Was PATS optional equipment? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Was PATS optional equipment?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was PATS optional equipment for the 1998 model year?
Most likely not. I have the original sticker for my 98, and PATS did not appear on the options list. In fact, it did not appear on the sticker at all - even though it was there. Note, however, that mine is a late build 98, sometimes called 98-1/2 - could be different for earlier builds.

Long story short. I am helping someone get a 5.0l drivetrain working in a 1990 Bronco II. The donor explorer allegedly did not use a PATS key to run. I did see the donor explorer run and drive, I just can't recall what the key looked like. I was just wondering if PATS was optional equipment.

If the donor explorer did use PATS, my theory is I should be able to get the engine running as long as I wire up all the PATS components. I have the Ford electrical and vacuum troubleshooting book. Then, as long as I have the PATS key inside the Bronco II when I attempt to start it, PATS should be able to query the PATS key and to tell the PCM It's safe to run.

Is that theory sound?

If you have access to all of the components to match the keys, you’d also have to have two original keys to make subsequent new keys.

PATS can be disabled with some tuning prograns, and there is a way to program keys using the FORscan program and a laptop.

Time is a factor, unfortunately. I am holding out hope that PATS was optional for the donor explorer. I haven't found anything definitive that says PATS was standard for the 98 model year, which means I have to wait for the key to be mailed to me by the guy I am doing the work for.

PATS absolutely was not optional in 98. It’s surely a PATS vehicle.

98 is pats ,

'98 was the first year for PATS. It was not an "option" it was standard equipment.

For future reference, I would suggest that when one asks a question here, they tell the whole story upfront instead of dripping it slowly as answers start coming in. Much more efficient for you and less frustrating for those who, in good faith, provided answers.

Back