 75mm BBK years back, I simply cut and re-positioned the ball stud similar to above and then bolted all the explorer parts to it (IAC, TPS, brackets, etc..) No brainer. I used a 87-93 t-body.

I am not converting a 90mm Accufab and will do same process.

One thing to add - be sure to dis-assemble the throttle rod from the assembly before welding to ensure no damage to the bushings / bearings. Also, upon re-assembly, make sure you damage the threads on the back side of the throttle plate - you don't want those screws passing through the engine - especially if you run a positive displacement S/C!

Back