Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Kjhadfield, September 5, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Really? Surprised no mention of them reducing road noise in the MyST project linked below. I'll probably give them a try since they're only around $30 pair. I was ready to do an expensive sound deadening treatment in the doors but am not sure if I've pinpointed the area. Tires are proven quiet Michelin Latitude Tours at 35 PSI. For all I know it may be wind noise from the mirrors because my door seals are perfect. Did you use the OEM fender liners or aftermarket like RA sells?

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=174&WRENCHES=1&PageHeader=

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gtyates

gtyates Active Member

City, State:
      Goodlettsville Tennessee
      '04 XLT & '05 Sport Trac
      Aftermarket, RA.

I will admit my tire noise is a little high as I let my front wheel bearings go a little too long before replacing, but there is a noticeable drop in interior noise level with just putting the passenger side one in place. These trucks will never be quiet, but it helps..

I am running Bridgestone Dueller HL's. My truck is 2 wheel drive, so this is sufficient for my needs.

Greg

4. ptf18

ptf18 Active Member

2002 Sport Trac
      How much wear was on the plastic bushing ( i assume thats what's worn) when you decided to change these out?

5. KajunBndit

KajunBndit Active Member

City, State:
      Theriot, LA
      2004ExplorerSportTrac XLT
      Going to a Christmas Party this evening with the better half at church Riding in the Sport Trac!

6. gtyates

gtyates Active Member

City, State:
      Goodlettsville Tennessee
      '04 XLT & '05 Sport Trac
      All 4 of the "sleeves" had obvious indentations from the door resting on them. But mine had developed some door rattle in the left rear and right front doors, as well as some in the drivers door. After replacing all 4 of these strikers the vibration/buzziness is gone.

Another side benefit has bene the front passenger door. Before replacing these strikers about 1 out of 4 times the doors would not unlock on initial attempt using key fob. Now they unlock every time.. I don't know how or why it is related, but this is our observation.

7. swshawaii

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    8. 429CJ-3X2

429CJ-3X2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Des Moines, Iowa
      '01 & '02 Sport Tracs,
      Had to replace the lower radiator hose on my '01 ST. I had replaced it when I replaced the radiator 6-7 months ago. I installed a heater in the lower hose at that time, & obviously didn't cut enough out of the hose as the hose has been making contact with the sway bar, which resulting in a weak spot in the hose. I noticed it leaking a couple of days ago, but only when the engine was warm. Not too bad of a job - except it was 24 degrees and we got 1/2" of snow while I was doing this outside. Of course the snow stopped shortly after I finished. The snow wasn't too much of a nuisance, and really was the reason I was doing this today. Without the snow, I would have parked the truck for the weekend and fixed it inside at work Monday, but the wife will want to drive it tomorrow in the snow. The bigger nuisance was the drain plug unscrews completely out of the radiator. I wasn't expecting that. Of course it fell into the drain pan, and antifreeze shot farther out than I expected - especially after an air bubble cleared - and got coolant in my socket set. So I had a bigger mess than necessary, but the hose doesn't leak now. I didn't put the heater in the new hose.

9. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      I replaced my upper and lower rad hoses last fall, when I replaced my radiator, and found I had to cut quite a bit off the rad side of both hoses (maybe 1-2" as I recall). I wonder why the replacement hoses are so long? As you learned the lower hose will rub on the sway bar and I found the upper hose will cover and rub on the transmission dip stick if you don't shorten it. IIRC I bought my replacement hoses at AutoZone, but they were brand-name hose.

10. 429CJ-3X2

429CJ-3X2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Des Moines, Iowa
      '01 & '02 Sport Tracs,
      Hoses are often too long. I assume that's so they can be used in more than 1 application, but too long is better than too short. These were Dayco hoses, and I had to cut a good 1 1/2" off the upper end. That's probably all I cut out of the first one to allow for the heater, but I should have cut that much off the top too. There was probably a little bit of clearance between hose and sway bar when I installed it, but the hose stretched in diameter after use. I haven't changed the upper hose yet. I was going to when I did the new radiator, but neither Advance or O'Reilly's had them in stock at any of their local stores or warehouses, both of which are close to my house.

11. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      I think mine were Dayco's also. Compare your new upper hose to your old one closely to know where to cut it. I didn't and had to remove it again.

12. Linda Langston

Linda Langston New Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, AL
      1998 Explorer XLT
      Where did you find these bushings? I've looked everywhere for them and can't find them. I can find numerous options for the liftgate, but I need them for my rear doors and they're NOT interchangeable.

13. swshawaii

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      ^ Save yourself time and aggravation searching for separate DOOR striker bushings, they do not exist. Dorman 38424 replacement bushing kit containing two sizes does not work for the required 7/16" ID x 9/16" OD size used for the front and rear doors only. To be safe and confirm size. use a 9/16" open ended wrench to measure.
      https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...cipation-required.433126/page-14#post-3584733

TWO complete OEM Ford door strikers for $22.38 shipped. IMO, do not bother with the aftermarket Dorman 38445 strikers.BTDT, very soft metal and weak PVC bushings. If you choose to replace the strikers, make sure you outline the base with a Sharpie or similar, and torque to the recommended 30 ft/lb, spec. After installing, remove ink with a Q-Tip and paint thinner or alcohol. GL

Here's the eBay link gtgates provided. 3 pairs shown remaining on eBay.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranger...ash=item2ca1e46578:g:rzkAAOSwuTxV~F1~&vxp=mtr

14. jonothehut

jonothehut New Member

City, State:
      SC
      2004 Ford Sport Trac
      Replaced spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, and air filter. Never thought spark plugs could be so hard to change. Removing passenger side wheel and wheel well made it much easier.

Gapped motor craft plugs to .065
      Replace oem wires with livewires
      Screamin deamon ignition coil
      K&N drop in air filter

Truck runs real good, noticeably better. Needed the tune up.

Now to figure out this engine rattle and what to do about the valve cover gaskets.

Last edited: January 30, 2017
    15. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      Where did you come up with a spark plug gap of.065? Everything I've ever seen on the 4.0L SOHC says .054.

16. jonothehut

jonothehut New Member

City, State:
      SC
      2004 Ford Sport Trac
    17. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    18. swshawaii

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Not trying to be a downer here, just a heads up. Screamin' Demon coil packs have had an extremely high failure rate in the past on the MyST forum. This wasn't a case of a bad production run, but over a few year time span. The failures seem to occur from the earlier SD coils that had a different firing order than OEM packs. If you bought it new keep the receipt and make a photocopy if they use the common "disappearing" ink like many stores do. Again, not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, just make sure you're covered. Here's one thread, "My Turn--SD Coil", there are MANY more searching "Screamin' Demon" on that forum. GL

Last edited: January 10, 2017
    19. jonothehut

jonothehut New Member

City, State:
      SC
      2004 Ford Sport Trac
      Thanks for looking out.

Thanks for the info. I thought I did my research but it is obvious I missed a few threads. I'll def make a copy of the receipt. My coil pack has the same firing order so hopefully I am okay. Will keep my eye on it for sure.

20. Foxy913

Foxy913 New Member

City, State:
      Beachwood
      2003 explorer sport
      Are you talking about body mounts I can't seem to find a full set they say position 1 or 3 or 5 not the whole set my mounts are garbage help me find new mounts please

21. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      Are we talking about a Sport Trac? This is the Sport Trac forum. Below is a link to what many of us have used... If you don't like red, I believe they are also available in black.

https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-1...keywords=Prothane+ford+sport+trac+body+mounts

The kit does the whole truck, radiator core and 6 under body mounts. They are referred to as positions A, B, C and D.

Last edited: January 10, 2017
    22. swshawaii

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    23. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      I know the Sport has 5 body mounts. That's why I asked the poster what vehicle he was asking about. Technically he's asking in the wrong forum.

24. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      Changed the bag style center console out to the full console style in my son's best friends new to him ST. As you can see the armrest was broken and some one had a failed attempt at repair. I got a center console from a 2000 Mountaineer. I got other parts from a ST and merged the two. I deleted the heat and A/C stuff out of the console before reinstall. On the rear control panel I installed two power outlets. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that. On the front of the console I drilled a small hole and put a yellow led bulb in it from what was the ashtray. It was a little bright so I put a license plate light cover over it to keep the light out of the drivers eyes. IMG_20170118_175543700.jpg IMG_20170121_154204768_HDR.jpg IMG_20170121_154218965_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    25. sickwilly

sickwilly Active Member

City, State:
      Middle Tennessee
      2003 Exp Sport Trac
      Spent some time over the weekend cleaning out the prior owners dirt and grime and making this newer sport trac more mine.

[​IMG]

26. jonothehut

jonothehut New Member

City, State:
      SC
      2004 Ford Sport Trac
      Replaced fuel filter. Never did it before. Easiest thing I ever did on a vehicle.

Jacked up one side of the truck about 2-3in. Didn't notice at first but after a double take I really like the way the truck sat with 2-3in with my stock AT tires. Might have to look at a add a leaf and torsion twist