Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Waze will be available in 3.0!!!

Discussion in '2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by Mooton, January 11, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mooton

Mooton New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Ford integrates Waze navigation app in Sync 3

This is amazing news for Apple CarPlay users! I'm curious how it will work with CarPlay, though. It's not a CarPlay app - it's a native Sync 3 app. But can CarPlay be enabled while Waze is available? Or does CarPlay need to be disabled first? Sort of how you can't use Sync 3's Navigation unless CarPlay is disabled.

In any event, tip of the cap to Ford for making this happen.

Has anyone with a pre-released version of 3.0 or a 2018 with 3.0 seen this actually work?

Last edited: January 11, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ilguy

ilguy New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Maybe this means they will finally launch the SMARTLINK service they announced at CES last year!

4. Mlarv5

Mlarv5 Member

City, State:
      Kent Ohio
      2017 Platinum Ruby Red
      Ford supports it from V2.3 and on. Currently Waze does not have the correct interface SW to make it work. Should be out around March. This I just finished reading on the F150forum.

5. Mooton

Mooton New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      I just went through that F150 thread and there were several references to Waze making this available in March (though I couldn't find that mention in Waze's press release). It also sounded like that may sync up with Ford's official release of 3.0 which is, in the words of a Ford person I spoke with yesterday, "a few weeks away if all goes well". And given that 2.3 doesn't add any real functionality over 2.2, I would expect 3.0 to be a requirement.

6. ilguy

ilguy New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Maybe I'm reading too much in to it but for all of the pre-2018 sync 3 users that don't currently have a cellular enabled (SMARTLINK) car, I would assume SMARTLINK would be required for the Waze connectivity so it can send and receive the data without the smartphone attached as the presser suggests.

7. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      It's running through AppLink, not CarPlay, and it shouldn't require SmartLink because Waze's connectivity would be coming through the phone running it.

8. Mooton

Mooton New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      That's the way I understand it. And AppLink (or at the least, this Waze app) requires a USB connection since it's mirroring the app from the phone and that amount of data cannot be transferred quickly enough over Bluetooth.