1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Vibration at high speed

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Sndsational, May 27, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sndsational

Sndsational Member

City, State:
      Woonsocket, RI
      Year and Model:
      '00 Ford Explorer Sport
      I was driving on the highway the other day and found that the truck was really shaking....I was doing about 70mph. when I slowed, it seemed to lessen. The vibration seemed to be at the front of the vehichle.

Now, I know I need an alignment and I think I might even have a flat spot in the right front tire (not sure yet though). Anyway, when I went faster to 80mph...it seemed like the vibration shifted to the middle and rear of the vehichle.

I was thinking maybe the driveshaft needed to be balanced. I looked under the truck and it looks as though there is a couple of spots where welds (or glue....whatever they use) was holding on a weight. It is also right near the other weights.

Does anyone think that this is my problem and I should have the driveshaft balanced?

The other question I have is this...I had the front driveshaft replaced....I read that they are supposed to go on the same way they come off....if you spin them you are screwed. How can I tell if it was installed correctly if it was a bone yard replacement off another vehicle?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. NYMount21

NYMount21 Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, New York
      Year and Model:
      '00 Mountaineer Premier
      I'm not one to comment on the driveshaft possibility, but try getting your wheels balanced. Had a similar problem and this fixed it right up. The shop that did your alignment should be able to help you out with that, good luck!