and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Water Leak

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2017 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Ott23, September 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      I purchase a 2011 Limited 4WD Explorer in July. I was recently on vacation this past weekend and encountered a lot of rain. When my 8 year old sat in the 3rd row and buckled the seatbelt, water started streaming down the webbing and I also noticed water on the speaker grill. This has happened twice so far.

This was the on the Right Rear 3rd Row. Any idea where the water is entering?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member

I am having the exact same problem on my 2011 XLT. I brought it to the dealer and put a hose on the roof pointing towards the back and the water was leaking in. He sent it to a water guy who had it in a booth simulating a rain storm and the guy said he can't find the problem. He said he has the entire rear interior off. NOT what I wanted to hear.

Did you find your leak?

4. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      I'm no expert on auto dealerships and dealer-mechanics, but based on your description it sounds like the mechanic put it in some sort of special rain simulator booth? I doubt dealerships have such things. My guess is that is code for - "the mechanic is in a paint booth with a hose." Sounds to me like you need to offer to show the mechanic the leak yourself as you apparantely can reproduce it.

While your at it, show him the rain noise problem. If they have half your headliner down, they may as well fix that too. Search the forum and you'll know what I'm talking about.

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member

I showed the dealer the problem and he acknowledged it. He said he has it at a place that has 8 water jets that hit the car like a rain storm.

I'll check out the noise problem.

Thanks!

6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member

My dealer got back to me today. He said they found the leak. Not only did they find the one I told them about, but found another one the drivers side. He said it was the seams. The sealant they use, he said it was some goo or something, seemed to fail. He said I should have it back in a few days.

7. gdecamp

gdecamp Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year and Model:
      11 X Limited AWD
      My wife has a Saab 93 Aero. She was getting water on the carpet and they could not find the source of the problem for over a year. Finally someone figured out that there is a hose that drains the sunroof somewhere that is suppose to take the water and I guess shoot it down to the road....well it was clogged and split and leaked water into the front passenger carpet. Not only did they fix it but they removed all the carpeting in the car, front and back, and replaced it with new factory carpeting. They did the right thing, mold can be nasty!!

Hope yours is quicker and easier to find....do you have a sunroof?? ;)

8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member

No I don't have a sunroof, they found the leak it was the seams. Should have it back Friday.

9. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      The dealer had my vehicle for a week and could not find the problem. They tried hosing it with water and taking it to a car wash and still could not find the leak. When it did finally rain, they left the car out but had it parked facing down hill. The water drained off the front of the vehicle even though they knew the leak was in the 3rd row compartment - not too smart. Still they could not find the leak.

Regardless that it has now happened on 3 separate rain days and I have photographic evidence, the dealer can not fix it until they actually see the leak and source themselves

It rains on average 138 days in the Detroit area. $48,000 for a vehicle that I can only drive 2/3 of the year.

Not too happy right now.....

10. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Thanks for letting me know they found your leak. I'll share this with the Dealer.

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member

You're welcome. I was supposed to get it back today, but they said they found a third leak!! This one was by the tailgate. That's 3 leaks in a brand new car.

But at least they found them. I was worried they were going to tell me the same thing they told you.

12. Spengracin

Spengracin Active Member

City, State:
      Fairfield, Ca
      Year and Model:
      2012 AWD Limited
      Great another issue with the ex, maybe the extra robots quality control is not so good, hire a humans!

13. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      My car was leaking again and I just returned it back to the Dealer. They saw the same leak. Where were your leaks located? Who was your Dealer so they can communicate the process to fix it?

Thanks Again

14. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Year and Model:
      Ott23,
      I’m happy to help get the leak taken care of by sending an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do this, send me a PM with your dealer information, VIN, approximate mileage, and contact info. I’m confident they will lend a hand to fix the problem once and for all.

Cory

Last edited: September 20, 2011
    15. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Water Leak Fixed

After 2 weeks in the shop, they finally located and fixed the water leak. It was a cracked seal between the roof and rear quarter panel.

It rained all last week and no water came in.

16. chimoman

chimoman B

City, State:
      New Brunswick
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 2011 Ltd
      XLT= X tra L eaky T hirdrow.

Just a joke, no need for some jackass response. This was jackass enough

17. toddp

toddp New Member

City, State:
      Ohio
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer
      cabin water leak

I had the same problem with water running down the rear driver side seatbelt when it rained in my one month old 2011 Explorer. I saw some threads where it could be the roof seams and when I contacted Ford they said there is no TSB for this and there was not a known fix. After leaving it at the dealer for them to check out I get a call saying it is fixed and they had a water guy come in and find the leak and he re-sealed the roof and quarter panel. The dealer couldn't tell me what they used and I am now concerned with how long this product will last. I am pretty sure the seam was welded at the factory and now I have some goop sealing it. not good

18. scotty7676

scotty7676 New Member

City, State:
      FL
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Add me to the list of leaky right rear seatbelt leaks! In my used 2011 Limited, went to open the hatch today in the rain to load groceries and noticed water running down the 3rd row seatbelt. I only noticed it when the rear hatch was opened. Drove home into the garage, opened the rear hatch and it was dry, no water....so I'm guessing it only does it when the rear hatch is open. In any case, I'm going to call the local dealer and ask if he knows of the problem, otherwise I'm not going to waste my time and rental car money for them to have it for 2 weeks and tell me they don't find anything.

19. scotty7676

scotty7676 New Member

City, State:
      FL
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Well, just realized it leaks all the time, not only when the rear hatch is open.

20. harlenm

harlenm Active Member

City, State:
      Shelton, CT
      Year and Model:
      2013 Limited(lemon swap)
      Mine leaks too. Had it fixed last week, was at the dealer for 5 days. Has only rained once, so not enough to tell if it still leaks as it is an intermittent problem.

21. lbcharger

lbcharger New Member

City, State:
      Chester,IL
      Year and Model:
      2012 Ford Explorer
      3rd row seatbelt water leak

Mine was leaking too. Dealer tried to fix it but failed. I narrowed it down to a body seam about 6 in long right in front of rear hatch hinges. I sealed these and also around hinges.No more leak. It's hard to get the leak to show when hatch is closed because weatherstrip channels roof water to the sides of the hinge channel.

22. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Year and Model:
      I want to see the leak found, scotty7676; please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage so I can forward the details to your regional Customer Service Manager.

I see you have a follow-up scheduled, harlenm. Let me know via PM if you’d like Angela to call sooner.

I’m glad the leak is gone, lbcharger… I wouldn’t want your skin to start pruning up. ;)

Cory

23. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Not Happy....

I just found another Water Leak in my Explorer. It was in the dealer for 2 weeks last year for the same problem. They insured me that it was fixed!

Guess Again. Now I have to through this all over again.

The interior did not get put back together correctly the last time. Headliner, A Piller, B Piller, C Piller & D Piller Trim panels have to come off in order to fix.

It came back with the trim panels loose. Dealer stated that was normal.

I recommend that all Explorer owner check the 3rd row after it rains. Check the 3rd row seat belt for dampness, water on the speaker grills, water on the carpet......

Most of the time, drivers do not have occupants sitting in the 3rd row, so they would never know they have a water leak. This has many implications for causing future problems.

- Rust on the Seat belt retractor - Potential failure in crash
      - Water soaked carpet - Mold
      - Water on speaker wires - Shorted out or Inop.
      - Rust on seat Brackets / Bolts - Failure in crash

This is a list of all the problems that I have had the past 11 months.
      1 - Rear bumper loose. Missing manufacturing clips
      2 - Navigation didn't work (1st time) - Replaced Card
      3 - Navigation still didn't work (2nd time) - replaced Hub
      4 - Water Leak in cabin (1st time) - One week in the shop - Dealer couldn't find leak.
      5 - Water Leak in cabin - (2nd Time) - Oh Yeah there it is - Another week in shop - broken seal. They say its fixed.
      6 - Loose Trim Panels on A,B & C pillars - Dealer stated that's normal - Really???
      7 - Back Up Camera doesn't work (intermittent)- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
      8 - Phone doesn't Sync anymore- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
      9 - Just received the MFT upgrade - very simple instructions. Turn vehicle on, Turn Audio on, insert USB upgrade, follow instructions - takes about 1 hour. 4 hours into the upgrade the installation was stuck on "installing 3 of 15". I couldn't leave it running all night so I was forced to shut it off. Turned the vehicle back on in the morning and nothing was working - The whole center stack was completely blank. Nothing would turn on. Back to the Dealer. Dealer gave a loner because they can't figure it out.
      10 - Just found another Water Leak............Another week in the shop.

Good luck to future buyer............you need it.

Last edited by a moderator: July 10, 2012
    24. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Not Happy.....

I just found another Water Leak in my Explorer. It was in the dealer for 2 weeks last year for the same problem. They insured me that it was fixed!

Guess Again. Now I have to through this all over again.

The interior did not get put back together correctly the last time. Headliner, A Piller, B Piller, C Piller & D Piller Trim panels have to come off in order to fix.

It came back with the trim panels loose. Dealer stated that was normal. They will probably be hanging by a thread this time around.

I recommend that all Explorer owner check the 3rd row after it rains. Check the 3rd row seat belt for dampness, water on the speaker grills, water on the carpet......

Most of the time, drivers do not have occupants sitting in the 3rd row, so they would never know they have a water leak. This has many implications for causing future problems.

- Rust on the Seat belt retractor - Potential failure in crash
      - Water soaked carpet - Mold
      - Water on speaker wires - Shorted out or Inop.
      - Rust on seat Brackets / Bolts - Failure in crash

This is a list of all the problems that I have had the past 11 months.
      1 - Rear bumper loose. Missing manufacturing clips
      2 - Navigation didn't work (1st time) - Replaced Card
      3 - Navigation still didn't work (2nd time) - replaced Hub
      4 - Water Leak in cabin (1st time) - One week in the shop - Dealer couldn't find leak.
      5 - Water Leak in cabin - (2nd Time) - Oh Yeah there it is - Another week in shop - broken seal. They say its fixed.
      6 - Loose Trim Panels on A,B & C pillars - Dealer stated that's normal - Really???
      7 - Back Up Camera doesn't work (intermittent)- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
      8 - Phone doesn't Sync anymore- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
      9 - Just received the MFT upgrade - very simple instructions. Turn vehicle on, Turn Audio on, insert USB upgrade, follow instructions - takes about 1 hour. 4 hours into the upgrade the installation was stuck on "installing 3 of 15". I couldn't leave it running all night so I was forced to shut it off. Turned the vehicle back on in the morning and nothing was working - The whole center stack was completely blank. Nothing would turn on. Back to the Dealer. Dealer gave a loner because they can't figure it out.
      10 - Just found another Water Leak............Another week in the shop.

Good luck to future buyer............you need it.

Last edited by a moderator: July 3, 2012
    25. phareous

phareous Active Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, NC
      Year and Model:
      2013 Ford Explorer Limite
      Were they loose before you took it in the first time? If not, then how can it be normal? I would expect to get it back in the same condition or better than when I left it

26. harlenm

harlenm Active Member

City, State:
      Shelton, CT
      Year and Model:
      2013 Limited(lemon swap)
      My headliner was not pulled to fix water leak. It was done from outside the vehicle.