What is better explorer xlt or sport trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is better explorer xlt or sport trac?

Jlterrones

Reaction score
City, State
San jose ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
So i have a 2005 explorer 4.0 and a guy wants to trade for his sport trac 2001 also 4.0. They both have around the same miles and i dont know. I lime it but i also like mine. I have been wanting a pick up for a while. So whats better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer is better. If you want a truck get a F150.

Not to mention you'd be getting ripped off big time. No way a 2001 is equal value to a 2005.

Around here the sportTrac sell for crazy high prices. I don't get it.

Ur right man. And i kno right over here too thats why i was thinkin about it. The explorers here are about 3000$ and the sport tracks about 4500 for an older model

Why get an older pickup? It's not like you're going to have more space to store large things. With your SUV, you can fit a lot of stuff in it (I once fit a fridge in mine - full size). With the sport trac, you won't be able to, plus it's not covered!

Why get an older pickup? It's not like you're going to have more space to store large things. With your SUV, you can fit a lot of stuff in it (I once fit a fridge in mine - full size). With the sport trac, you won't be able to, plus it's not covered!

I usually move big stuff on a ramped trailer. Easy to load stuff onto, no lifting.

XLT has a better roof rack in my opinion. Better options, I often haul ladders, lumber, and a kayak. Plus I have a ramped trailer and towing package, so for what it is it does well. YMMV

I have both an '04 Explorer 4x4 and an '05 Sport Trac. The Explorer will soon by my sons to drive. As far as maintenance and repairs the Sport Trac has required less, but they have been comparable overall. Pretty happy with both vehicles actually. The '01 Trac is the first year, so I am not sure I would make the trade.. Just my 2 cents worth.. If you do consider the trade, ask for maintenance records on the 'Trac. If well maintained that can make a difference. This will mainly come down to what you need the most. Since I have both plus my wife's Edge I don't have to make a choice.. Good luck!

I would only get a sport trac if it has the 4.6

IMO, all of the various very short back-bed trucks like Cadillac, Avalanche, Explorer, are pretty much useless for real work haulage of any intent. imp

IMO, all of the various very short back-bed trucks like Cadillac, Avalanche, Explorer, are pretty much useless for real work haulage of any intent. imp

You forgot the Hummer H2/H3 lol

and yes, any real hauling should be done with a trailer, can handle way more weight.

I dont like the ranger it looks too simple. And i kno buti dont want it for work, i want it to put some tools on the back

Yeah im looking for an f150 crewcab

IMO I would stick with the Explorer, especially if you want to haul tools around. I was a subcontractor for many years and started out with a Windstar and after the tranny died I picked up a GMC sierra 1500. I like the fact that the tools felt safer in the Windstar as well as during winter months by the time I got to a job site the tools were not freezing cold. Since then I have gotten rid of the GMC and have 2 explores that I use for hauling everything from our camper, lumber and drywall for the house renos and have even had the 92 filled from front to back top to bottom with firewood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back