1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Valve Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by srsc, October 26, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. srsc

srsc New Member

Year and Model:
      My 93 Sport has a noise I can not diagnose. It sounds like a lifter tick that needs the valves adjusted. But, it ticks 3-4 times then goes silent for a second or two and repeats. The sounds speeds slightly with RPM increases, but keeps the same 3-4 ticks and silent throughout the RPM range. At first I thought it was a noisy injector but it seems to be coming from the drivers side valve cover area. Is there a way to adjust the valves on the 4.0's? Performance doesn't seem to be affected. The noise is slightly quieter the warmer the motor gets. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.