Vibration at 60+ MPH. Need advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at 60+ MPH. Need advice.

Dan M "Wise87"

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I know this is the place for advice so maybe you guys can help me out.

Last week I took my 2000 XLS up to Atlanta. This was the first time I took my X on a long road trip and had it up to 60+ mph. I only have 5000 miles on it so it's in great condition. On the way up there I was getting a heavy vibration throughout the whole vehicle. I took it too a Ford dealer up there and I told them about the problem. They decided to go ahead and change out my Firestones and put on some new Good/Years. I was excited, The dealer down in Florida said it would be months before the replacement tires would even show up. Now I don't have to pay for anything, I get free tires and a wheel balance.

Well on the drive back to Florida, I noticed the vibration was still there. Not as bad as before but still just as annoying. The next day I took the X to my local dealer and explained to them what was up. They suspected the Atlanta dealer didn't do a good job on the tire balance, so they redid the whole process once again. This time I was able to watch them check each tire and rim when they had it on the machine. Well guess what, two tires where out of balance. I guess the Atlanta shop screwed up. The tech rebalanced everything and I was good to go, so I thought.

With new balanced tires installed, it was time for a road test. Just a few miles from here is a newly repaved highway to test their work on. Well guess what. I'm still getting a vibration starting at around 60 mph. The X runs silky smooth below that. I can see and fell the vibrations in the gas pedal, steering wheel, and in the seats. It's not as bad as before but still the vibs in the pedal and steering wheel can get tiring.

I'm taking my X back to the shop on Monday so they can hook up some device too it and road test it. Can you guys come up with a list of items for me, so I can give it too the dealer and have them check it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it's getting late and nobody was able to help me out. I'll leave it up to the dealer to troubleshoot the problem.

Shaky Explorer

I have the same problem on my 94 explorer. I've taken it to three different dealers and had three new sets of tires all with new balances. Mine is worst at 59. I don't know what to do either. It's really annoying. Let me know what you find out.

My 94 has developed similar vibrations between 60 and 65, but I doubt that we're looking at the same thing.

Since mine is truck is old, and the vibes are new, it's probably wear and tear on the drive line.

But with a brand new one, I'd say something was out of balance from the factory. Have the dealer check the drive shaft (both if you have AWD, which I think you must), as well as the axles, and what ever other drive line components that could be out of balance.

Well after 3 atemps the dealer said they found two bad rims. This is after I had them remove the tires from the rims and spin them up. I watched them through out the whole process. They had also hooked up some device to my X and test drove it. They also concluded that it was the rims. Well the new rims will be in sometime this week. When they change them out, I will test drive it again and see what happens.

Hmm, it'll be interesting to know if that helps. I can't see how the rims could cause a vibration if the tires had been balanced (leaking air yes, but shaking?). My 94 has that problem, but I'm hoping that changing the shocks will fix it (on order).

My 96 Explorer is in the shop today for "serious vibration" at 65 mph. I had it into the dealership for shocks and brakes, etc a few months ago and had them check out a "thunking" when starting and stopping. They said then it was the driveshaft. I did some reading on the vibrations at 65 and everything seems to point to U-Joints and driveshaft. $400 to rebalance, etc. My tires are new so I think it is the driveshaft, etc. I'll be interested in what my outcome is as well as yours!

I've been fighting this problem for several years.
At around 65 mph through 70 mph. I've read every thread in the sight on "vibration" several people have had this problem but not a single person has posted the solution to the root cause. Now, some of the lower speed vibrations (around 45 mph) are usually driveline related ( usually u-joints). The first "normal" harmonic vibration from a closly ballanced tire is 57 mph. So it could be a misballanced tire. But another thing to consider is if the vibration doesn't show up at a constant 65mph, but starts to show up at 65 mph when you let up or give it some gas ( this is what mine does) then it could be drive shaft related. Like I said I've been fighting this problem for several years so I'm going to list everything I've "fixed" with no change. First I reballanced the tires (10.5 x 31), then I replaced the radious arm bushings, installed spacers in the radious arm bushings (this done to stiffen up the radious arms), replaced every u-joint including the front axil assembly. replaced all ball joints removed the front drive shaft ( vibration was still there, so I replaced the front drive shaft) replaced the tranny, rebuilt the transfercase, replaced the rear driveshaft, put new bearings in the rear axil. I've brought the truck to several 4 x 4 shops but they can't find anything wrong. This week I found a specialty shop that seems confidant that they can fix the the problem. or atleast identify the root cause. Talking with their head tech. ( who was very knowledgeable) I've decided to give it to them for a couple of days next week. I'll let you know what happens.

man that is a pile of work. i had a problem, but it was sloved with new ujoints. my dad in law is saying that the engine itself is most likely unbalanced. if an older motor then through wearing down. a remedy would be a rebuilt be competant shop (not sugest you wouldnt but i get humored by this shop in town that advertises "rebuild motors for 499.99 and they have nothing but crap sitting there.) it is very possible that on the newer motor it could be the same thing that the motor was built with parts that werent balanced. this could be why 2 cars on a lot brand new, one could run like a pig and the other is nothing but guts.
maybe dan has an unbalanced motor. of course the driver and mechanic knows best but i thought i would add my $.02
gabe

I also did a test durring the vibration to see if the motor or motor mounts or even the tranny or tranny mounts was the problem. what I did was to put the tranny in neutral durring the vibration and allow the motor to idle and then I would rev it up. the vibration was the same. I've also went through the mounts. I even dropped the tranny into drive with no change.

Man you guys are great. I have a good list to start with. I'm still waiting for my replacement rim to come in. Once they change it out, I'll take it for a test drive. I'll keep you guys up on what is going on.
Thanks again.
Dan

I had a horrible vibration in my 96 Explorer Sport (100,000 miles) whenever it exceeded about 60 mph. My problem was solved a few weeks ago when I took it to get new tires. The guy at Michelin told me that it was just the pressure in the tires that was too low, combined with the bad tires. I had been running at the psi recommended in the manual, but he said to bump it up to around 34psi and it should take care of it. Sure enough, when the new tires were put on and the pressure raised, the problem completely disappeared. It now runs like a dream. No vibrations at all, even up around 85mph. To smooth out the ride even more I slapped on some new rear shocks the other day which have really helped, and today I'm putting on some new front shocks (the bolts are soaking in WD-40 as I type this). Hopefully they'll make the ride even better.

Hi guys,

I had the exact same problem with my 93 4-door.
Shake would start at 100 km/hour(about 60mph) and be gone by 110.
New tires did not fix it.
Went for an alignment and they said my lower ball joints were toast. After I got over my fear that every shop was out to screw me, I let them replace them, and the shaking is gone.

:D

I have had the 60ish shake in my 94 since I got it in 97. Over time, I have replaced all the front-end parts (ball joints, u-joints, bushings) and have not been able to cure the shake. Today I dropped the rear drive shaft off and had it balanced. WOW what a difference. The shake is not gone, but it is 90% better. The remaining shake is unnoticeable by my wife, but I still feel it a little. I am hoping that some extra tight urethane RA bushings will take care of the rest.

Since my last post, I replaced the RA bushings with polyurethane ones. This made the shake worse (much worse). I then replaced the axle pivot bushings and had it aligned. The axle bushings were stock and one bushing was pretty bad. This did it, no more shake. If the shake is still there I can not feel it. This made my Explorer drive better than ever and I would recommend that if you have the 60ish shake to replace the Axle Pivot Bushings with polyurethane ones.

Originally posted by tmanson
I then replaced the axle pivot bushings and had it aligned. The axle bushings were stock and one bushing was pretty bad. This did it, no more shake. If the shake is still there I can not feel it. This made my Explorer drive better than ever and I would recommend that if you have the 60ish shake to replace the Axle Pivot Bushings with polyurethane ones.
Would you mind explaining to me which bushings these are? I can't quite figure out what bushings you are referring to.

Thanks!

To allow the wheel front wheel to move up and down, there are two bushings that accommodate the movement. One is the radius arm bushing that is talked about allot. The other is the axle pivot bushing and is located at the opposite end of the rigid assembly (one assembly holds the differential and the other just holds the wheel) that the wheel is located. They are below the sides of the oil pan 6 inches or so.

I got the bushings from www.explorerexpress.com. If you replace them, let me know how it works.

Good Luck

tmanson,

Thank you, I know exactly what you're talking about now!

I've been having the same problem with my '98 Sport. Put in a new front drive shaft , rotated and rebalanced the tires. Now the dealer says my two front rims, which were on the back are bent inside and that's what's causing the vibration.

I'll be interested in seeing if the new rims fix your problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back