What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer?

Car 54

Reaction score
City, State
Lutz, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Let's see some pics guys!

I know the rating is 5000lbs for the V6 model. That covers quite a variety of stuff that we can pull.

Post your pics and discuss your stats!

I plan to replace my Titan with an Explorer and my Mcoupe will be towed by an Explorer.

IMG_5352-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking about getting an Aluma 7818 tandem axle trailer so I can haul my John Deere 2520. The trailer is 1100 lbs and the Deere is about 3600 lbs. It would be very close the the 5000 lbs tow rating.

Currently I have a small utility trailer that I think I am outgrowing.

Well I'm maxing her out! Boat 3600lbs w/trailer and wet around 4400lbs...She can do it easily. Wife about 105lbs...give or take what time of the month it is.....lol...shhh, don't tell her I said that.

XnWake2.jpg

Awesome....looks like an Econotrailer like mine. You don't feel the need for a WD hitch? I was going to not get one unless necessary. I have a lot of tongue weight options with my car.

Bought the Explorer tonight BTW.

What do you guys think about towing during break in period?

Nope, don't need the WD hitch. I've towed both this and my Mach 1 several hundred miles at a time and it never felt like it was out of control or even close to being out of control. Very stable and very surefooted while towing. Even ran it up into the Pocono mountains in the rain with my Mach on the trailer with no problems.

And yes, it's an Econotrailer.

Awesome....looks like an Econotrailer like mine. You don't feel the need for a WD hitch? I was going to not get one unless necessary. I have a lot of tongue weight options with my car.

Bought the Explorer tonight BTW.

Congrats on the Explorer. The manual says not to tow for the first thousand miles. While this is probably mainly so the engine and transmission has the correct conditions to learn your driving style, I would still suggest getting at least 500 on it first.

Now you're making want to get a Mustang so I can make it look all nostalgic like you did!!!!

Bought the Explorer tonight BTW. CONGRATS!!!!!

Well I put a good 5000 miles before I even got close to towing, I had a long road trip about 3500 there and back and didn't start towing til like 6500 miles and I had gone through two oil changes.

The first oil change I did about at 1200 miles or so and then at 6200miles. SO I think I went overboard on break in to be honest. But I feel better, next oil change going full synthetic.

Congrats and happy towing! By the way I'm loving the M Coupe and you're making me miss my 2009 M3 DCT...thank god I still have my 03' 325i as my DD.

That was good! :D

I told her that if she ever gets to 125lbs, I'm gonna have to kick her out and find someone lighter so that I stay within the GCWR!!

Now you're making want to get a Mustang so I can make it look all nostalgic like you did!!!!

Well I put a good 5000 miles before I even got close to towing, I had a long road trip about 3500 there and back and didn't start towing til like 6500 miles and I had gone through two oil changes.

The first oil change I did about at 1200 miles or so and then at 6200miles. SO I think I went overboard on break in to be honest. But I feel better, next oil change going full synthetic.

Congrats and happy towing! By the way I'm loving the M Coupe and you're making me miss my 2009 M3 DCT...thank god I still have my 03' 325i as my DD.

I'm heading to Sebring this weekend...was planning on just driving the coupe down there but was thinking it might be fun to try towing. Guess I'll wait until next month to try towing.

I can see how you could miss the M3...such sweet cars. I still have a '06 325i...which is my car. This will be the wife's...and daughters. ;)

Nice! You're gonna be tracking the M? Mine is the Jerez Black one, the only one is this thread.... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387057&highlight=///M+South+Meet

I'm heading to Sebring this weekend...was planning on just driving the coupe down there but was thinking it might be fun to try towing. Guess I'll wait until next month to try towing.

I can see how you could miss the M3...such sweet cars. I still have a '06 325i...which is my car. This will be the wife's...and daughters. ;)

Man that is some good sh*t right there, those are my aspirations in life.... too bad I'll have to settle with Uncle Sams Executive Protection driving academies..lol!

Draper, how far are you from Titisville, PA, visiting in Sept. My brother lives their. Nice Stang by the way!

i max out myST with my mountain bike hitch rack! wish i had a picture to show you just how easily my ST can pull all of those massive aluminum bikes around the mountains! not to mention my skateboard in the bed and my softball gear.

Good explanation of break-in before towing:

http://www.4x4now.com/gt0999.htm

Does a transaxle have a ring/pinion? Either way, the logic behind breaking in metal makes sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good explanation of break-in before towing:

http://www.4x4now.com/gt0999.htm

Does a transaxle have a ring/pinion? Either way, the logic behind breaking in metal makes sense.

Well this really made me re-think my maintenance plan. I think I'll have the tranny and axles fuilds done sooner than later. Maybe at 15k miles for added piece of mind and then follow the posted maintenance as per fordowner.com site.

This is BMWs thinking on the M division during the first 1200mile break in procedure. To flush out metal shavings and what not. So maybe at my next oil change I'll have all the fluids replaced. I'm not to thrilled by the lifetime fuel filter that does not need to be replaced per Ford....seems like this could be the anchilles for the Explorer in the long run. Fuel filter is in the tank so I'm not sure how I'll address this later on.

Back