• Register Today It's free!

Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters

AndyF

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 2006
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply blow the insides out just incase I get a piece of paper or something else inside. Apparently the auto MFGs may have a valid point when they say you shouldn't use products from other sources.

Went out to buy an oil filter for my new ranger and found the 10$ price tag for a Motocraft filter a bit steep. I looked at a Quaker State filter and just happened to run my finger in the thread hole. My finger was coated with a grey film that I recognized as oil and particles of steel about the size of 600 grit paper. I put that one back and started to open all the filter boxes of my type motor. They were all the same except one was worse and had 2 grains of larger size particles clearly visible.

Can't imagine what this stuff would do to close tolerance crankshaft journals made of bronze. It would be just like sandpaper on them. In fact the bronze would absorb the particles and act has a holder for the them. It is scary to think that this stuff is on the "Inflow" part of the filter. If you think they allow this much care for the part of the filter we can see, what else do they botch up and we don't know about.

I bought the Motocraft filter just the same and the thread portion was just as clean as a whistle. Can't remember how many times I used Quaker State on my other trucks.

This problem is clearly a lack of cleanliness on their part and shows the lack of quality control and sincerity when they state they produce a reliable product. Can't get into their site to let em know.

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lesson learned : Check the filter *BEFORE* you by reguardless of brand for aformentioned particles and issues.

I think they own Penzoil as well. I was told not to use Penzoil on Ford engines, they tend to have sludge buildup.... I though Toyotas does that! Anway, good to know.

thanks for the heads up. I never thought about looking inside the filter...damn.

That's really something. I would love to have a macro pic of that stuff and put it on the internet and see what they have to say? I'm going to check it out on my side of town today. I'll post pic if I can sweet talk the manager to let me borrow one. Hell I'll just buy it, save receipt and then take it back.

It must be some kind of machining fluid I would think. Maybe some kind of graphit. But you say you can easily feel the grit. This needs to be further researched. I'am going to jump on this like a duck on a June Bug.

It would be nice if you had the Lot #s of the case it came in. Just in case this is a singular incident.

Follow up:

I checked the filters at another store, and found one with a shiny sliver of steel. It occured to me that I'm only checking the top of the thread. If I weren't so obvious, I'd bring a Q Tip and check the thread valleys too. I should have looked for a batch number for comparison MFG date and location.

While screwing these things on, the thread travel would force all this junk backward until it finally dumped out into the "outflow" chamber. Nasty.

Finally got an e-mail addy, no response after 2 days. I think they'll try to bury this one, after all, imagine the millions of recalls. To them not worth the effort. I'll keep you posted, maybe they'll actually take responsibility.

Found this site for more info on Filters. My appologies if it has already been quoted on this forum.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#quaker

Andy

rookieshooter said:
That's really something. I would love to have a macro pic of that stuff and put it on the internet and see what they have to say? I'm going to check it out on my side of town today. I'll post pic if I can sweet talk the manager to let me borrow one. Hell I'll just buy it, save receipt and then take it back.

It must be some kind of machining fluid I would think. Maybe some kind of graphit. But you say you can easily feel the grit. This needs to be further researched. I'am going to jump on this like a duck on a June Bug.

It would be nice if you had the Lot #s of the case it came in. Just in case this is a singular incident.

I think so too. I get the same thing when I do some threading work. I don't feel the smaller stuff, but you can see the particles shine in the sunlight. I felt the larger 2 particles though.

Andy

Yes you should get credit for this. Glad to see you staying on top of this. I'm still going to look at a few and I'll get back with you. If eoungh of us find similar crap maybe more people complaining we would get an anserwer. I'll forward my findings to you. Keep us posted on any feedback from them.

Auto zone and Advanced auto don't even carry them where I live. So much for checking the filters at those places. Walmart?

Aren't they part of "Fram" Signal Allie??

My last one was motomastor, the one before was fram.. i will keep an eye on it for sure next time, thanks for the info :).

Ive only used Havoline oil and Motorcraft oil filters on all my engines.

ive always been told FRAM was junk, didnt know quackerstate was owned by them. whew, never using that junk haha.

i use stp, never used quaker or fram though. motor craft, havent used them for a looooong time.

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd comment about the above mentioned oil filters and other automotive parts in general.

Years ago I worked at an automotive warehouse and the defective parts return rate is more than you can ever imagine for all the product lines. For example I've sent pallet loads of defective oil and air filters back to AC for just the reasons mentioned above. I've seen grit and thread damage not to mention dents in brand new oil filters that came straight from manufacturers. I've seen where air filters came in warped, melted rubber, glue saturated, or just plain moldy once again from the manufacturers.

I've filled out labor claims because oil filters literally blew off the engine with the oil filter threads still on the engine. $1,500 claims against the manufacturer for an oil filter that cost the manufacturer $1-3 dollars to make. Wrong bearing placed in rebuilt water pumps, power steering units, alternators, starters, etc. that caused total engine failure.

The reason for this is that manufacturers will do everything within their power to get the product produced for as cheap as possible as fast as possible. They ALL keep a legal staff that know every trick in the book to get the labor claims for "their" defective parts placed back on the consumer and/or mechanic.

What to do? Always inspect your parts before you buy them. An oil filter costing $10 can just as easily be defective as one that cost $3. Not only look at that oil or air filter, but also check that water pump to make sure the metal mating surface isn't chipped, cracked, warped, or the waterpump bearing is pressed flush into the housing.

By-the-way, if you are fortunate enough to find an autopart store to even file a labor claim because of defective part damage you will at best receive 10-25 percent of what you ask. Most require the defective parts to be installed by a certified mechanic, even if it is something as simple as installing an air filter. The labor claim could even take up to 2 years. I've seen the business office for the warehouse refuse to pay manufacturers for 18-wheeler truck loads of parts because a manufacturer would not pay for their defective parts and labor claims in a timely manner(within 6 months). Some manufacturers subcontract the defective parts side of their business to over-seas companies. At one time AC required us to send all defective parts to a company that only employed physical and mental handicaps - I kid you not. Credit for those defective parts would take a minimum of 6 months to receive.

Back