What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

First off, how could I not like your ride? :p Congrats on your purchase.

In regards to painting the calipers, as @jonnoriega has already mentioned several of us have done it. Are they perfectly smooth after painting with G2? No. G2 is a self leveling paint, though, so they are much smoother looking after the process than they were previously. It's different strokes for different folks, obviously. A word of warning, though. I also did a lot of research before going with the G2 kit. A ton of it. And if you want the calipers to look 'right' with the covers you're still going to have to paint a portion of the calipers as when you look from certain angles you still see portions of the calipers. That's ultimately what steered me in the painting direction (that and to get the 'custom color' of orange was going to cost me in the neighborhood of $400 :(.)

Not trying to 'hate' on them (like I said, I nearly pulled the trigger on them myself), just trying to prepare you for that possibility (if you hadn't come across that in your research.)

Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see your upcoming mods. :)

I appreciate the input, SS. Based on the pics I have seen on this site and others, I just don't like the looks of the painted stock calipers. Maybe most of them haven't been done with G2. In addition to the texture issue, I think the caliper shape doesn't lend itself to looking particularly attractive when highlighted with color. Again, it's a preference thing. It's also possible that I may be posting in the future about how I'm an idiot for wasting $200 on covers ;) If it comes to that, I can always do the G2 treatment later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put in a Ford OEM cargo organizer. Ordered from Ford so I wouldn't get a knockoff but it's made in the Philippines.

Bought the Large size and it fits really well. I had read that others received their's with attachment straps but mine had none, just a carry handle. No biggie, I can rig some velcro straps to secure it to those tie down buckles in the back. All in all, very satisfied. and it immediately improved storage in my trunk area.

Ordered a set of WellVisors and installed the OEM mat that goes behind the 3rd row and also the OEM cargo mat. Got both mats shipped for $80. Will post pics of the Wellvisors window visors when they come in. They are better looking than most IMO.

Stripped the clearcoat off my Limited driver and passenger aluminum scuff plate trim. Polished it up with metal polish, slapped on a coat of Collinite 845 and re-installed. Looks much more uniform without all that peeling clear on them. Not sure why Ford chose such a crummy spot for lightly clearcoated aluminum. Wish I had the all black plastic scuff plates. May try and wrap them in some Dinoc or even paint them black.

Stripped the clearcoat off my Limited driver and passenger aluminum scuff plate trim. Polished it up with metal polish, slapped on a coat of Collinite 845 and re-installed. Looks much more uniform without all that peeling clear on them. Not sure why Ford chose such a crummy spot for lightly clearcoated aluminum. Wish I had the all black plastic scuff plates. May try and wrap them in some Dinoc or even paint them black.
I never knew they had clearcoat on them. I've had plenty of scuff marks on the 2011 Ex and 2014 MKT but no peeling at all. The ones on the 2017 are getting a few marks but haven't noticed any peeling.

Peter

I never knew they had clearcoat on them. I've had plenty of scuff marks on the 2011 Ex and 2014 MKT but no peeling at all. The ones on the 2017 are getting a few marks but haven't noticed any peeling.

Peter

Yes they have clear or some type of clear protectant. It is a very thin layer. They are just inserts, remove the plastic scuff plate, bend all the tabs straight and it comes right out. I then bent the tabs back down so it would sit flush on a rag. Applied acetone, then used some Blue Magic metal polish and then some Collinite 845. Looks so much better. Will try and snag a pic before the wife heads out.

Yes they have clear or some type of clear protectant. It is a very thin layer. They are just inserts, remove the plastic scuff plate, bend all the tabs straight and it comes right out. I then bent the tabs back down so it would sit flush on a rag. Applied acetone, then used some Blue Magic metal polish and then some Collinite 845. Looks so much better. Will try and snag a pic before the wife heads out.
Thanks but I don't think I'll try to play around with mine. They are the ones with the illuminated Explorer name.

If you have the illuminated ones I wouldnt either. I prefer mine to be all black plastic, put the price is crazy for them. They look good now and should be easier to maintain with the protectant off of them.

Installed ford OEM mud guards. Nothing exciting, but they look nice.

Installed caliper covers yesterday...
EB0D80F4-F6C9-4724-9893-AC36945F9E36_zpsjoaebay4.jpg

Front...
27707C84-A70C-4362-ABF9-B1FDB28E2A43_zpslqp1dnf2.jpg

Rear...
CECCCF2E-EA1A-4DE0-9301-04201346517A_zpscnukpwpp.jpg

As has been mentioned before, parts of the caliper can still be seen up close, at certain angles. This doesn't bother me. I'm not trying to create the illusion of high-performance brakes (which is why I ordered them without the fake bolt heads). I like the covers because they provide a more finished appearance behind the openness of the 20" wheel, while providing a pop of color. I don't particularly care for the appearance of the bare caliper - even if it's painted. To me, the caliper covers do exactly what I want them to, and I like the way my Ex looks with them on.

The covers look good, but they arent for me. I actually thought the calipers on my '16 look great, almost look new still for being 1 year old and 45k on them.

After being at the International Auto Show I found a detailing company's booth there that had some nice products from the UK. I bought the T-Cut 365 kit for black vehicles $15can $10usd.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/T-Cut-365-PAINTWORK-Perfection-Ultimate-Black-Kit-Tkb365/1507986076

Tried it today and so far it's very impressive for a DIY kit, results look professional and my Shadow Black paint has never looked that good. All small scratches and marks have gone with an ultra smooth finish.

Two bottles, first is a wax then a clear sealent goes over top, water beading is remarkable.

Worth a try for those of us with Shadow Black and don't want to pay for the professional to do it.

Used a clay bar on the hood, followed by Megs UC then Collinite 845, wow is all I can say. Also used Invisible Glass waterspot remover on all the glass. My wife did a full interior detail and treated all the leather with Megs leather cleaner and conditioner. Gonna get this showroom clean. May hit another couple panels tomorrow.

Installed caliper covers yesterday...
EB0D80F4-F6C9-4724-9893-AC36945F9E36_zpsjoaebay4.jpg

Front...
27707C84-A70C-4362-ABF9-B1FDB28E2A43_zpslqp1dnf2.jpg

Rear...
CECCCF2E-EA1A-4DE0-9301-04201346517A_zpscnukpwpp.jpg

As has been mentioned before, parts of the caliper can still be seen up close, at certain angles. This doesn't bother me. I'm not trying to create the illusion of high-performance brakes (which is why I ordered them without the fake bolt heads). I like the covers because they provide a more finished appearance behind the openness of the 20" wheel, while providing a pop of color. I don't particularly care for the appearance of the bare caliper - even if it's painted. To me, the caliper covers do exactly what I want them to, and I like the way my Ex looks with them on.

Nice clean look, man. Love it.

Welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:
My Senators are having a tough time lately. Too many injuries to key players.:(

Peter

Should have kept Hossa LOL - that's the NHL for you. Last year Columbus sucked and now their in the playoffs. It could turn around for you guys in a heartbeat. So long as the Capitals are out in the first round :p

Should have kept Hossa LOL - that's the NHL for you. Last year Columbus sucked and now their in the playoffs. It could turn around for you guys in a heartbeat. So long as the Capitals are out in the first round :p
In danger of falling right out of the playoffs right now. Went from 2nd in the division to a 'wild card' slot.:(

In danger of falling right out of the playoffs right now. Went from 2nd in the division to a 'wild card' slot.:(
I feel your pain. Kings are in freefall mode. :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back