Want to fit Goodyear MT/Rs - what size (2004 XLT)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to fit Goodyear MT/Rs - what size (2004 XLT)?

Hi guys,

I currently have a stock 2004 Explorer XLT and would like to fit a set of Goodyear MT/R's on my current wheels without performing any mods. What will the best size be for my setup? They don't come in the stock size...

Thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I can ask, what in the world are you putting MT/R's on a 3rd gen Explorer for?

If you want to, you'd probably have to get the 245/75R16 ones. I think most Ex's come with 245 tires stock, but 17" wheels instead. So you might need new rims.

I've got a set of 33's on my Jeep and I like the way the smaller ones look on the Rubis so I thought I might like them on my Explorer as well... My stock tires are 235x70x16, so I won't need new rims, but I wanted to see what sizes others had tried before...

You may just be the first to put MT/Rs on a 3rd gen Explorer :)

I'd say go with 31s, but I dont know the metric eq. for 16" wheels.

A buddy of mine (BenS) fit 285/75/16s on his 03 with out any lift or trimming.

attachment.php

Doug said:
A buddy of mine (BenS) fit 285/75/16s on his 03 with out any lift or trimming.

attachment.php

wow that looks awesome... nice 2nd gen EB wheels too! I bet they stick out a ton due to the backspacing....

I just ordered 265/70R17's for my 2nd gen, with 4th gen wheels... I will take photos with them on my X and on my dad's 03', just for comparative purposes... only thing that sucks is the price... $185 per tire! YIKES!

I was going to be asking the same ? for my O3 4dr .. looks like i will find out soon, I hope.
I thought 245/75-16 were going to be pushin it with rubbing and such. those 285/75/16s must have some rubbing problems, NO? They look massive

I think there are probably a lot new X owner that want to do this sort of thing.
I am getting transfrd to VA next summer and i think i will be doing some sand driving so a good tire change will be a must. I realize now that there most likely will not be a lift for the new Gen X but how much clearance do U need for Beach/Sand anyway?

I am new here and would like to know if there are any posts for New Gen X Locker or LS difs anywhere here. I didn't know when i bought the thing that you had to get a trailer tow package to get LS. Would i be better off trading for an x that already has the LS Dif?
take care
Jeff
KF2Rc

Doug,

Is there an offset diffrence between the Gen 2 wheel and the Gen 3 wheels. Also you said your fiend doesn't have any rubbing, is that on and off road worried about suspention travel. I would like to change my Mickey's out for something like that when I need tires. also how are your friends brakes, being that there would be more outward rotational force ae the brakes capable of handeling them.

Thanks,
Harry

Ok, excuse me half worn 285/75r16s should fit. honestly I don't know what the difference in backspacing there is if any. And as far as going offroad your truck doesn't have any wheel travel to begin with so it's probably not to much of an issue. Braking will obviously be affected but it shouldn't be to great.

Back