Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Varsity's 2000 Explorer Sport

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by Varsity, February 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Varsity

Varsity Don't need no stinkin 4WD...yet Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 Sport
      Now THAT'S scary. My rim was pretty rusty but then again, most spares are so no surprise. I guess I'm lucky to have a Goodyear Wrangler for a spare.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Next fun project was something a few guys here ended up convincing me I needed. I just kept thinking what else I could add to the other side of the truck to balance out the maglite. Well, I broke down and put a little 2.5lb. fire extinguisher on the other side. I doubt its good for much, but it looks cool and you never know. The plastic bracket is kinda deceiving, since there's a sheet of aluminum plate underneath holding the bracket there for extra support. I doubt the little screws would be a great idea by themselves.

And on a side note, my rear wiper now works like it should. It never really made full contact with the glass, and from my reading, the 98-01's never really worked too well. So, after some reading around here, I tried grinding the little nubs on the arms and now it works great! Now we just need some snow or rain so I can try it...

Attached Files:

4. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Got a little fancy on the way home from work...

Attached Files:

5. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Had to wait a day before making this update because I was so excited. Finally did what I consider my first "big" mod, new muffler. I went with the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler since I have the OHV and want sound quality over loudness. I actually went to a local performance shop who did an incredible job for a pretty nice price. I don't know why, but not many shops wanted to put it on, and even fewer wanted to make me a custom pipe out the back, since I wanted to go diagonal instead of straight out the back. I gotta say I'm pretty happy with it overall, since its pretty quiet but gives my truck a little deeper tone without sounding awful. Being a V6, I'm kinda limited, but definitely made the right choice. Thanks for everyone who gave me the suggestion and help.
      Even showed my Dynomax love too. It's kinda a mini photo bomb so be careful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      I had a heck of a time getting a shop to because noone wanted to make a y pipe. I had it all welded up and a new tail bent for a hundred bucks.

7. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      You made out a little better than me, mine was a bit over 200. The hardest part was just finding a place who wanted to deal with me, since three places turned me away since I didn't want to use "their" recommended muffler. The only shop that was gonna do it cheap like that conveniently "ran out of wire" when I came in. Thats like McDonalds running out of fries...I took that as a sign and found a much better place. I know I could've gotten it done cheaper elsewhere but this was a nice place with super friendly people who let me in every step of the way. They did incredible work too. I usually do my own work so my shop hunting skills are pretty awful. Either way, I couldn't be happier with the place or job they did or even the muffler. I feel like I supported local businesses too.

8. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      On probably the worst day of the season, in the midst of hail, freezing rain and snow, I made a quick trip to the junkyard and snagged some stuff I've been waiting for for a LOOOONNNGG time! I grabbed the Sport cluster out of a '01 Sport and an almost new bug shield too. Funny enough, I grabbed the Sport emblem off the truck and decided to see how it looks on the bug shield for now. I'm pretty impressed. Once I warm up and things dry up a bit, I'm gonna go throw the buggy thing on and work on the cluster over the weekend. Also gonna try my luck at resetting the odometer on the cluster.

Pics are terrible, but its from my phone since my camera is dead. You get the gist of it though..

Attached Files:

9. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      Nice finds, and I kinda like that sport emblem there. Looking forward to seeing that on the vehicle.

10. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      It's been awhile since I have done anything fun with the truck as far as mods go. Winter has been fun so far, not too much snow, but decent amounts sometimes and since I drive super early in the morning, I usually see the worst of it. I really haven't let 2WD affect me too much as I've still found plenty of fun things to do with the snow. :thumbsup:

But, I mentioned a nice pick at the junkyard on Tuesday so I spent yesterday putting them to use. First was a bug shield, no big deal to most, but I threw a newer Sport logo in the corner and I definitely like. I really haven't seen decent bug shields for less than $40 or so, and I got this one for $10, so no complaining from this end :D.

I also FINALLY found the white faced gauges from the '01-03 Sports after searching for a couple of years now. They have a much sportier appearance and have been worth the wait. The best part of the whole deal is that I swapped the faces from the white one onto mine, so I still have my dash and odometer. I'd much rather have my 98k miles showing rather than 187k. The only downside to the swap so far is that my gas gauge isn't quite accurate... I had no idea that the needles would be such a pain to get back in the right spot. I was hoping they'd align themselves. They didn't. It shows my full tank as 3/4 which I guess is better than the alternative. I've checked with a tool so everything else should be pretty much accurate, but the gas might be off. I'll browse around here to see if I can find something, if not, I may turn to the forum directly. The gauges are right, I can't get the needle itself to display accurately.

Lastly, I put an LED in the headlight switch. Some genius at Ford decided to have the switch glow on every time the key is in so it burns out super quickly, why 99% of Explorer owners don't even know its supposed to light up. I see why Ford would do that, but its still dumb. I know where my switch is, so I put an LED in and tied it into the dash lights, so its not ALWAYS on.

It was a really productive day and I couldn't be happier. Just need to clear up some details and I'll be fine.

Attached Files:

11. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Got somewhat of a sad update. As my truck nears the big 100k, I had my first accident. I got rear ended from a dead stop while sitting at a stoplight. Totally not my fault. The other car was perfectly fine, yet my rear bumper took a big hit. It's bent pretty good. No idea what's going on as far as repairs or insurance but it doesn't seem like it's gonna be an easy process... Cooperation is pretty so-so right now but at least I have a police report to back me up, I guess. It's pretty much a waiting game right now. I'm not gonna go into much detail or post too many pics until I figure what's gonna happen but I can post the rest in a few days once I get some more feedback.

I was too choked up to even talk at the time. It just sucks that even if you do absolutely nothing wrong, someone can still come and destroy what you have. Luckily she's still driveable and all, but I still get sad every time I walk by it.

Attached Files:

12. RyansX

RyansX Active Member

City, State:
      Tulsa, Oklahoma
      1998 Explorer XLT
      Sucks to hear man! Can you pm me about the gauge cluster swap? I've got a few questions about it an i really want to do it. Thanks!

13. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Sort've a mini-update. Just today my Sport passed the 100k mark. I've had it for about 3 years now and ~15k miles. It's been amazing so far, with this truck taking me on roadtrips, getting me through school and work, meeting tons of new people, turning heads whenever possible and so, so much more. As cheesy as it is to say, it's sorta become a part of "me." And obviously I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun without the support and ideas of this forum.

[​IMG]

Give or take a month or two, I've got some BIG plans in store and its too late to turn back!! ;)

Last edited: April 21, 2013
    14. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Finally did it. Biggest mod to date and this one feels the best. I bit the bullet and lifted her up. I bought brand new 4 door leaf springs online and installed a 3 inch body lift. Add to that some 33x12.50 BFGoodrich All Terrains on some American Racing 15x8s and you have a monster. Gotta say its pretty fun driving the truck now, it just... floats. I can even see way above other cars and trucks now. The new leafs make the rear sit about 1" higher, giving it a little rake, which I love. There was a smidge of rubbing, but I think I took care of most of it. The only thing I need to finish is lifting the rear bumper. The front came up pretty easily, but I didn't have enough time to look at the back. I'm definitely gonna take some better pics for tomorrow, but I just wanted to get something up for now.

Attached Files:

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      The better pics I promised.

Attached Files:

16. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
      IL
      95 Sport 4x4
      Nice Job! Front bumper looks great too. Best Mod yet.

17. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Much appreciated!! I couldn't agree more.

18. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      It's been pretty much a photobomb lately but I got some final shots of the truck after some odds and ends have been taken care of. I got the rear bumper lifted up as well so all is swell and dandy there. The other things I've taken care of is undercoating the carriage and everything you would see now that the truck sits about 4" higher and spraying the fog light covers with Duplicolor Metalcast yellow to give it a distinctive look at night as well. I've been having a great time lately, just need to see some mud and action!

Attached Files:

19. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      I got a little excited on my last trip to the junkyard when I found a pristine armrest for my truck, the kind that almost always seem to snap when a little bit of pressure is applied. Well, after I cleaned it up, I put it on and I couldn't be any happier. It came off a '92 or '93 Explorer but color-wise matches the truck perfectly, seats and all. Crap camera pics as usual, but you'll see what I mean. Super duper happy on this one and I'll be careful not to snap this one like 90% of these.

Attached Files:

20. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      A little bit overdo, but a little less than a month ago, I packed up the bags and took a trip to Indianapolis for their annual 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree. There were hundreds and maybe even a thousand trucks everywhere with people driving in from everywhere to attend. It was a pretty awesome and relaxing weekend to enjoy loud trucks, mud and fun. In between watching events, I got to see so many awesome trucks and even had a few people check out my truck which was one of only two lifted Explorers there. It gave a lot of people ideas and a couple of people told me they may give lifting their Explorer a shot! If only I had a dime for every time someone told me they never even considered that truck lifted or actually taking it off-road. Many said an Explorer would let them still wheel while having a family much better than a Ranger or F150. I really opened some people's eyes. Another cool thing is that I got to do some serious forum representation there especially during their cruise that I participated in. Some people even knew about this site! All in all it was super fun and I can't wait for next year. I took tons of photos but these are the ones that work.

Attached Files:

21. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      And from said jamboree, I got some really cool stickers and souvenirs for the truck too cause what truck is complete without stickers???

Attached Files:

22. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      While the brutal Midwest storms were raging outside, I used this weekend to finish another much need project. Luckily this is just as much of a mod as a repair. Powerstop cross-drilled and slotted rotors up front with Wagner Thermo-Quiet ceramic brake pads and just the Thermo-Quiet ceramics in back. The rotors up front may have been the originals which is pretty terrifying considering half of the rotor surface was rusted and what was left of the shiny part was rusted and pitted. They were bad!! Still have them around so I could grab a pic. We'll just have to wait and see how these things work.

Attached Files:

23. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
      IL
      95 Sport 4x4
      Very Cool Varsity, and glad you doing ok. Storms were bad. Let us know how u like the rotors. Had another set of discontinued slotted Brembo rotors I installed this year along with the Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramics also. Had a stuck caliper and destroyed one of the Cross Drilled Brembo's I had installed a few years back.

24. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Obligatory Saturday snow funtime pictures...

Attached Files:

25. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Oh boy its been awhile. Not a whole lot has changed or happened with the truck besides regular maintenance and lots of driving. The truck mustered through the worst winter we've had in years and I couldn't be happier. Even had a few days where temperatures got to -50! Not to mention all the snow really put the BFG's to the test. Impressive to say the least, but between a DieHard Platinum battery and a Mobil 1 full synthetic oil change, focus has been on life and keeping the truck running flawlessly.

Seeing as things are settling down, I do have some fun in store...

Attached Files:

26. Varsity

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      Spent some much needed time on the truck and had a bit of fun. I went ahead and put an add-a-leaf in the rear and did a very slight TT as well. Not sure if the TT did much but whatever. The truck sits up a bit higher and all is well :)

The other major mod was the addition of a 4.10 LS in the rear. I know people on here swear by 4.56 or more but for $50 and a trip to the junkyard, I came home with an axle from a '98 XLT with tow package. The better gearing is sure appreciated and the limited slip should prove useful soon as well ;)

Very happy and productive weekend!

Attached Files: