Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Kjhadfield, September 5, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tifoez & Lavinia

Tifoez & Lavinia Active Member

City, State:
      SW Pennsylvania
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '01 XLT
      This weekend I welded lower 4-link mounts on the frame of #projectdreamcatcher
      our 2001 job 1 st
      [​IMG]
      And after more wire wheel, sanding, and prep work..
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tifoez & Lavinia

City, State:
      SW Pennsylvania
      '01 XLT
      This weekend I welded lower 4-link mounts on the frame of #projectdreamcatcher
      our 2001 job 1 st
      [​IMG]
      And after more wire wheel, sanding, and prep work..
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      I changed the oil in my '01 Sport Trac and finally got around to replacing my front sway bar end-links with the new Moog poly end-links I bought this Spring. I had replaced 3 of my OE end-link bushings, when I installed my new upper/lower ball joints, with some ES neoprene bushings I had laying around (only had 3) and kept the best of the OE bushings for the 4th. Today I found the one OE bushing now missing, which explains the occasion clunk I was hearing and less than stellar cornering. The new poly bushing links really make a big difference. No noises and cornering is much more level and solid.

I have a second set of the Moog poly end-links that I still need to install on my daughter's '00 Mountaineer the next time I'm under it. IMO using any other brand/model of end-links is a waste of money. I installed the poly links on my '01 Eddie Bauer years ago and they're still going strong.

• Like Like x 2
    5. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Agree Phil. IMO, the BEST, cheapest, and easiest ride and handling mod for Explorers. Did this ES front end link mod in 2011, and the poly bushings still look great. Most don't need to go this far, the much improved Moog K700542 end links with poly bushings is more than adequate for most, and proven to be very durable. For end links and frame bushings, poly FTW.

Sway Bar Links | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Last edited: August 6, 2017
    6. All out

All out Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ft Lauderdale, fl
      2002 explorer sport trac
      The truck got some love this weekend wash and then clay bar work and then full wax.

7. 08EddieCA

08EddieCA Active Member

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      2008 X Eddie B. 4.0L AWD
      IMG_3726.JPG I finished installing the new replacement 4.0 reman after the first new reman was determined to be defective due to being out of balance. I pulled out the old-defective engine and installed the new one. Runs great. No vibration. Pulls well and starts right up. Racked up just over 100 miles. Changed the oil a few time. I did use a break in oil - 30W for priming and first 30 minutes. Switched to 5/30. Much quieter top end now.

Last edited: August 6, 2017
    8. Tobashadow

Tobashadow New Member

2002 Sport Trac
      Callsign:
      K4TJL
      Replaced the front marker lights and upgraded them to LED bulbs.

Added wiring for future factory fog light install.

9. Tifoez & Lavinia

City, State:
      SW Pennsylvania
      '01 XLT
      Finally pulled #dreamcatcher out of the garage #backwoodsdirt finally has an open bay for rainy day work..
      I doubt I'll ever have her back in the garage, I had to roll her out on the rotors..
      [​IMG]
      Another of us with both trucks, I'm 6'3 and I have to go higher because the upper 4-link is touching the bottom of the oil pan as it sits ;)
      [​IMG]
      Safe explorations everyone, can't wait to post vid of her rollin under her own power ;)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Tifoez & Lavinia

City, State:
      SW Pennsylvania
      '01 XLT
      Got a nice shot of the ''87 Grand Waggy dana 44 under the Trac..
      [​IMG]

11. 01STrunner

01STrunner Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greer, SC
      2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
      Man, I wish I had gone 4-link instead of leaf springs up front...

• Like Like x 1
    12. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      Been working on the CEL issues on my two ST's and my son's best friend's ST. I had to do upper and lower intake gaskets on my son's job 1 ST. No CEL now plus starts and runs better. On my son's friends 03 ST he was getting a P0442. I started searching vacuum lines, fittings and connectors. I found that the line on the passenger side going to a little diaphragm had gotten against the exhaust and burnt in half. Then on mine I was getting P1451. I started the search and after awhile I dropped the spare and emissions bracket. Found the solenoid top broken and the wires cut or chewed. I will go get a good one from the junkyard this weekend as mine is rusty. Hope fully this will get the ST's fixed. Next will be my 03 Expedition which sets all kinds of crazy codes. Literally have cleared 14 different codes out of it in the last year. I clear the light every time it come on and write them down. This picture is the solenoid off my job 2 2001 ST. IMG_20170827_144458609.jpg

13. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      My V8 ST check engine light is back on. Got bigger problems now. I was pulling a trailer this weekend going up a steep incline running pretty hard and something happened. Started running rough, some kind of noise, smoke and CEL light flashing and lost power (limp mode I assume). I pulled over, checked fluids and did a visual inspection. Couldn't find anything, started back up, engine noise under load but not at idle. Drove it on home very easily. Pulled CEL code, P0301. Did a compression test and cylinder 1 at 30, two others at 120. So I assume a valve, ring, gasket or piston has failed. Any ideas how to tell what happened for sure?

14. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      I'd think a valve has failed on cyl 1, or you may have burned a hole in the piston. Did you (or someone else) replace the cam synchronizer recently? Scope cyl 1 and see what happened. 120 PSI is low on other cylinders too. Did you hold the throttle body open while checking compression?

15. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      Brought the scope home from work and plan on using it in the morning before I go back to work. We did replace the cam synchronizer a year or so ago. It was when we were chasing a driveability issue. Are you thinking a timing issue? I disconnected the coil packs so it wouldn't start while cranking.

16. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      Looks like a piston problem. Hard to see everything in there but did see the edge of the piston burnt. Cylinder wall looks pretty good so it should be able to be rebuilt. Might be a winter project for a friend of mine and myself. Thinking of performance mods while its apart. Cam, 331, heads or just back stock and reliable. IMG_20170912_055252030.jpg

17. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      I've read where if the cam synchronizer isn't installed correctly it can mess with the timing and burn up pistons.

BTW - That piston top looks awfully clean in your picture (as well as being damaged). That could be an indication of at least that cylinder running extremely lean.

Last edited: September 12, 2017
    18. Tifoez & Lavinia

City, State:
      SW Pennsylvania
      '01 XLT
      Swapped out a leaky oil pan, threw on a new tough guard filter and 5 qts. Castrol high mileage..
      20171101_172540.jpg

19. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      Changed the wheels and tires on my son's truck. 2015 F-150 wheels using 5 to 6 lug adapters with 285/65/18 Yokohama Geolander A/T tires. Nice and smooth, the Good Years I was running on it vibrated.
      IMG_20171012_191014124.jpg

20. All out

All out Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ft Lauderdale, fl
      2002 explorer sport trac
    21. N2FORD

N2FORD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kingston,TN
      2001 Sport Trac 4wd
      Since my ST is down with a bad engine, I have been messing with my 03 Expedition FX4. I put a 2 inch lift on it and put a set of 20 inch F-150 FX4 wheels on it. The tires are 35x12.5x20 Yokohama Geolander A/T's. I had 18's on here and put them on my son's truck. IMG_20171029_180323475.jpg

22. sethsport

sethsport Member

City, State:
      cocoa beach fl
      2003 sporttrac xlt 4x4
      Know what I did recently? My old lady got possessed by some demons on Halloween night after I decided to go have dinner with my son and his mother. She took a screwdriver to the drivers side front quarter and both drivers side doors. Cracked my side mirror housing and my shattered my window deflector. She feels really bad and she's gonna pay for it so I'm getting a whole new paint job
      Talked to my body guy about color matching the grey lower body panels but he's not interested in dealing with that type of material. Anyone have any exp with painting those lower plastic panels? What materials did you use? What kind of prep is needed?

• Like Like x 1
    23. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      @sethsport

Your a very tolerant guy.

If my wife attacked my car with a screw driver the cops would show up really quick.

24. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      :drunk: perhaps?

Sorry, no answer regarding trim panel "material". Yet to read of a long term solution that doesn't chip or wear off. Regardless of prep work on the trim, every thread I've seen always seems to result in adhesion issues. I've even read of Rhino Lining or bed liner paint being used, but the texture of that stuff is hideous and fugly IMO. Good luck.

25. sethsport

sethsport Member

City, State:
      cocoa beach fl
      2003 sporttrac xlt 4x4
      Yes I am a very tolerable fella. I absolutely didn't deserve it. And yes she was drunk as a skunk. But I worked it out with my body guy and he's going to do the entire vehicle. It's already black but he's going to do black with some flake in it. Haven't decided what type of flake yet. My ride is littered with damage from the trails so i think after it's all smooth and shiny I'm gonna work on getting a different 4x4 for my fun and keep this truck pretty... lol we'll see. And yes I've also considered truck bed coating for that trim but as you said everyone I've talked to, even the paint guys, say nothing really works. Although a friend of mine said there's colored stuff you can rub into that material to change the color. I'll look into that

26. Tifoez & Lavinia

City, State:
      SW Pennsylvania
      '01 XLT
      I just noticed this, thought it might help you imagnetic the "bed liner" but IMHO, search for the "lineX" brand..
      Jlombardi posted his ST, I must admit, I love the flat black look!
      Show Off Your Sport Trac!