• Register Today It's free!

V8 or V6

BBinNH

Reaction score
City, State
Exeter NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I am ordering a 2006 Explorer XLT - would love advice on whether to order V8 or V6 and why...I have only been able to drive the V6, and while not bad at all, I wasn't blown away. I won't be towing, but I like to have more than sufficent getup & go.
Thanks in advance,
BB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just took delivery on my 2006 XLT - V8 -- Not enought miles on it yet to stick my foot in it - But believe me it's there and -- I don't think the gas mileage is that bad considering we're driving an over 4000 lb car

I drove both the V6 and the V8. the V8 is much quieter. I was surprised how quick the V6 was though. the trailer tow package on the V6 gives you the 3.73 rear. I ended up getting the V8. the gas mileage difference is minimal. if you can, go for the 8.

I just went for the V8. I'm currently babying it so I really can't comment on performance yet. DOubt the gas mileage will be appreciably different. I just really wanted/needed the new 6 speed tranny (only comes with the V8)!

since you're going to get abysmal mileage w/ the 6 (14 around town), might as well get the 8. As pointed out above, the 6 is pretty noisy, but maybe it just seems that way b/c the interior is so eerily quiet.

i simply can't believe how poor the mileage is in the 6, and up around 6,500 ft; can't imagine what it's like @ sea level (although it must have more get-up-and-go)

go with the 8, not much of as difference in gas milage than the six and you get to speed faster, so you dont have your foot planted allthe time. Anyways, drove an 06 with 5k on the odemoter with the V8, pretty nice, and has a great tranny. I just dont like those plastic chrome rims.

Lets put it this way... I will never own a V6 vehicle that had a V8 option. UNLESS said V6 is diesel.

Plastic chrome rims?

rpr said:
Plastic chrome rims?

Limited's "chrome" wheels are a plastic overlay of a alloy wheel...

BBinNH said:
I am ordering a 2006 Explorer XLT - would love advice on whether to order V8 or V6 and why...I have only been able to drive the V6, and while not bad at all, I wasn't blown away. I won't be towing, but I like to have more than sufficent getup & go.
Thanks in advance,
BB

7000 miles, 16-17 mpg mixed V8 .... no question, did not even drive the 6 in the 06's
Wise choice for $850 (i think) plus the 6spd tranny!!

Back