Water Leak | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update: 11/13/11
So our Ex is going in again to the dealer. Sandy rained on us an the roof leaked again. Beside our roof leak my wife is getting a low oil pressure warning light when oil level is perfect. MFT went Black twice in two days, and when I drove it today I let off the gas to coast to a changing traffic light and when I tried to accelerate again, the transmission slammed so hard I felt as though I got rear ended. I really at a loss here... My wife isn't happy, and is starting to not love her truck. When wifey ain't happy, no ones happy.:navajo:

So after leak #4,#5,&#6, the Ex spent Christmas at the dealer while we struggled to get kids and their belongings as well as gifts gifts to wherever we were going. I finally spoke with with my service guy who said "the reason I haven't called you is because I have nothing to tell you. We have no clue what to do" I was floored. Isn't there an engineer or a traveling tech who can look at this? Sigh......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after leak #4,#5,, the Ex spent Christmas at the dealer while we struggled to get kids and their belongings as well as gifts gifts to wherever we were going. I finally spoke with with my service guy who said "the reason I haven't called you is because I have nothing to tell you. We have no clue what to do" I was floored. Isn't there an engineer or a traveling tech who can look at this? Sigh......

My leak is finally fixed but I didn't see you were having the shifting issues until now. I had the exact same problems, it'd feel like someone rear ended me and scare the shizz out of me. They flashed the transmission the last time they worked on the leaks and I haven't had an issue with it since. As for the MFT issues, I had a ton of problems, but they all seemed to be related to Bluetooth. If I don't connect my phone, I have zero issues. When I was using my phone often though, I was having to pull the fuse once a week.

So after leak #4,#5,, the Ex spent Christmas at the dealer while we struggled to get kids and their belongings as well as gifts gifts to wherever we were going. I finally spoke with with my service guy who said "the reason I haven't called you is because I have nothing to tell you. We have no clue what to do" I was floored. Isn't there an engineer or a traveling tech who can look at this? Sigh......

Hey Edgieguy,

Have you been staying in touch with your regional customer service manager? Let me know if you're having any difficulty contacting anyone.

Crystal

Well, I'm at wits end with mine. Leaking as well. I am getting rid of it. Done with the POS. Please don't ask me for a PM. I am getting rid of this vehicle. Leaks, MFT is awful, wind noise is atrocious. I was wondering why it was smelling so bad inside the vehicle. My wife would get in it and say it smelled awful. Must be from the leak. Yesterday it just shut off. Stalled on me. Thank god I was in the mall parking lot and not on the road. I am passed my warranty so there's no hope of a lemon law pursuit. I am very disappointed......

Well, I'm at wits end with mine. Leaking as well. I am getting rid of it. Done with the POS. Please don't ask me for a PM. I am getting rid of this vehicle. Leaks, MFT is awful, wind noise is atrocious. I was wondering why it was smelling so bad inside the vehicle. My wife would get in it and say it smelled awful. Must be from the leak. Yesterday it just shut off. Stalled on me. Thank god I was in the mall parking lot and not on the road. I am passed my warranty so there's no hope of a lemon law pursuit. I am very disappointed......

Hi broken strut,

That sounds frustrating; I'm sorry that we'll be losing you as a member of the Ford family. If your needs change, you know how to reach me.

Crystal

Hey Edgieguy,

Have you been staying in touch with your regional customer service manager? Let me know if you're having any difficulty contacting anyone.

Crystal

My regional service manager Cynthia has been great, unfortunately I don't think even Alan Mulally could make the service guys any more resourceful in finding the leak. Another week and its still sitting at our dealer.

My regional service manager Cynthia has been great, unfortunately I don't think even Alan Mulally could make the service guys any more resourceful in finding the leak. Another week and its still sitting at our dealer.

Thanks for keeping me posted, Edgieguy. I'm glad that Cynthia has been staying in close contact with you. Update us once you get any news from the dealership.

Crystal

Water getting in

I washed my 2013 limited explorer today and noticed that water was getting into the interior through the third row seat beats, at the top where they extend from. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have washed the vehicle many times and this was the first time i noticed it. I plan on taking into my local ford dealer, so I will let you all know what happens.

Its a roof seam. Do a search. You're not the first.

I washed my 2013 limited explorer today and noticed that water was getting into the interior through the third row seat beats, at the top where they extend from. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have washed the vehicle many times and this was the first time i noticed it. I plan on taking into my local ford dealer, so I will let you all know what happens.

Hey AZexLTD,

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Crystal

I just noticed my 2011 Explorer Limited has a leak, I unstowed my third row and noticed that the back of both seats were wet. I then opened up my spare tire well and noticed the cover was wet as well as the spare. I took it in to the dealer who said they looked it up in their database and no problems of this type have been reported and that you can't believe what you read online, which is funny because of that statement I found this forum. My explorer also has the sluggish acceleration and hard stops, I also found here, but the dealer says can't duplicate. I guess I just want to know if this are valid issues that others have or not, I kind of feel like the dealer doesn't care.

2012 ford explorer leak .. Same as 2011 leak

I cannot believe ford will not acknowledge this major defect! I will not be purchasing another ford vehicle. Believe me, everyone I know( I'm a hairstylist) knows about this major problem and cannot believe the treatment or there lack of from this company. This is ridiculous!!!! After tearing my explorer limited apart and piecing it back together they say fixed... With some sealant in the seams. A few pieces of carpet replaced and that didnt come easy either. Really? Thoroughly disgusted, I have never paid so much money for a vehicle and had so many problems...never will again from this company either.!!!!

I cannot believe ford will not acknowledge this major defect! I will not be purchasing another ford vehicle. Believe me, everyone I know( I'm a hairstylist) knows about this major problem and cannot believe the treatment or there lack of from this company. This is ridiculous!!!! After tearing my explorer limited apart and piecing it back together they say fixed... With some sealant in the seams. A few pieces of carpet replaced and that didnt come easy either. Really? Thoroughly disgusted, I have never paid so much money for a vehicle and had so many problems...never will again from this company either.!!!!

I fixed my leak with this.

9ysyhy2a.jpg
\

I know it's still a Ford but I'm a die hard.

Yes us too I think we might be done. After 80+ days and 7 trips to the dealer she's fed up. Our treatment through customer service has been great but the service guys just seem incompetent.

I just noticed my 2011 Explorer Limited has a leak, I unstowed my third row and noticed that the back of both seats were wet. I then opened up my spare tire well and noticed the cover was wet as well as the spare. I took it in to the dealer who said they looked it up in their database and no problems of this type have been reported and that you can't believe what you read online, which is funny because of that statement I found this forum. My explorer also has the sluggish acceleration and hard stops, I also found here, but the dealer says can't duplicate. I guess I just want to know if this are valid issues that others have or not, I kind of feel like the dealer doesn't care.

Search for all the known TSB on the 2011-2013 Explorer and then print that list and show it to your service manager. That might help.

Every explorer owner should be mde aware of this possible leak!! Shame on ford!

Un-&#$%ing believable!!! It rained one night, the first time since we got out Ex back from the dealer for its 8th attempt at fixing this leak and its back!!!!! Our two year old was soaked a third time with ice water as he sat helplessly locked into his child seat. I'm so angry. My wife is pissed. She just wants a car that will stay dry. This will be the 9th time were washing his seat. I'm tempted to write everyone at ford and demand a new car seat. This is ridiculous.

Your dealer is not being truthful. All the information about the Water Leak is located in the Ford Service Data Base. You can even contact the PVT Manager at Chicago Assembly Plant and they will tell you they are aware of the issue.
Below is the Repair Order from Sept 28th, 2011. That I pulled from the Dealer Service website.
51 CHECK WATER LEAK NEAR PASSENGER SIDE REAR OF CAR- WATER DRIPS DOWN P/S 3RD ROW SEAT BELT WHEN IT RAINS- VEHICLE WAS IN ONCE BEFORE FOR SAME ISSUE AND WAS NOT FOUND WATER TEST VERIFIED R AND I A B C D PILLARS AND QUARTER PANEL TRIM LOWERED HEADLINER FOUND WATER ENTERING FROM RIGHT UPPER CORNER OF REAR ROOF AREA INSPECT ROOF RACK AND ROOF AREA FOUND BODY SEALER IN RIGHT UPPER REAR CORNER OF ROOF PANEL CRACKED BODY SHOP REPAIRED ROOF BODY SEAM RETEST OK

And my other Repair Order from July 31st, 2012 - Yes they didn't correct it the first time.
51 - 2 WATER LEAKING REAR HATCH AREA ON LEFT SIDE (BODY SHOP RECENTLY REPAIRED RIGHT SIDE). C/S LEAK IS COMING FROM NEAR THE TOP OF THE 3RD ROW SEATBELT AS WELL AS ON THE GLASS AND TRIM PANEL - APPROVAL CODE PAA2V DIAGNOSE AND FIND WATER LEAK, REPAIR WATER LEAK BY REMOVING ALL BODY CAULK THAT WAS CRAKED AND PEELING AND RE APPLY CAULKING. CRACKS IN CAULKING WERE FOUND AT LEFT QUARTER PANEL ROOF JOINT AND UNDERNEATH LT ROOF RACK RAIL .

They gave me a 3 year Service Package for my troubles but when i took it in for a schedule maintanence - The Dealer argued over the terms and and said it was a semantic errro and charged me for items that should have been covered.

Purchase an MDX, Audi or BMW next time, Cost is the same, Better Quality and Service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there, thought I would give people that are interested an update on the water leak. I took it to the garage that I bought it from and they had not experienced this issue before. I told them about some of the issue other people had and their repairs. It turns out that on both sides of the car a seam was not fully sealed and that sealant was missing in sections which was allowing water to get in. I got the explorer back yesterday and plan to wash it tomorrow, so I will see myself if it is fixed - I will no doubt be back here if its not :)

Thanks to Crystal (FordCustSrvc), the issue was escalated to the regional customer service manager as she said she would and I did get a call, which turned out to be really good customer service, thanks again. The reg service manager is following up with me on Monday to make sure I am fully satisfied!

One issue I had was that whilst in the ford garage it appears that one of my alloy wheels got scratched! Very disappointed as both my wife and I have been so careful to make sure we did not ding the wheels! And the first time it went in the garage they did it for us. Don't mind if we had done it, our fault, but when the garage does it, its frustrating. It's only a small make but on these polished alloys it stands out really easily. Anyway I now have to wait for the service guy at the ford garage to let me know on Monday what they can do to fix it, which means more wasted time backward and forward to the garage and loaner cars.

Back