Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Voyager III- Adventure trailer build thread.

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by gmanpaint, May 15, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      I love the big batteries, more juice is always good/better. If you have time, I'd spend extra and powder coat the battery tray base. It will corrode after many years, eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      Nice work :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    4. Spudhut

Spudhut US Navy Submariner Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Bentonville, AR
      1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
      Callsign:
      KG5SPB
      excellent build, cant wait to see the finished product

• Like Like x 1
    5. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Don, I am most likely going to replace the battery tray at some point, with one that is manufactured for them. There is a big aftermarket for this, and I am taking my time shopping for the right price when it comes along. This one will get me buy for now, as the way I am making the tongue box for them, it won't matter to change them up. Those batteries at full charge will last me for days before they need topped off again. I will have means to recharge them while Boondocking, on the move, and by shore.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the Kudo's! :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      It looks cool and well made, but is it big enough to sleep in or is it just to haul everything plus the kitchen sink out to the boonies:dunno: Just hard to get a sense of scale from the photos.

• Like Like x 1
    7. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      You don't sleep in it, you sleep on top of it. :thumbsup:

Interior is for gear storage, power, and a full kitchen with fridge/sink/stovetops, etc...

If anybody wants to see what it will look like after it's done, do a search for Turtleback Trailers. It will be very close to that, including ALL the accessories.

8. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Now I get it :D

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      What kind of water capacity is it gonna have?

10. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Nice. Funny Rick, I just imagined fitting inside one of those compartments to sleep, LOL.

11. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      No less than 25 gals. No more than 40 gals. I have to be somewhat mindful, of all the weight going into it, for towing off/on road with it.

It just depends on the size & weight of the gas inverter that will be next to the tank. There is a ton of RV fresh water tanks to choose from, and I will know better later on in the build.

12. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Sounds reasonable.

13. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      A turtleback... you mean like this?
      turtleback.jpg
      hehehe Sorry, couldn't resist.. :)

Obviously I did look up turtleback trailers. Very nice, though from the ones I've seen that were upside down, (hehe) they aren't built as well as yours is.

14. Four0Sport

Four0Sport Jack Pewe Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      West Virginia
      1993 2dr
    15. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Thanks Mike, just what I needed to see. lol

Yes I am Jack, I'm old now. I'm going exploring as much as I can, before I croak. I'm done with the Off road crawling parks, and the crazy. You younger guys can have it all. :thumbsup:

I need to rephrase that....
      Well, maybe not completely done with them, but I'm pretty much done with the small beat your rig up parks around me. I have only been using them for testing grounds after major mods lately, and will still use them for that I guess. National parks are what I am wanting to see these days. Still into wheeling, just not into the hardcore wooded park crawling with mud for a few blocks at a time. Mountain passes and valley's, Desert's and lakes, trails that go for hundreds of miles. Yeah, relaxing stuff with scenery. Tired of taking hours to set up & tear down camp, tired of all the exhausting packing, and do not want a large camper trailer that can't follow me up the rocky passes to get up & over 14,000 ft Mountains. This will take care of all of that for me.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    16. traveler

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      Couldn't agree more. When I'm offroad, in 4WD, I want a destination... a goal and place to go. Thats why I'm enoying AZ so much. I can have day trips that actually do have a purpose other than to put the truck in 4WD. I can search for abandoned mines, ghost towns, caves, etc. So getting there is 1/2 (well... 2/3) the fun.

And of course with a small trailer like yours the search could go on for days. I'm working on a drive from my home to my in-laws cabin in the mountains (Overgaard AZ) using only trails, and paths. While its a 2.5 hour drive via highway, it could take a couple days via trails.

• Like Like x 1
    17. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Micheal, someday I would like to come visit, and we could spend a few days/nights out in the dessert. I am so wanting to take some night time pictures of the Milky Way. It's on the bucket list. AZ, UT, NM, & CO trails & landscapes, is what this trailer is built for.

• Like Like x 1
    18. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Tongue Box:

I looked at a bunch of aluminum, pre-made bolt on units, and didn't like anything I seen for this trailer. So....I am currently building my own tongue box. This is in progress, and already has been 3 weeks of building a couple hours a night after work. I expect it to take a couple more weeks. There is more to a simple box like this, than one would imagine. I already mentioned I am slow, and this item really showcases just how slow I am. I think I am doing pretty well for a beginner, and this entire build is my first attempt doing anything like this. But, my thinking might be flawed, as I am talking about myself. lol

This box is going to store many crucial items for the operations of this trailer to function. It is what I think of as the brain box.

Frame: 1/2"x1/2"x.063" sq tube.
      Bottom: 14 gauge sheet
      Shell: 16 Gauge sheet
      Lid: 3/4" Angle & 1/2" sq tube frame & 16 gauge sheet
      Hinges: Flush mount stainless
      Trim: 3/4" Aluminum angle & flat stock
      Shelf: 1.5" angle bracket & 5/8" lumber
      Paint: Self etching primer & single stage Jet black Urethane
      Seals: 3/8" D Bulb & black silicone for interior seams.
      Mounts: 5/8" Bolt and 1/8" plate, pinned to trailer frame
      Dimensions: 48" wide x 18: deep x 22" high back & 18" high front

So a little back story first. I originally bought a job box that I was going to modify. After I put the spare tire on, I instantly had a "Derp" moment. I seen that I wouldn't be able to get the spare tire on/off, with this box once mounted. There is only 1" space between the tire & the box. The mount is made that it would stop the tire from rolling to the sides and off. So instead of changing the tire mount up, I decided to change the box. You would think the tire mount would have been the better choice, and much easier, but I am not wired that way. Modifying both the tire mount, & the box, made it an easy choice for me, and I chose to make a box, that would work how I wanted it too. Besides, I like being different in some things, and this is a nice personal touch, that has my name on it.

The new objective:

Build a box that can allow access to the spare tire, have room for all that is going inside, and can be worked on with my big mitts, and cosmetically flow with the trailer, to look as if it belongs. Easier said then done!!!!

So after some brainstorming over many morning cups of coffee, staring at this thing, the new idea finally hit me. Grabbed a pencil & tape measure, and put the idea to paper. Hmm... should work, let's go for it!

The build so far: Part 1

Started out with the outer frame and the 1/2" tube
      Added the angle iron for the shelf mount

frame 1.jpg
      frame 2.jpg
      frame 3.jpg
      frame 4.jpg
      frame 5.jpg
      frame 6.jpg
      frame 7.jpg

19. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Tongue box build part 2:

Once the frame was made, it was time to add some strength with a few gussets here and there. This is also the time, the brainstorming idea starts for the tire access. I figure I won't be needing to get to the tire a whole lot, and in the life time of use, how many times, will it actually be needed, compared to everyday use? Not much, and the box itself will be used daily. All I am after is to be able to get to the tire if needed.

My solution is this.... Make the box to be able to swing away enough to get the tire off/on on one side. Passenger side was chosen for access as that is the safe side here in the states, for our roads shoulders. That means, the pivot point is on the drivers side ( Left side if your in one of those weird backwards countries :p )

How to make the pivot, and how to implement it?
      Because of the amount of use this would actually ever see, I chose not to use a high dollar fancy bearing type pivot. I chose to go old school, with a bolt and tube. After adding some 1/8" plate to the corner I had laying around from another project, I cut to length, a 1" schedule 40 round tube, and welded a 5/8" nut to the top of it. That pipe than got welded to the plate and lower frame. A hole was drilled thru the 2"x3" frame rail, underneath the pipe location. A 5/8" x 7" bolt with washer was ran thru the frame from below, thru the pipe, and threaded into the nut. Bam, a swivel that works.

So now that the box has to slide across the expanded sheet metal, to open up, I decided to add the floor to the top side of the lower frame tube, and let the box slide on the 1/2" tube itself. This also gives me a little space under it. Some bracing was added to the corners on the bottom with more 1/2" sq. Then the 14 gauge flooring was added. Mind you, this is all being done by hand with cut off wheels on a grinder. My nibbler won't cut this heavier gauge, no plasma cutter here, and the grinder is the next cleanest thing to cut with. I clamped some angle iron to the edge of my work table, and used another pc as a cutting guide. This work about breaks my back leaning over, and being half blind, I need my face into it. Yes, proper face protection was used. lol

The corner plate.

pivot plate gussets on.jpg

The pipe for the swivel

pivot tube & nut on 1.jpg
      Support Bracing

frame gussets 1.jpg
      frame gussets 2.jpg

The shelf needed a good support mount, so more angle was used. For the outer shell, more bracing was added as well.

shelf angle on.jpg
      shelf angle 2.jpg

All my booger welds was cleaned up at this time, in preparations for the outside skins. I only welded on the outsides where I needed to, but all inside seams, was completely hot glued together.

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Tongue box build part 3:

The bottom flooring was cut by using the bottom of the box itself, and traced onto a 2'x4' sheet of 14 ga. Once I cut that out, I cut all the slots for the vertical tubes and the corner swing pipe and plate. I got lucky, and only had to tweak one spot after a test fit. Stitch welded it into place on both sides, and around the tubes.

Now that there is a floor in it, the sides can be made. For the back, it was simple. I laid it on another 2'x4" sheet of 16 gauge, traced it, and cut it. It was at this time, I thought about the hinge, and decided to cut the top off and add some 1/8" flat stock for the hinge.

Bottom shelf 1.jpg
      Back panel on.jpg
      Before I could add any other sides, I had to finish the mount tabs. These are 4"x1/8" plates welded to the bottom frame tubes, with a 1/2" hole drilled thru the centers. They will be securing the box front with clevis pins thru the front trailer frame rails.

I am now in the process of making the rest of the side panels out of the 16 gauge sheet. Using some thick poster board, I made my templates to use on the sheets of 16 gauge. Each panel will be spot welded on the edges, and on the insides to the frame itself. the gaps left will be filled with the body seam filler. Once painted, these seams will be covered with aluminum trims to match the trailers main box.

I will update as I go, but this is as far as I am with the tongue box.

paper mock up 1.jpg
      paper mock up 2.jpg
      Paper mock up 3.jpg

That lower opening you see in that last picture, is where this will be mounted. It is the main control panel for the entire trailer. AC/DC 10 switch w/circuit breakers, 12v port and gauge, Marine IP67, aluminum faced with rubber gasket.It is made for a boat. Should be fine for the occasional rain.

control panel.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    21. traveler

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      That sounds awesome. The Lost Dutchman state park actually has an astronomer come in sometimes and talk about astronomy, the stars, moon, etc. He then shows you what it is you're looking at in the sky, pointing out the stellar objects using a powerful laser pointer. Its actually very informative and entertaining.

For info on AZ trails and what is on them check this out:
      Find Your Next Offroad Trail | Trails Offroad

• Like Like x 1
    22. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      That control panel is

1E0F05F2-85D4-4CD2-BF98-C41417D87DCC.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    23. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Traveler.... I know someone that contributes to that website, but in CO. You almost met him, but we had no cell service when we was camping up in the Mtn's to reach him in time. lol I do like that site tho. I can't wait until I can get this thing built, and ready for adventures. Heck, it might make me move closer to where I want to be with it. :)

Thanks Mbrooks. I dig it too. Wait until you see the rest of the goodies piled up here, waiting to be installed. :D

24. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I’m excited for you. I toyed on making a fire road type of version out of a stripped down pop up, some larger tires and a bunch of repurposed stuff. But now, it seems far too sissified.

• Like Like x 1
    25. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      If it gets where you want it to go, and makes life more enjoyable, do it to it. I waited many years to do this and wished I did something, anything, other than wait. I feel my best years have passed me, and regret not doing something earlier. I'm making up for it now, but will never recoop the lost time.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Yeah, I hear you. I spent too much of my life dragging around a $3,000 bike with a $12,000 truck, I wish I had done that the other way around. Now I’m too old to ride the way I like, and don’t really feel like settling. I’m thinking I could make a serviceable most-terrain pop up in the $1,500 range and keep it under 2,000 pounds wet. That way I could pull it with whatever I get after my Mounty is no longer trustable on long trips.

• Like Like x 1