What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Added LED puddle lamps today. Pretty easy and straightforward replacement of the OEM lamps (one of which was broken). I love the brighter output.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added LED puddle lamps today. Pretty easy and straightforward replacement of the OEM lamps (one of which was broken). I love the brighter output.

Nice, I've been looking for a LED puddle lamps too. Did you get one from Drivebright.com for $59? Have you changed your interior to white leds as well?

Okay. On March 21, I'm going to have some vinyl wrapping done to my EXP. I found a couple of brothers in St. Charles, IL who'll do this for $250 cash. I think it will look good. Thoughts anyone? It's going to be in Blackhawks Red.

fullsizeoutput_1c75.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c77.jpeg

Finally the weather cooperated & was able to finish the front calipers. Much easier than the rear cause they are bigger.

For those that plan on using the G2 paint in the future, make sure you have plenty of brushes. Mine started hardening up & caused me to get paint on the rotor.

20170311_173147.jpg

20170311_173221.jpg

20170311_173353.jpg

Okay. On March 21, I'm going to have some vinyl wrapping done to my EXP. I found a couple of brothers in St. Charles, IL who'll do this for $250 cash. I think it will look good. Thoughts anyone? It's going to be in Blackhawks Red.

View attachment 95993

View attachment 95994

Are you going to do the trim piece on the tailgate too? That would be the only one not wrapped.

Are you going to do the trim piece on the tailgate too? That would be the only one not wrapped.

I just caught that. I think I will now. Thank you, my friend. I'll post pics afterwards. I don't want it to be too obnoxious.

That is going to look really cool. Can't wait to see it!

Nice, I've been looking for a LED puddle lamps too. Did you get one from Drivebright.com for $59? Have you changed your interior to white leds as well?

Yes, those are the ones. Easy swap, lights really illuminate the side of the car and the ground.

Have not started on the interior yet, but purchased new headlights (PIAA) and LED reverse and fog light replacements. The puddle lamps came with a free set of LED license plate builds so I'll do those as well.

Added black vinyl and chrome two-tone door handle overlays. I initially wanted all black but could not find any without the cutout on the fronts for the sensor which my Ex does not have. I got the two tones, installed them per the instructions (alcohol wipe, peel 3M tape film off, align, apply, press) and they look pretty good. May end up getting actual black door handles if these ever fail. If they last, I'm good.

Bought on eBay from www.customautoaccents.com

Good communications with the rep David Wood.

EXPhandles1.jpg

Sorry...I meant to say the rain guards

Ah! That makes more sense. I was sitting here picturing some sort of blinds, or roll up shades!

Yes, those are the ones. Easy swap, lights really illuminate the side of the car and the ground.

Have not started on the interior yet, but purchased new headlights (PIAA) and LED reverse and fog light replacements. The puddle lamps came with a free set of LED license plate builds so I'll do those as well.

If you do the front turn signal and side marker, get amber LEDs. The clear ones wash out the color of the amber lenses.

Added black vinyl and chrome two-tone door handle overlays. I initially wanted all black but could not find any without the cutout on the fronts for the sensor which my Ex does not have. I got the two tones, installed them per the instructions (alcohol wipe, peel 3M tape film off, align, apply, press) and they look pretty good. May end up getting actual black door handles if these ever fail. If they last, I'm good.

View attachment 96011

Nice look!

Received my Ford OEM rubber mats. I had the Husky Weatherbeaters but the wife and daughter felt they looked too industrial / snow country oriented. Husky does not offer the X-act Contour line for my year so they went back. The Ford mats seem to meet the ̶d̶e̶m̶a̶n̶d̶s desires of my gals and they look fine for a snowless environment so it's all good.

Received my Ford OEM rubber mats. I had the Husky Weatherbeaters but the wife and daughter felt they looked too industrial / snow country oriented. Husky does not offer the X-act Contour line for my year so they went back. The Ford mats seem to meet the ̶d̶e̶m̶a̶n̶d̶s desires of my gals and they look fine for a snowless environment so it's all good.
You realize we expect to see picture don't you?

Peter

Husky offers better/more coverage if you want the carpeted area over to the door sill covered.

View attachment 96011

I was looking at getting some of these too, I found them on eBay already. How well do these fit? Do they go right up to the side of the door or is there a slight gap? Any movement felt in them when you open the door?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking at getting some of these too, I found them on eBay already. How well do these fit? Do they go right up to the side of the door or is there a slight gap? Any movement felt in them when you open the door?

If you LOOK closely you can see a minor overlap but if you didn't suspect / know overlays were used, I don't think you'd notice.

Since you pull on the handle to open, you are only pulling on the inside of the original handle.

For the price I am happy with the look and fit. Since the overlays are chrome plated they blend in with the chrome handles on my Ex.

Back