Weird electronic issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird electronic issues

smashclash

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
There's been a few issues with the electronics in my wifes explorer.

Periodically the thermometer in my wifes 2014 XLT will read the temp outside much warmer than it actually is. This morning she was driving it and it's about 28 outside yet the thermometer in the dash read 69. There's also been times when the electronics in the dash have just gone completely dark for a bit and then came back on.

FWIW, we did the remote start mod where you have the dealer activate the option and buy a new ford key with the remote start on it. That has worked 50/50 since the day it was activated. Sometimes the car will start fine. Sometimes however the turn signal lights will flash and the horn will beep once. Every great while it will attempt a very brief start turning over the engine and fail because it didn't try turning it over long enough. Everytime we get in the car after all this it starts fine. And sometimes if it fails to start remotely and you wait 5 mins and try remote start again it starts.

Anyone else having weird electronic issues like this? Car has 37K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's been a few issues with the electronics in my wifes explorer.

Periodically the thermometer in my wifes 2014 XLT will read the temp outside much warmer than it actually is. This morning she was driving it and it's about 28 outside yet the thermometer in the dash read 69. There's also been times when the electronics in the dash have just gone completely dark for a bit and then came back on.

FWIW, we did the remote start mod where you have the dealer activate the option and buy a new ford key with the remote start on it. That has worked 50/50 since the day it was activated. Sometimes the car will start fine. Sometimes however the turn signal lights will flash and the horn will beep once. Every great while it will attempt a very brief start turning over the engine and fail because it didn't try turning it over long enough. Everytime we get in the car after all this it starts fine. And sometimes if it fails to start remotely and you wait 5 mins and try remote start again it starts.

Anyone else having weird electronic issues like this? Car has 37K.

Check the battery connections and make sure they are tight. Also, I know that old or defective batteries can cause strange things to happen, so it may be worth changing out the battery since yours is around 4 years old.

When you get the temperature variations are you on heavy traffic like bumper to bumper or out in the open? I believe the sensor is in the lower left part of the grille area.
Do you leave anything plugged in, such as a charger etc.?

Peter

Speed does not seem to matter. Only thing plugged in is a cell phone charger that isn't new to the car.

Speed does not seem to matter. Only thing plugged in is a cell phone charger that isn't new to the car.
I don't know if that may be the problem but cell phone chargers have proven to interfere with remote start capabilities. There are several posts here regarding that.

Peter

We tried pulling the phone charger but no difference. Still getting the weird issues. Last Friday I was in the car and it was around 40F outside but the car registered as 71F. Because of this it would not blow out heat. It's rare when this happens but like I said it happens at least once a week.

I'm skeptical to bring this to the dealer since it's so infrequent and cannot be replicated on demand. Any suggestions?

Regarding the remote start issues, I've had those issues show up a few times, but not recently.
Very random. Usually what I've done, is hit the unlock button and then retry the lock and remote start button(2x) and it will start just fine.
For me, it's not worth bringing to the dealer since it's so random and neither has occurred in the last year or so.

Regarding the remote start issues, I've had those issues show up a few times, but not recently.
Very random. Usually what I've done, is hit the unlock button and then retry the lock and remote start button(2x) and it will start just fine.
For me, it's not worth bringing to the dealer since it's so random and neither has occurred in the last year or so.
I've tried that as well and often it does not help.

We tried pulling the phone charger but no difference. Still getting the weird issues. Last Friday I was in the car and it was around 40F outside but the car registered as 71F. Because of this it would not blow out heat. It's rare when this happens but like I said it happens at least once a week.

I'm skeptical to bring this to the dealer since it's so infrequent and cannot be replicated on demand. Any suggestions?

There is only one sensor that feeds into that setting, so inspecting the connection of the temp sensor back to the module (BCM?) should be a fairly straightforward job. I would take it in and see what happens.

Peter is correct, the temperature sensor is behind the lower grille, to the driver's side.

Ambient Air Temp Sensor.jpg

Thanks for that. I ordered a new ambient air temp sensor and put it in last night. Seems to have fixed the temp issue. Interestingly the plastic tip of my old sensor was gone. Basically looked like two exposed wires that were starting to rust some. Also, the pigtail that holds the sensor is damaged. A piece of it was cracked and broke off. It's still plenty good enough to hold the sensor but it's more evidence of some kind of trauma to that area. The lower grille was fine so who knows. My guess is someone did work in that area and when they pushed the lower grille in they broke it. Fortunatley it's a 10min fix and only $12.

Thanks to all.

Back