what gear ratio do you have | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what gear ratio do you have

what gear ratio do you run

• 3.07 3.27 or 3.55 (think these were available in explorers)

Votes: 71 19.9%

Votes: 143 40.2%

Votes: 67 18.8%

Votes: 36 10.1%

Votes: 19 5.3%

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters
el shamrocko said:
according to drivetrain.com I have 4.56, but the Explorer Forum says its 3.73 Anybody know which one is accurate?

4.56 stock? no 3.73 sounds right

4.10 came in some v6 broncos and 4 cylinder rangers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.10 was available from the factory on All Rangers, BII's, and Explorer's.

4.56 was also available for many years (up to 94?)

the most common Explorer ratio is 3.73
the most common Ranger and BII ratio was 3.5something.

You could order 4.10 from the factory, it has nothing to do with which vehicle came with what, it has to do with what gear ratios Ford/Spicer offered for the D28, D35, 7.5 and 8.8

drivetrain.com cannot tell you what ratio you have? the door sticker and metal tag on your differential will tell you what Ford stuffed in there

410Fortune said:
drivetrain.com cannot tell you what ratio you have? the door sticker and metal tag on your differential will tell you what Ford stuffed in there

Yup.

3.55 open (gas mileage SUCKS)...would it be advantageous for me to put in some 3.73s? i can get a set for free is why. Would they even help my mpg much for the cost of install? or should i just get some 4.10s? (trying to help my mpg as much as possible im only getting about 11-12 mpg and thats with granny driving) Mods in sig...

4.10 with 31's would be ideal :) truck auto or 5 speed?

slravene said:
3.55 open (gas mileage SUCKS)...would it be advantageous for me to put in some 3.73s? i can get a set for free is why. Would they even help my mpg much for the cost of install? or should i just get some 4.10s? (trying to help my mpg as much as possible im only getting about 11-12 mpg and thats with granny driving) Mods in sig...

What tiyp of driving do u do?
and whats ur gear ratio now?

gears are not expensive BTW, its the install that is.

Good question asked right there, because choosing between 3.73 and 4.10 for your 31" tires depends alot on what kind of driving you plan to do, what transmission you have, and if you plan to go with larger tires/more lift in the future.

410Fortune said:
gears are not expensive BTW, its the install that is.

Good question asked right there, because choosing between 3.73 and 4.10 for your 31" tires depends alot on what kind of driving you plan to do, what transmission you have, and if you plan to go with larger tires/more lift in the future.

yup if he dose mostly hwy and had 3.27 stock he would have a 3.6's now just having non stock tirers roghtly 2 sizes up frome stock. that would actualy give you mostly hwy milage.

I beleave the first gen explorer had 3.08's for hwy stock, 3.27 multy perpous (balanced use), and 3.55 for towing. I bleave the 3.73's where mostly found on the EB modle since that was the ruged explorer.

i have an automatic 4 door, and i might go up to 33s after a 2 or 3 inch bl, but not for a year or so. I do alot of city driving some highway driving and a little offroading. I just want to get out of this 12mpg slump haha

you can choose between 4.10 and 4.56 depending on how you drive. 4.10 = better milage for now, 4.56 would be better once you go 33's, but 4.10 are still workable.

slravene said:
i have an automatic 4 door, and i might go up to 33s after a 2 or 3 inch bl, but not for a year or so. I do alot of city driving some highway driving and a little offroading. I just want to get out of this 12mpg slump haha

ok if u want blaenced proformance on 31's i recomend 3.55's on 33's 3.73's.
if u want torq and dont whant to hear your truck yell at u to much on the hwy. I sujest 3.73's on the 31's and 4.10 on the 33's this would give you a gear ratio of rufly 4.10 that is a good general perpous ratio for towing/offroading and driving.

is it worth it to regear twice? alos how would 410s do with my 31s? good mileage? about how much am i looking at for labor, the gears are free

slravene said:
is it worth it to regear twice? alos how would 410s do with my 31s? good mileage? about how much am i looking at for labor, the gears are free

You will have monster torq like having 4.56' and 33's but you will suffer in milage the more torq the higher rpm the more you burn in gas the lower the rpm the better the gas milage. The key is to find the balance to give you low rpm enogh power to get the tiyers moving and have good torq off road. To low the ratio the harder it is to turn the tiyers to hi the ratio the more your engin reves. More rpm also means hoter engine and thuse more wair.

slravene said:
is it worth it to regear twice?

Not worth it, unless you have $1500+ to blow regearing twice...

Rhett said:
Not worth it, unless you have $1500+ to blow regearing twice...

That depends on vairiabls.

so 410s on 31s will hurt my mileage...whats this about people getting 20mpg on 35s and stuff...i only get 11-12 ha

what kind of prices should i be looking at per axle? for labor

slravene said:
so 410s on 31s will hurt my mileage...whats this about people getting 20mpg on 35s and stuff...i only get 11-12 ha

Well they probibly have 4.10's or 4.56's 4.10's place the ratio at 3.27
4.56's place it at 3.55 thats how they have good milage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AUTOTECH SON :) said:
You will have monster torq like having 4.56' and 33's but you will suffer in milage the more torq the higher rpm the more you burn in gas the lower the rpm the better the gas milage. The key is to find the balance to give you low rpm enogh power to get the tiyers moving and have good torq off road. To low the ratio the harder it is to turn the tiyers to hi the ratio the more your engin reves. More rpm also means hoter engine and thuse more wair.

i dunno, im runing 32"s on 4.56 and im getting gas mileage thats unheard of. but i also dont use the highway and dont normally go above 60-65 mph

Back