What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my EXP washed after tinting the front windows. The tint looks good along with the 75% reduction (smoked too dark) in my headlights. Next phase is to get a tune and exhaust kit. I will most likely turn to Livernois for those. She's coming along!!!
16487503_10212012969624534_2883930346950882913_o.jpg
16463700_10212012969584533_6226181785959298938_o.jpg

Decided to go with 8K HID's for the headlights instead of the LED's I had & also blacked out the rims.

Rims look great!

Peter

Livernois 93v2 high boost tune, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs.

What else are you running?
What year ex you have?
Ive got an 2011 and looking for a tuner

For those that tinted their 2017 tail lights , how did you tint them? im having trouble getting the film perfect with no wrinkles due to the angles of the tail lights. Any pointers? And i also am using a heat gun. Thanks in advanced.

For those that tinted their 2017 tail lights , how did you tint them? im having trouble getting the film perfect with no wrinkles due to the angles of the tail lights. Any pointers? And i also am using a heat gun. Thanks in advanced.

I had Top Coverage in Elgin, IL do mine. They're actually professionally tinted (not a film). I think it was $175 for the headlights and tail lights. The only handy work I can do to a car is out gas in it :p

@supr squirrel did his and it looks good.

For those that tinted their 2017 tail lights , how did you tint them? im having trouble getting the film perfect with no wrinkles due to the angles of the tail lights. Any pointers? And i also am using a heat gun.
Thanks in advanced.

I had Top Coverage in Elgin, IL do mine. They're actually professionally tinted (not a film). I think it was $175 for the headlights and tail lights. The only handy work I can do to a car is out gas in it :p

@supr squirrel did his and it looks good.

Haha, I wish I would have had the confidence to do mine. Maybe I'd do it now after seeing the process, but I had the guy who tinted my windows put the film on my tail lights. :)

@Rino911

Ok, so I didn't actually do my lights, but I watched him do them so I can offer a little assistance (perhaps, haha.) The first thing I want to stress to you, and it might say this in the instructions (not sure, as I didn't see the instructions), but worry more about the 'creases' and less about the tiny air bubbles. Tail light vinyl is 'breathable' so any small bubbles will dissipate over time. My installer said his went away after a couple of days. Mine might take a couple of weeks to a month because it's just not very warm. But they will go away. My installer tested the product on his car first and left pretty big air bubbles (the size of a quarter for some) and when you look at his tail lights now they look perfect. So no worries there. :)

Anyway, he basically focused on the large, flat area first. The area that faces to the rear. He then started working on the upper side...which was the biggest 'problem area'....and it was a lot of heating, stretching and lifting. Again, he focused a lot more on getting creases out versus air bubbles. Even if he had used a heat gun to get it to conform and then a slight crease appeared he'd simply pull up and stretch just a hair, pull it back down and hit it with the heat gun again. He did my windows in like five minutes each. He worked on the tail lights for I'd say 15-20 minutes a light (if that gives you any indication on how they can be a PIA.)

Not sure about prices where you're from, but @jonnoriega is from upstate Illinois and I'm in southern Illinois and our install prices (including film) was in the same ballpark. He paid $175 for both headlights and tail lights and I paid $80 for the tail lights...or $40 a light. So in a 'worst case scenario' it's not super overly expensive to just have a shop do them. Having said that I'm confident that with time and patience that anyone with any degree of skill could achieve very similar results. So I have no doubt you can get it done yourself with a bit more trial and error. :)

Added my rear mudflaps yesterday. I'm now at a standstill on what to do next.

- Window Tint for moonroof, windshield and passender/driver doors. (I'm still on the fence about this. This is more for heat rejection than anything else. I can't tell if this is a waste of money or not.)

- Anything that improves gas efficiency and driving performance. (Ride is already great, just want something to improve gas efficiency more than anything else. Still researching and learning.)

- Upsize wheels to 22". (I have not read positive reviews about upsizing the wheels. I do not want to readjust suspension, shave wheel wells, or have my speedometer adjusted. I also do not want anything interfering with my traction control.)

- Upgrade paint job. Thought of going a 2-color paint job. (Somewhat similar to what Range Rover does with their vehicles. I really like the look. Still deciding.)

I have found some threads in the forum and continue to read. Having fun with my new ride!

What else are you running?
What year ex you have?
Ive got an 2011 and looking for a tuner
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The member has a 2013 Sport. That info is shown in the margin just like yours is. From what I understand, there is no Livernois 'tune' for the 2011 or 2012 3.5L V6 engine. Not sure if other outfits offer any.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The member has a 2013 Sport. That info is shown in the margin just like yours is. From what I understand, there is no Livernois 'tune' for the 2011 or 2012 3.5L V6 engine. Not sure if other outfits offer any.

Peter

Ive been emailing back and forth with livernois but they are not very fast at replying

Rims look great!

Peter

OK, scratch the HID's. Thought something was wrong with the bulbs because the light pattern is all jacked up. Apparently it's the housing. Thanx for the info Peter !!

Haha, I wish I would have had the confidence to do mine. Maybe I'd do it now after seeing the process, but I had the guy who tinted my windows put the film on my tail lights. :)

@Rino911

Ok, so I didn't actually do my lights, but I watched him do them so I can offer a little assistance (perhaps, haha.) The first thing I want to stress to you, and it might say this in the instructions (not sure, as I didn't see the instructions), but worry more about the 'creases' and less about the tiny air bubbles. Tail light vinyl is 'breathable' so any small bubbles will dissipate over time. My installer said his went away after a couple of days. Mine might take a couple of weeks to a month because it's just not very warm. But they will go away. My installer tested the product on his car first and left pretty big air bubbles (the size of a quarter for some) and when you look at his tail lights now they look perfect. So no worries there. :)

Anyway, he basically focused on the large, flat area first. The area that faces to the rear. He then started working on the upper side...which was the biggest 'problem area'....and it was a lot of heating, stretching and lifting. Again, he focused a lot more on getting creases out versus air bubbles. Even if he had used a heat gun to get it to conform and then a slight crease appeared he'd simply pull up and stretch just a hair, pull it back down and hit it with the heat gun again. He did my windows in like five minutes each. He worked on the tail lights for I'd say 15-20 minutes a light (if that gives you any indication on how they can be a PIA.)

Not sure about prices where you're from, but @jonnoriega is from upstate Illinois and I'm in southern Illinois and our install prices (including film) was in the same ballpark. He paid $175 for both headlights and tail lights and I paid $80 for the tail lights...or $40 a light. So in a 'worst case scenario' it's not super overly expensive to just have a shop do them. Having said that I'm confident that with time and patience that anyone with any degree of skill could achieve very similar results. So I have no doubt you can get it done yourself with a bit more trial and error. :)

Thanks for the quick replies. The top was the problem, im going to re-do the tail lights. As for the tint film, the one i got was really thick. I think a thinner film will form better. Thanks for the tips, as i was worrying about the bubbles and creases and it took me about 30-45 min a light. The flat surfaces came out really good, but the top didnt stick and the creases came back. All trial and error, will install again and let you all know...

Thanks for the quick replies. The top was the problem, im going to re-do the tail lights. As for the tint film, the one i got was really thick. I think a thinner film will form better. Thanks for the tips, as i was worrying about the bubbles and creases and it took me about 30-45 min a light. The flat surfaces came out really good, but the top didnt stick and the creases came back. All trial and error, will install again and let you all know...
Just so you know the vinyl tint he used was really thick, haha. When I researched afterwards (to make sure he wasn't pulling my leg about the bubbles) I discovered that the thicker the vinyl the better. It will stretch better than the cheaper stuff. Also discovered (after posting to you earlier) that most of the smaller creases will also settle over time. So perhaps that will make you feel a bit better. :)

Nice looking ride keep in mind in the state of Calif you must have a front license plate.

Thank you sir, she is a work in progress. I have been without a front plate for quite some time without any trouble. I still have yet to receive my plates as well

Took picture from the wrong side.;)

Peter

Had my 18s XLT wheels painted with Gloss Black (Dupont) to match the body color, applied Vkool tints, and foiled the chrome grill inserts and roof rail in black.

20170210_143901.jpg
Took picture from the wrong side.;)

Peter

Haha really love the view here so had to pull over and park safely...

20170210_143955.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice xplo! Hope to do the same to my XLT soon.

Back