1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Vacuum Leak for Dummies

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by KINNEY201, March 18, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KINNEY201

KINNEY201 Member

Year and Model:
      1997 XLT V8
      Hi,
      I am in need of information on how to locate a vacuum leak. I've looked everywhere and can't find the "How to find a vacuum leak for dummies" version. Please help!

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8.

I am retrieving codes P0171 & P0174. (Lean banks 1 & 2).

I have already replaced the MAF sensor. Codes came back.

1.) How many vacuum hoses are there?
      2.) Where are they?
      3.) How do I check them for leaks? (I read somewhere something about ether?)

If someone can point me in the right direction. (Diagrams & actual photos would be great), I would seriously appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JoeMahma

JoeMahma Active Member

City, State:
      Pa.
      Year and Model:
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer
      Well there are many hoses in different places. You can use a propane torch with a length of rubber hose on the end. Turn the propane on and with the engine running aim the end of the hose at the vacuum lines and if the engine idle rises you have found your leak. Sometimes it might be a gasket leaking as well so you'll want to run the propane around the intake manifold too. I believe you might have to unhook the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve when doing this or you might not get a change in idle but I might be wrong. Anyone else chime in?

4. reserved50

reserved50 Active Member

City, State:
      Current : 2011 Base Exploder
      Year and Model:
      Last: 97 XLT SC'd 5.0/331
      call a shop and ask if they have an evap smoke machine, should find a leak if there is one in about 45min tops.

5. dynamite196

dynamite196 Active Member

City, State:
      Glastonbury, Connecticut
      Year and Model:
      97 Sport
      Those codes are usually caused by leaking intake manifold gaskets. You can also use wd-40 to test for leaks, simply spray it around the suspected area and listen for a change in idle speed. When checking the intake manifold gaskets, make sure the engine is cold. The gaskets expand with the engine heat and can sometimes seal up the leak making it nearly impossible to find. You don't have to disconnect the IAC. good luck

6. KINNEY201

KINNEY201 Member

Year and Model:
      1997 XLT V8
      Is there a vacuum hose diagram available for my truck? I've never had to mess with them so I'm not sure where to spray or look. Thanks for your time, it's really appreciated.