Weird TPS issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird TPS issue

amoosenamedhank

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hello all, I'm sort of stumped here. Here is what I've done so far. I got the multimeter out and I have 5v reference, ground and .5v when the throttle is closed... Sounds good so far, here's where things get weird. As I rotate the throttle, the .5v doesn't change. It is always .5v regardless of the actually position of the throttle.

I replaced the sensor with two different O'Reily sensors and I get the same issue.

I checked the part number on the throttle body and it's 98TF-aa which appears to be correct. It seems like the knob attached to the throttle plate rod which the sensor rotates off isn't actually making any contact with the inside of the sensor. The knob freely rotates with no changes in the sensor.

I can't find much info on this for the Ford's but it seems on other applications the knob should be splined in with the sensor...?

IMAG0204_zpsvrzz9i3y.jpg

IMAG0205_zps4r4eo5xz.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man! I think this is my issue! I just found a thread on a contour forum talking about direction of rotation and mine is definitely wrong. My knub turns clockwise and by sensor turns counterclockwise... Thanks O'Reilys....

Good help is hard to find huh? ;) Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

If you actually look at the offerings on Rockauto, it appears that the Motorcraft and Airtex/Wells are the only ones with OHV and SOHC specific PN.

Motorcraft
OHV #CX1542
SOHC #DY967

Airtex/Wells
OHV # 5S5154
SOHC # 5S5115

However, the Dorman and Standard Motor product actually list the same PN.

Dorman
OHV #977517
SOHC #977517

Standard Motor Products
OHV # TH157T
SOHC # TH157T

How is this getting by like this without a bunch of people having issues?

SMP lists TH157 and TH157T on RockAuto. Go with OEM Motorcraft parts, especially with electrical and sensors. Which engine?

I have the 4.0 OHV... strange, under the X vin it lists the SMP twice... one as TH157 and one has TH157T.... I will probably just go with the Motorcraft to avoid all this crap.

I already called O'Reilly's this morning and they will refund me the last sensor I got.

I'll update when I receive the motorcraft part to let everyone know if this solved my problem.

I still find it strange though that so many different locations (a few of rock autos and a few of O'Reilly's don't distinguish between the parts.

So I received my new tps directly from AutoNation Ford ( formally Tousley) based off my Vin number. Opened the box and to by complete dismay... It's the wrong one again. This is partly my fault as I initially ordered the correct sensor and a rep called me back and talked me into a different sensor. I figured he would know better than me... Honest mistake as it seems even Ford's catalog is a bit confusing here.

I call Tousley up and talk with a rep. He says based off my vin (x vin btw) that should have been the correct one but obviously wasn't. He did some more cross referencing and came up with CX-1542 or F57Z-9B989-A

Luckily they are local to me so I drove over there after work and swapped them out. While still standing at the counter, I checked the rotation direction and it was correct.

Got it on the truck and pulled out the multimeter... And I have variable voltage finally!

I still haven't really driven the truck to see if this fixes my ultimate goal (CEL P1121) but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

IMAG0210_zpskvv2aott.jpg

Back