Water in my passenger side floor pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water in my passenger side floor pan

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
I was cleaning my EX today and pulled up my rubber mats. On my passenger side it was soaking wet! It does not smell like coolant and it isn't Slimey either. It has rained quite a bit here recently so I think there is a plugged drain or broken seal somewhere. This person in this link had the same problem 2007 explorer: leaks..passenger floor everytime it rains..cant find…

The Ford tech talks about removing the "kicker panel" on the passenger side and to look into the "pillar" to remove some foam and crap and then open up a flap. I have no idea where they are talking about and I'm not sure which panel they are referring too. Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me. Thank for any help in advance :)

Im asuming it's the panel near the passengers right foot with the fuel thing behind it.

Okay I figured out what to do... if you're passenger side carpet is wet what you want to do is pull the kick panel, it's the panel that's directly next to your right foot and it pulls straight back if you're sitting in the doorway. I found it helpful to also pull the piece of trim that sits flat on the floor where the door closes, it's directly behind the kick panel and you just pry it straight up. Once you have the kick panel off you need to look for a circular hole near the bottom of the A pillar. It has foam insulation inside. Take a pick and needle nose pliers and pull as much of the insulation out as you can and dig downward mainly. You will come across a plastic barrier that you will only be able to feel, you can't see it. You need to take a screwdriver with a decent sized head and stick it down the hole until you can feel it make contact with the plastic flap/barrier at the bottom. Then hit the top of the screwdriver with a hammer to bend or break the plastic piece down or to at least open it up, this will open the channel in the A pillar and allow the water to run out of the car.

I found out where the leak was coming from by placing my garden hose on top of my car and letting it run over the sunroof and windshield. It took a few minutes but I spotted the leak just below the hole I described for the fix, it looked like some sort of bondo like sealant was starting to deteriorate. After I cleaned out the foam and broke the plastic piece down I ran water over the sunroof and windshield again and the water stayed out of the passenger footwell and out of the car. I used a little RTV silicone over the place I saw the water first coming in just for good measure and hopefully prevent it from getting any worse. Hope this helps someone :)

Back