what do you think of the 2002 explorer? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

• i like it!

Votes: 154 53.8%
  • i think ford messed up:(

Votes: 132 46.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i still haven't heard a single good review about it. i hope this isn't the beginning of the end for the explorer
I was reading an article in the paper .ford is investing a lot in thier marrage with mazda on the ford escape so i wouldnt be surpised if the explorer is discontinued

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Traded my 01 Escape for my 02 Explorer and I have a 94 Explorer.

The Escape was a nice ride but I like the 02 Explorer much more. IMHO the 02 Explorer rides/drives better.

I really like the 94 too but it rides and drives...like a truck.

If I were to choose any of the above for a long road trip, the 02 Explorer wins big time. If I needed to go off-road or drive in snow, mud, etc., etc. the 94 Explorer is my choice.

For just looks, I like my 94 Explorer Limited.

My 2002

Well My opinion of the 2002 is actually pretty good...

Bought it for the wife as it was a pretty new truck sitting out there and looked safe for her and my daughter.

I was a little shocked to learn it has all time auto 4x4...

then you can kick it into manual 4x4 high or Low....

Interesing feature for the average driver..

Pisses me off however it does handle quite well...

while others were getting stuck like chuck on Oceano dunes this little jewel kept on cruzin just looking for traction on any of the four wheels transferring power all around to get it to keep going...

Had no trouble climbling (Comp Hill for those of you who know where it is). Obviously didn't race it up.. but making it up in an unmodified 02' and not lowering tire pressure is a bit of a feat....

my 92' is a just simply my beater...

it runs.. but man.. its not worth much anymore..

5" lift.. ac has trouble.. needs O2 and Gas Sensors...
Tranny has been rebuilt/replaced 2/3 times.. engine still suprisingly good...

Tires get excessing inner wear as I don't like to deal with an alignment every two weeks.. and then forget to rotate an balance as well...

This tire wear make the old girl vibrate all over the road. However THE STEREO keeps her in my FAV list....

When I lower the pressure in the 31x10.5's to about 7/8psi I can pull almost anyone out of their stuck pothole in low.... that makes this truck a keeper for me...

Now my 92' Z71.. while really a pile of shinola.. can also pull quite hard with its 33's and it has no trouble pulling itself and another vehicle out of some really rough crap. Also again stereo is almost as nice as the explorer... The V8 makes it a bit stronger that my old 92 4.0 V6 so its also fun to play with!!

the 2002 though is pretty nice.. The body style grew on me and I'm kinda liking its Sharp edges now.. however I will always love the 91-93 styles... hate the rounded ones.. sorry.. I just do.. unless its got some nice mods to it!!

I do however want to know if anyone has a lift kit for the 2002 explorers... this would make this little jewel look like a real toy... I just dont' like not being able to get those rear wheels to spin freely.. kinda kills some of the showing off rythm!!

My 2002 Sport is ok...

The paint is coming off of the interior driver side door handle and on the radio trim (where I push the station buttons).

I like my Explorer; my next one will me a older XLT (for weekend driving).

Re: My 2002

Originally posted by Viper_iii
I just dont' like not being able to get those rear wheels to spin freely.. kinda kills some of the showing off rythm!!
You can. See this thread:
Dead Link Removed

Alls i got to say for my reasoning of buying an 03 V-8 explorer is well to put it in simple terms.......DOHC Kenne Bell twin screw project. It will be a while, but i have already started to research the new project.

my mom has the 02 with the 4.6 and 5speed auto and 3.73ls, that thing blows my91 away, i love the power

Disappointed

Yes, I'm disappointed with the new look. It look bloated and porky, like they tried to imitate the Expedition. The first generation (I have a 92 XLT) was the perfect size and shape for me. Ford took a good light truck and made it into another sissy soccer mom conveyance.

Even more: Skid plates are an option now, manual trans is only available on the Sport, which will be discontinued next year.

My 92 will probably need to be replaced in a few years. I would have gone with a new Ex, but now I don't know. I'll have to consider other vehicles. The Escape Sport might be ok (but no manual trans, and not much cargo space), a friend suggested the Honda Pilot (no manual trans, main selling point seems to be fuel efficiency and 7 cup holders).

It seems that I would need 2 vehicles to get the capability of my 92 X: Something like an Escape for commuting plus a Ranger FX for hauling cargo, and being a real (manly boy's toy) truck.

some one posted this.."Yeah, It is ok, but for $35k they should throw in an extra set of shocks, springs, rotors, and a Focus."

the price has not gone up..i went and grabed my window sticker for my 1997 xlt v8 awd with leather and sunroof jbl sound..ect and you know what the stiker was? it was $35,968..

also my son's 1996 limited 4x4 with everything sept the v8 you know what the sticker was on it? $39,988 now tell me how prices have came up?

Personally, I'm a fan of the first generation appearance, not because I own one, but because I think the first generations have a more rugged look for the exterior, and resemble more of what a sports-UTILITY-vehicle should look like. And the first generations even seemed "sportier" than the new "soccer-momish/luxury" images of the new generations. The car-oriented designs of today's SUVs has gotten ridiculous. Ford has definitely made some big and great improvements to the Explorer over the years :), yet I wish Ford would have retained the bodystyle of the first Explorers, like Jeep did for the Cherokee and Wrangler :(. I think the front of the new explorer is alright, but the back is just too rounded and ugly. It looks too much like a minivan. The ultimate edition of a new Explorer would be the first generation appearance for the exterior, but the luxuries of today's SUVs for the interior :D.

Skeets'91EB
your right about 1 thing i sure love the look of first gen's..like a truck should be

I am glad they made the generations of explorers the way they did. I mean I got a first gen to choose from if I want to have a tougher more offroadish truck, I got a 2nd gen explorer that I think looks nice and can be turned into a great sport truck for the street, or racetruck for that matter. And then we got the new gen which althought I dont think rates too high for the offroading crowd, it does strike appeal to a person like me which deals alot with streettrucks and dragracing. And being that this new gen is able to sport the 4.6 mod motor as an option I think it is the best yet generation of vehicle because it is new(nothing more needed to add to that one) and it has alot of potential as a built racing/show truck.

I love the new truck with its all independent suspension.
I hope by the time I am ready to get one they will have the 5.0dohc engine(even more power).

Oh, I also want a floor shifter.

That said its funny that they (ford) are taking this route with all their SUVs' but are afraid to do the same with the Mustang. Afterall I am not a nascar driver so I dont need a bloody live axle to bounce me bum around.

Tired of it.

Whats the difference between a live axle and ind.? If the wheel goes up on either, so does the drive shaft/axle beam, so there should not be a problem. On both, the shaft/beam goes to the center of the wheel, no difference.

irs and ifs is not very good off road live axle's are much better!!

I am thinking H1(wave of the future). H1 not H2.

i like it, its my favorite out of all of them.

I would like to upgrade my 98 to a 04+ but I dont know when Ford will include the 3valve as an option. I dont want to get a 239hp V8 when I could have a 285hp V8 in there.

Stupid mass population of Americans. Thats what the 02+ X is a product of. Sure, I like the powerful V8. The looks are decent. The thing that really bugs me is the fact that you can't get it with a manual tranny, then again, which potential explorer buyer besides me wants one? Ford really did the X in with the stupid IFS/IRS suspension. My 92 sport 5spd can take a j**p any day, but a 02+ X wouldn't make it 5 yards into the rubicon.

I guess from now on I'll have to do all kinds of costum work to get an off road capable vehicle. If you took a 02+ X, lifted it, swapped out the IFS/IRS for solid axles, and switched it to a 5 spd from an F-150, you'd have a real winner!

I've had a slight change in opinion, I really like the Sport editions...a matter of fact, one of my choices for a new car would be an Explorer Sport. If I got one though, I'd like it to be a manual...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own a 2002 Ford Explorer and I am a Ford Senior Master Tech, and while driving hundreds of them let me tell you the six banger has more pep then the v-8. If you don't believe me go down to a dealer and punch it on a test drive, the v-6 seems to have a lot more pep in it. The guys and I in the shop think its a joke when you put a v-8 in a vehicle and it seems to have less power than the v-6. I love Fords but they need to get it together and tune that 4.6l v-8 up a little, cause I know it is a lot more capable then the way it runs in the new explorers. Just my opinion, and by the way me and my wife love the Explorer, I have had it 2 years and it has 31k and has only had to get repaired once (which was just the right rear window motor connector backed out). Other than that it is one of the most dependable vehicles Ford has put on the market (thats just my opinion ).:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back