What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Well actually.......:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry for the delayed response, but I got the cover from ebay from seller sony8326

the link to the exact one I got is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Car-Trun...856070?hash=item3adaf90546:g:tjYAAOSwUKxYl092

doesn't look like he has much stock left. But the forum thread that Peter posted is where I searched to see cover options. Basically you wipe the area down with a little alcohol to clean it, let it dry, then the cover goes on with 3m double sided tape. It works very well and has already prevented another accidental folding of the seats.

as I've said in my prior post, this really is a poor design/location by ford...but oh well if that is my only complaint thus far then I can live with that haha.

Finally took some photos of Livernois Corsa exhaust (and 3.5LTwinTurbo emblem) ;)
18118538_10211751345755934_8820643370893651860_n.jpg

18121611_10211751409157519_1661129452852148652_o.jpg

18156417_10211751408037491_3320482205119858328_o.jpg

So this came in today!!! Having it installed tomorrow at Car1Auto in Hoffman Estates, IL.
EXPLORER SPORT LEVEL 2 PERFORMANCE PACK
- TUNER
- WINDSTORM COLD AIR INTAKE
- EVEN-FLO 160 DEGREE HIGH PERFORMANCE THERMOSTAT
- THUNDERSTORM DOWNPIPES
+ 3 BAR MAP SENSOR

Thank you to @Livernois shipping these fast. According to mzimnicki@livernoismotorsports.com, I should be getting another 85 HP and another 100 TQ to the wheels. I have no clue what that means, but I think that's pretty fast. Also, thanks to @ken60631 again for the inspiration. I'll post photo's as they're installing it and the finished results. I can't wait!!!

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Wow, going to throw you back in the seat I bet!

@jonnoriega What that means is that your "EcoBeast" tag is right on the money.

My wife's my auto-insurance broker (Agent for Farmer's). She's going to drop me if I get 1 ticket. LMAO!!!

Yeah....Good luck with that.

I'd like to hear the sound of that bad boy when you're done.

Any guess what wheel hp will be after the mods are complete?

I'd like to hear the sound of that bad boy when you're done.

Any guess what wheel hp will be after the mods are complete?

The sound is actually not any different right now as i kept the stock muffler and that's what I want. It may change a little but when I install the tuner and 3 Bar Map Sensor. I'll post a video of it when it's done.

Even without the tuner, it's definitely more responsive when I punch it which is very nice because with the tuner it's going to fly!

As for the overall power, Livernois said that I should be running 85 more HP and 100 TQ to the wheels. Considering it has 365 HP when I bought it, that would mean 450 HP all together. I'll be running 93 Octane from now on.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Lets see... so far I installed the LED puddle lamps, the VLED's back up bulbs and the OEM mud flaps.
Got tired of listening to trial period SiriusXM.. supposed to be commercial free yet they have commercials about themselves, their music channels aren't that great plus I can't listen to sports, news, talk show, church radio, etc while driving.
So, I took an 8 gig thumb drive and loaded on to it every music CD I own on to it. As of now I have almost 1,000 songs on it with plenty of room for more. I had no idea the the entertainment system would actually display the song and artist plus work with voice commands.

UPDATE:
Got the tune from Livernois today. It took them 24 hours to get it back to me. I followed their instructions and uploaded a 93 Performance 3Bar tune.

Uploading was a success and I took it out for a spin around the block but it was so choppy and took a while to get any response from the engine that I thought that I had made a huge mistake. I was about a mile out and I forgot to install the 3 Bar Map Sensor on it! AMATEUR!!!

After carefully driving home, letting the engine cool down and scrambling for the right tools, I actually installed the sensor myself!!! (applause). I took it out for another spin up and down the street and then opened it up on the highway and base on an amateur review of my Explorer; HOLY **** IT'S FAST!!! Going from 40mph on the on ramp and punching it up to 85mph was so damned quick that when I finally looked down at my odometer, I was doing 105mph!!!

I took it out for about 30 miles. I kept it at speed limit (55mph - 60mph in IL) and would punch it every now and then to be an ass and race cars that were zipping along at 75mph - 85mph in the fast lane. A Dodge Durango with pretty wheels actually challenged me and the only thing he was looking at was my tail lights for about 5 miles. Adrenaline running, I had to pull over.

If you can afford to get a set up like mine which was inspired by @ken60631, I highly recommend it. Just bring enough gas money because your MPG's won't be that great but, again, not too bad for a Ford Explorer SUV.

I didn't post videos of the start up because there wasn't anything special about it. As I said before, I kept the original mufflers on because I like the quiet way it runs. I drive for a living and the quieter the better. Other cars will be quite surprised however if I ever get challenged as I will either keep up with them or blow them away. The next immediate purchase will be gapped spark plugs (at .28?) and still looking for performance brakes.

Lastly, having H&R lowering springs and wider, performance tires help a lot. It feels so much more comfortable at 100+ mph. I took it up to 110mph and I freaked out that I had to stop. I'm an older man now and that adrenaline rush was good enough for me. :p

Sounds like a very good purchase! The EcoBeast is alive!!!!!!!!!

Yes, gap the plugs at .028" .

Yes, gap the plugs at .028" .

A message from Anthony at Livernois:

Jon,

Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you've figured it out. The plugs we sell and suggest to run are the OEM Ford Motorcraft plugs that already come stock in your model year. The earlier 2010-mid 2013 models had an inferior stock Motorcraft platinum plug that Ford has since superseded with this newer iridium fine wire style plug that is also a heat range colder than the older platinum plugs. The newer plugs also have been gapped better from the factory now, which we then adjust further down to .030" to avoid any issues with spark being blown out from the elevated boost pressures our tuning provides. So your vehicle being a 2016 already has the updated stock Ford Motorcraft plugs that we sell, so you are all set there. Then if it feels like the truck is stuttering or hesitating at high RPM / boost , typically at the top of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear during hard acceleration, you know to pull the plugs and tighten the gap down to .028-.030" That is not as necessary now on these newer models since Ford has been doing a better job on their stock plug gap since they had so many issues on the earlier models. If you had a 2010-13 model vehicle, I would suggest to ditch your plugs for the newer version gapped to .030", but you already have the newer plugs we use from the factory and would know almost instantly if they needed to be gapped the first few times you went full throttle. Spark blow out from boost is something that you cannot miss typically, you'd feel the vehicle stuttering and surging instead of holding you back in the seat. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with and we hope you have a great weekend Jon!

Thank you

Regards,
Anthony
Livernois Motorsports & Engineering, LLC
Phone: 313-561-5500 Fax: 313-730-7500
"Like" us on Facebook
See us on YouTube

A message from Anthony at Livernois:

Jon,

Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you've figured it out. The plugs we sell and suggest to run are the OEM Ford Motorcraft plugs that already come stock in your model year. The earlier 2010-mid 2013 models had an inferior stock Motorcraft platinum plug that Ford has since superseded with this newer iridium fine wire style plug that is also a heat range colder than the older platinum plugs. The newer plugs also have been gapped better from the factory now, which we then adjust further down to .030" to avoid any issues with spark being blown out from the elevated boost pressures our tuning provides. So your vehicle being a 2016 already has the updated stock Ford Motorcraft plugs that we sell, so you are all set there. Then if it feels like the truck is stuttering or hesitating at high RPM / boost , typically at the top of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear during hard acceleration, you know to pull the plugs and tighten the gap down to .028-.030" That is not as necessary now on these newer models since Ford has been doing a better job on their stock plug gap since they had so many issues on the earlier models. If you had a 2010-13 model vehicle, I would suggest to ditch your plugs for the newer version gapped to .030", but you already have the newer plugs we use from the factory and would know almost instantly if they needed to be gapped the first few times you went full throttle. Spark blow out from boost is something that you cannot miss typically, you'd feel the vehicle stuttering and surging instead of holding you back in the seat. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with and we hope you have a great weekend Jon!

Thank you

Regards,
Anthony
Livernois Motorsports & Engineering, LLC
Phone: 313-561-5500 Fax: 313-730-7500
"Like" us on Facebook
See us on YouTube

This is very helpful info. Thanks!

Just bring enough gas money because your MPG's won't be that great but, again, not too bad for a Ford Explorer SUV.

I suspect a change in mileage is related primarily to the frequency with which you enjoy the additional top end performance offered by the Livernois tune. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suspect a change in mileage is related primarily to the frequency with which you enjoy the additional top end performance offered by the Livernois tune. ;)

Exactly. During my work travels, I will most likely change it to the lower Octane Performance Tune (87). Save money on gas and get better MPG. But for now, I'm having fun looking for challenges around my neighborhood. I raced a Mitsubishi with obnoxious spoilers, lowered, LOUD muffler and over took him for 6 stop lights :p
The little asian kid who had his girlfriend with him and his buddy in the back seat (I'm asian myself - Filipino) finally asked me to put my window down and asked what the hell I had under the hood and I told him "stuff", smiled and drove away. So satisfying but I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me some time.

Back