Warrior 153 shackles install with pics | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

I did my shackles today, took alot longer then i expected. I had some bad problems with rust issues and ****ty bolts. It was all done, came out nice, cant wait for AAL next.
thanks for the help.
-Kug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wont like the ride quality of shackles and AAL.. its really really stiff. A nice set of lift springs in the rear makes the entire truck ride soooo much better. I just realized I dont even have my warrior shackles anymore, I took them off cause I kept beating them agaisnt rocks and sold them to a friend. Ahh, memories.

You wont like the ride quality of shackles and AAL.. its really really stiff. A nice set of lift springs in the rear makes the entire truck ride soooo much better. I just realized I dont even have my warrior shackles anymore, I took them off cause I kept beating them agaisnt rocks and sold them to a friend. Ahh, memories.

I disaggree with that! I have the AAL and the shackles and LOVE it. You see every explorer going down the road with the rear sagging lower than the front and it looks retarded. The AAL for mine is perfect, I tow a lot and with the quads and trailer it sitts perfect level with the fornt. You wont be disapointed with the AAL!!

well i havent done any TT yet, my front is slightly lower then the rear looks nice and feels good. INstead of doing the AAL, to put in new lift springs...would that be too much? i mean after the tt, and lift springs? Im also considering the 3" BL, so im looking for some advice here, like pros and cons if you got any.
-Kug

lift springs would give you a little more height and keep a little softer ride, also more $ than the aal though. So i depends on what you want to do. I only did an inch and quarter TT. I wanted to keep my CV's well inside their best range and I have 31's so mine sits great. As far as Body Lifts I dont much care for them, I dont like the look of them, the frame is hanging way out under it anyways. So I built roc sliders to protect the body. So anyways thats my opinion! :) Happy 2010 wheelin!!!

yea im not into too much wheelin yet, theres not around me in jersey, last time i went, i completely broke my drive shaft and rear Diff, and that was without any lift or anything. Now with the new shackles im looking for a little more lift for some bigger tires, and from what ive read, suspension lifts are too expensive and the body lift is so cheap, but its a lot of work. could you send me a link of where you bought your AAL? im curious and currently weighing out my options!. thanks turbo.
-Kug

I got mine at six states. Mine is a 3/4 length at a leaf. $50 or so. Body lifts keep in mind only lift your body nit the truck itself. Your axles frame and T-Case skid plate will all still be at the same height. Just in case you didn't know before you spent the money. Anyways let us know what you decide to do!

Well after doing some looking around. Instead pf replacing my leaf springs maybe ill jsut do the SOA modification. that way i get more lift, and to help even it out, i can do the TT in the front which i havent touched yet? Anyone know anything about this stuff?
-Kug

the SOA will give you WAY to much lift! You put the axle under the leafs and you will have think they figured 6 inches of lift and at very best the TT can only give you 2" So you will be four inches higher in the rear! Will look goofy. Even with the super lift, the front is to low still and thats a 4" lift in the front.

Okay, and whats the best way to lift the fronn 4"? COSTLY?!
-Kug

I disaggree with that! I have the AAL and the shackles and LOVE it. You see every explorer going down the road with the rear sagging lower than the front and it looks retarded. The AAL for mine is perfect, I tow a lot and with the quads and trailer it sitts perfect level with the fornt. You wont be disapointed with the AAL!!

I hated the ride.. and it was way too stiff offroad

On my old 98 X I had the leaf packs reset as well as AAD (all for a 40mm lift),the results were -
Pro's - on the tarmac it stayed flat on the road even when cornering at speed on the h/ways, could carry more weight & tow without the saggy ass syndrome, the lift meant I could go more places with less chance of damage, most road bumps where ok but........
Con's - speed bumps had to be taken slower (a lot), on dirt it tended to skip around a bit when 1st hit corrugations till it settled (which it did after 5-10sec), when going over rougher dirt roads you needed to go a bit slower as any big bump/hole & the rear end would definitely feel more
I think that just about covers my experience with that as I now have extended shackles & coil over leaf :D

very usefully write-up i want warriors for mine but lack of funds atm =[

I went down to the local engineering/metal work shop & got mine made from specs off here for less than half the price of warriors & just as solid. :D

11_shackle_dims_01a.jpg

autozone shackles are almost the same for 20$

theres no way they are almost the same.. the autozone and other parts store shackles are just 2 slabs of cheap metal, the warriors are high grade steel with a support welded in themiddle to reduce binding and increase strength. parts store shackles scare me, I wont even sell them.

theres no way they are almost the same.. the autozone and other parts store shackles are just 2 slabs of cheap metal, the warriors are high grade steel with a support welded in themiddle to reduce binding and increase strength. parts store shackles scare me, I wont even sell them.

well ya, sorry I was tired when I wrote that, the auto zones are flimsy, but they give about the same lift is what i meant...

Agreed!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do i have to life my ex to put the shackles on. if so i read two different things on this thread lift it from the "pumpkin" which i assume if the differential. or lift it from the frame. if im lifting from the diff i dont see a point in lifting it.

Back