vacuum reservoir?

Clusterpup

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac 4x4
Do our trucks have a vacuum reservoir? I am trying to find it in my truck and don't see it. When I press the gas in my truck while driving the AC starts blowing out of the defroster. I haven't found a leak other then the one next to the PCV valve that I replaced a while back. Is there a check valve or something I should be looking for? My truck is 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do our trucks have a vacuum reservoir? I am trying to find it in my truck and don't see it. When I press the gas in my truck while driving the AC starts blowing out of the defroster. I haven't found a leak other then the one next to the PCV valve that I replaced a while back. Is there a check valve or something I should be looking for? My truck is 4x4.
Mine is in the front passenger side under the airbox location. It's an orb.

Thanks John, I am going to take a look under there a little better this weekend and try to find my leak. I need my AC working as good as it can now that summer is here.

Well I found the thing and noticed that it isnt conected. I noticed that there is a gray and a black vacuum line that are connected together close the the back of the air filter. One seems to got to the intake while the other may go into the firewall. I am wondering if these are supposed to be connect the the resevoir? It only has one connection point? I was thinking if I remove the little connector from these two vac lines and put a t connector and run a vac line down to the resevoir maybe this would fix my low vacuum issue on acceleration.

Does the Emission label not show your vacuum routing? My ST's are not here right now for me to look at.

edit: Ahhh, here you go.........

VacuumSchematic.jpg

Item Part Number Description
1 18A318 Vacuum control motor—panel/defrost door
2 18A478 Panel/defrost door (full vacuum position)
3 — Defrost airflow
4 — Side window demister airflow
5 18B545 Temperature blend door (full heat position)
6 19860 A/C evaporator core
7 19A813 Recirculation air duct door (full vacuum position)
8 — Outside air inlet
9 18A318 Vacuum control motor—air inlet door
10 — Recirculated air inlet
11 19805 Blower motor
12 19A566 Vacuum reservoir tank
13 — Vacuum from the engine intake manifold
14 19B888 Function selector switch
15 18495 Heater control valve
16 18476 Heater core
17 18A559 Panel/floor door (full vacuum position)
18 — Floor airflow
19 18A318 Vacuum control motor—panel/floor door
20 — Panel airflow

NOTE: The two vacuum lines to the vacuum reservoir tank are not interchangeable. NOTE: The A/C vacuum check valve is internal to the vacuum reservoir tank and cannot be serviced separately. ( The check valve should be in the side that Line 13 attaches to. )

VacuumReservoirOrb.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems that when this truck was rebuilt from an accident beforee I owned the truck they bypassed the reseveroir and that why I lose vacuum when I rev up the engine. I will be addressing this next weekend.

Thanks for the drawing Steve.

Bought a 2001 Sport Trac 4WD 4.0 SOHC last week with a similar problem. When the engine was rebuilt, it looks like they left the vac reservoir off. Now I need to find the source of the vacuum going into the reservoir.

Back