Want advice about rustproofing...

mountaineer2004

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NYS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer (AWD V8)
I consider my 183k, 2004 Mountaineer to be in its mid-life right about now.
I'd like to keep my vehicle for about double its life now...so about 15 more years.
I'm willing to fix just about anything on the car. The guides and tensioners were recently done.

Do you think I should get it rustproofed/undercoated?
I figure the only thing that can kill this car is frame rust.
Or am I worrying too much, and should forget about rustproofing?

Will the frame last 30 years? I live in NY State.

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you seen the underside of your car? Mine doesnt look to bad and I live near NY. I think another 15 years is probably pushing it for these vehicles. I didnt rust proof but I did take some sprake and hit some spots that looked a little like they could be a probably in 5 years or more.

I would only recommend oil rustproofing on any vehicle. Just had our 2013 Camry rustproofed the other day by Krown for the first time. If it is the first time they will have to drill holes in strategic areas to ensure all areas are covered. Prone areas on the Explorer are the dog legs in front of the rear wheels and the top of the front wheel openings. My Explorer has running boards that require frequent re-sprays underneath.

Unless your body's pristine under the Tupperware/running boards the chances of it not rusting through terribly in 15 years is quite low.

Undercoating will help slow things, but nothing, at all, stops rust. How rusty is the frame? Cab mounts?

You'd be better off finding a low mile, clean vehicle than keeping this one going for another 15 years. I'd rock it until the next time the cassettes go bad or you have a trans failure, then I'd look for a low mileage v8.

Yes, maybe it is a bit optimistic for 15 years more.
I guess that's like people consider themselves middle age at 55, yeah if you're planning to live till 110 it is haha.
Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it !

Get yourself some clr or phosphoric acid and some second skin undercoating. Lightly wire brush spray the clr then mask and spray the under coating. This has been on my 1st gen for years.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and prevent it best you can. Probably worth crawling under and checking out the frame and cab mounts. My frame rotted in front of the rear spring hangers from being packed with dirt that was constantly wet

^^ True, doing something is better than doing nothing. I'll check it out, thanks...

Back