Vacuum booster and master cylinder replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum booster and master cylinder replacement.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I got some used parts from my favorite junk yard. I learned a few things and get to redo most of the job I started and cannot finish till I get paid next week. 90-91 vans use a different booster than 92 up and 89 down. The pedal rod is shorter on the 92 up, I found out the hard way. The proportioning valve that is on the later vans fit my 91 perfectly, I replaced my master cylinder with one off a 97 explorer since I will be doing a disc brake conversion in the rear. I also found out when the rear abs module fails the pedal becomes very soft, feels like a bad master cylinder. I need to buy a brake line flaring tool and a 7 inch dual diaphragm vacuum booster to complete the job. I will update this with pictures when finished

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the lite go off for the asb mod went. How you doing this in the heat we had 110 temps all week. I was reading up on a 94 AREOSTAR and the said certain years the brake ped is non adjust. Is the rear dis a big job. I'm still throwing an anchor out the back to stop. I need to check my rt brake hose I'm pulling bad slam peddle and ok. But the heat is killing me

Did the lite go off for the asb mod went. How you doing this in the heat we had 110 temps all week. I was reading up on a 94 AREOSTAR and the said certain years the brake ped is non adjust. Is the rear dis a big job. I'm still throwing an anchor out the back to stop. I need to check my rt brake hose I'm pulling bad slam peddle and ok. But the heat is killing me
No warning light on the rear abs, when I bypassed it to rule it out the brakes went back to normal so it will stay bypassed. As far as the disc conversion, if you can pull the axle shafts out then it is pretty easy. I've done it to my 68 cougar and 87 ranger. I'm used to the heat, I work outside all day, don't run my air conditioning at home, sleep with a fan in the window. The thing about driving old cars is they tend to break down on the hottest day of the year. The harmonic balancer broke on my jeep when it was 122. I was able to get it home with the heater on. Also I just miss driving my van.

Should I say COOL! Do fords have c clips like GM . You pull axle and slide plate on axle shaft housing then put back together.

Should I say COOL! Do fords have c clips like GM . You pull axle and slide plate on axle shaft housing then put back together.
Yes there is C clips. There is a pin between the shafts you remove, then the clips. With it torn down that far it is a good time to change the wheel seals and inspect the outer bearings.

. As far as the disc conversion, if you can pull the axle shafts out then it is pretty easy. I've done it to my 68 cougar and 87 ranger. .
the hard part is making emergency brake cables work.

the hard part is making emergency brake cables work.
I'll part with the cash for a Lokar parking lever. I've had the factory one apart twice, first and last time. I think the parking brake is the most important safety item on a car.

I've been busy with work, end of the year is the busiest so I have not had much time to work on my projects. The vacuum booster I bought fits the firewall perfectly, but it did not fit the master cylinder so I ended up ordering a wilwood master cylinder with an adjustable proportioning valve that fits the booster part # (261-13269-P). Brakes will be done this week then I'll start on the rear suspension. I'm thinking about installing a watts link. A mustang S197 kit could be adapted pretty easily. The M90 supercharger kit I got will be installed next spring when work is extremely slow.

Here are a few pictures of this failed attempt. If the booster was correct I'd be running this setup. That booster is a reman, only 2 years old.
20160625_180033.jpg
20160625_182413.jpg
20160626_125746.jpg
20160626_125848.jpg

A few pictures of the new brake parts I have started to install. The rear abs will be deleted since it has failed, I got an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear.
20161204_102004.jpg
20161204_102126.jpg
20161204_102158.jpg

Josh since you tinker more than me. Is the engine Bay about the same as a ranger. I saw yesterday in my xmass jeggs cat a v8 kit for ranger for $500. Mounts headers and other parts to make it work. That's your area. I've had 3 inquires on the van. I need to sell it since I might loose my license because of my seizures. But I can't let it go.

Josh since you tinker more than me. Is the engine Bay about the same as a ranger. I saw yesterday in my xmass jeggs cat a v8 kit for ranger for $500. Mounts headers and other parts to make it work. That's your area. I've had 3 inquires on the van. I need to sell it since I might loose my license because of my seizures. But I can't let it go.
I own a ranger, not all the V8 swap parts would work. A V8 AWD aerostar is on my wish list. You could swap in a 302 with various factory parts. Use the 4.0L mounts with steel plate on the engine. Need a log style exhaust cause the engine bay tapers at the rear. What is the item number, I'd like to look at it.

I own a ranger, not all the V8 swap parts would work. A V8 AWD aerostar is on my wish list. You could swap in a 302 with various factory parts. Use the 4.0L mounts with steel plate on the engine. Need a log style exhaust cause the engine bay tapers at the rear. What is the item number, I'd like to look at it.
Let me see if I didn't throw the jeggs cat out. It came Monday they sell the compleat v8 ranger swap with headers for $500.

Got all the brake lines done, brake system won't bleed properly and I sheared off the brake pedal pushrod at the coupler nut. I lost more ground than I gained on this project so far, I ordered a new pedal pushrod. I just need to walk away for a bit cause I'm getting really frustrated.

Here is the final result.

20180512_173350.jpg

20180512_173234.jpg

20180512_173206.jpg

Did you install a Mustang power brake booster with the Mustang master cylinder?
The booster and cylinder are universal. The pushrod extension for the early mustang is a perfect fit on the van. Not the cheapest solution but it does work better than stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the brakes more responsive since it's designed for a high speed performance vehicle? Are you planning on upgrading the rear drums to disc brakes or the front calipers to a dual piston set up?

Back