Valve Spring Retainers with Comp 988 Springs? 4.0L OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve Spring Retainers with Comp 988 Springs? 4.0L OHV

'84 Bronco II

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am installing the Comp 422 cam and picked up some Comp 988 springs. I believe the stock valve stems are 8mm, and I am having a hell of a time finding retainers that will make it all work together. I found reference to Crane Cams 99947 retainers that supposedly work with stock valves and locks, but it looks like those are out of production now. All of the retainers Comp Cams lists for the 988 springs (PNs 730, 740, 743, 744) are for larger valve stem sizes. I saw somebody reference using Comp Cams 775 retainers, which look close, but the step for the I.D. of the outer spring is 1.070", and Comp specifies the I.D. of the outer 988 springs at 1.060". Maybe they would work anyway?

I called up SI valves today since I am considering using the SEV2027 and SEV2028 valves, and they said that they didn't have anything that would work.

Anyways, I am curious if anyone here knows of anything that is currently available that would work. I am frustrated since there are a lot of threads about people using the 422 cam and 988 springs, but little mention of which spring retainers everyone is using.

Back