Votes: 37 44.6%

• Total voters

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
Heres my question, may seem kinda dumb to some but just noticed this...

The other day I was filling up gas, while I usually use Shell gasoline, I opted for exxon because it was cheaper and was on the last end of my pay check...Anyway I seemed to get about a 1/4 better gas mileage with the exxon gas than the Shell gasoline. I filled up with Shell yesterday and it seems to be burning through it quicker than the exxon gas. I know there is difference between gas companies but I just found this odd. I always thought Shell being a high quality gasoline so i figured it would be good to use for the long run.

So what are some of your guys results with different gas? Have you found that using one brand gives you better MPG? Just my two cents?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whatever is cheapest. Don't have a particular brand and haven't noticed a difference.

I use Chevron mostly, but that's only because I have a gas card with them. If I'm not using the gas card I'll find whatever is cheap, mostly Arco or 76. However I do try to buy gas at Costco whenever I can. :thumbsup: Super Cheap!!!

FYI for most (95%) people gas is gas. You have no control over what you are buying base on the sign out front. It all comes out the same pipe. However, there are some things that effect the energy content of the gas. Ethanol is now mixed in the gas at a rate of approximately 10%. Ethanol will not give the same mileage as straight gasoline.
If you are buying you gas in a ozone non-atainment area (bigger cities) it is reformulated or oxyegenated. The reformulated gas typically gives about 10 % less miles per gallon. It is usually more expensive. Look for vapor recovery systems on the nozzle. So buyer be ware.

I use Shell High Octane in the Charger and whatever is cheapest in the Ex. I did have a conversation with the attended at Costoc one day and was impressed with their knowledge of Costoc gas and what is in it and where it comes from. I would not mind filling up the Charger or Ex anytime at Costco.

D

Mostly I use Murphy's (wal-mart) I have always had good mileage with it, once when speaking to a vendor who changes the filters at the pumps, his information told me that they change their filters more than most, and he had yet to see a filter that actually needed replaced. I spoke with him at another location , not at murphy's. When on the road, I look for anything but Exxon/Mobile, the comment from their CEO during the super high price time just ticked me off so I just won't use their brand.

I usually stay away from Ethanol blends, our Wal-Mart stores are using Ethanol blends, it burns faster and I get worse mileage. I use either Shell or Meijer gas, which is from a local producer, Brenner Oil.

I will not buy gas from Citgo or Speedway. One for obvious Hugo Chavez reasons, and Speedway because of price collusion issues around here.

Shell is the best around where I live. I've tried Marathon, Speedway, Meijer, BP, all cant compete with Shell. There is a pretty big diference between them, if I fill up with anything other than Shell or Meijer, I notice fuel mileage goes down and I get less power on the hills.

There is a gas station 5 miles away from me thats like a grocery store/gas station that I refuse to buy gas there! ITS CRAP. I always use cruise control, and normal condition's my X doesnt downshift or unlock the torque converter on any of the hills. When i use that crap by me, not only does the torque converter unlock on the hills, but it also downshifts into 3rd and struggles to make it up the hill, and I get a big loss is MPG. It sucks because the closest Shell, Meijer or any brand name is 25 miles away from me so I have to remember to fill up will I'm in town so I dont have to use that crap in the small town I'm in.

I buy whatever is cheapest.We have a refinery next to our city and according to someone I spoke to that works there all the gas used in our city is produced there.The only difference is different companies get different additives.Instead of shipping gas all over the country they have agreements with other gas companies to supply them gas in other regions where they don't have a refinery.

Right now, I use Conoco. This particular station is ½ mile from my house. Price averages 10¢ per gallon cheaper than most stations. I think they price competitively with a Western station about a mile north of them. Even though it is a few cents cheaper per gallon, there are usually lines to the pumps ALL DAY. Most stations here have 10¢ per gallon price difference between the three grades. Their difference is more than that, so actually, it is cheaper for me to get premium gas at the Conoco.

BP - have a bp card, ford says the fo fo likes bp, see no evidence to dispute that

Shell - pretty good milage on that

wawa - huge fan of wawa sammiches and coffee

Gulf when im stoping in a pinch on the way home from work (only one on the way)

whatever the heck the one on main main in teaneck is when filling up on the way to the shelter

also use exxon and pilot when nothing else is around
im not all that picky, but i do not use delta (god bad gas there in the x once) or any of those discount gas places. period.

I use Valero. They are the only stations around here that do not have any ethanol in their gasoline.

I also use BP. Mainly because I'm in college, and my parents gave me a BP credit card for gas...so, yeah, that's where I go. lol :thumbsup:

I have used BP for the last 3 years.I use their 5% cash back on BP gas purchases credit card.I have beat them up for hundreds of dollars in rebates.

I have used BP for the last 3 years.I use their 5% cash back on BP gas purchases credit card.I have beat them up for hundreds of dollars in rebates.
Explain!!!!:eek: :D

Yeah now that everyone is saying it...Ethanol/gas mixture seems to burn faster on the ol gaugeometer than just plain gasoline. I will try wawa next they always have the cheapest gasoline around my parts. I was a little uneasy to use them though due to the cheap prices. The only reason I went with shell was because of their proclaimed NITROGEN formula which claims to clean off intake valves

I do a lot of driving and probably spend 3 grand a year on gas.I use Bp as much as I can.They rebate me 5% of my gas purchases if I use their card.Do the math.5% of 3k is 150 bucks x 3 years is 450 bucks.They send me a prepaid credit card good for 50 bucks worth of fuel whenever i request it.That is assuming you have that much in your rebate account.

Got some BP today, $2.34 a gallon, car felt peppy. Most likely because I was past Empt when I filled up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do the exact same thing as I heard an Oil Co. CEO say on national TV. "When the low fuel light comes on I drive untill I come to the first gas station and then fill up".
And does different brands effect MPH with my high torque, Hi horsepower 302 in my flyweight chopped top B2.
Hell no...
14MPH..............highway
14MPH..............city
14MPH..............with no cargo or pass.
14MPH..............with wife or girl friend and cargo. (Note: never tried with wife and girlfriend same time. I dont think this would be wise)
There is one exception
10MPH..............when out running girl friends husband

Back