What is this and where does it go???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this and where does it go????

Reaction score
City, State
Titusville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I have a 1993 Explorer 2 door Sport. Some time in it's life the engine was replaced. I was replacing all the A/C parts today and came across this part hanging by a single wire in the engine compartment on the driver side. What kind of dang deal is it and where does it go. It looks to go in a good size hole someplace but I can't find it.

photo.php

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...16807103.1073741838.1380838108&type=3&theater

Sorry, this is the ONLY way I could figure how to insert a photo on this site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That appears to be your oil level sensor. It should be screwed into the driver's side of the oil pan, in front of the starter. If the replacement engine already had one, someone just left that one hanging instead of pulling it and plugging the wires into the replacement engine's sensor.

I looked and it's hard to see because of the cross member but I can't see a place for it on the oil pan. Is it possible that when they replaced the engine they used an engine from a different year or model and didn't have a place for it and just let it hang?

Also, there is oil/grease all over the oil pan from front to back. At first I was told it was the rear main seal because the dripping was from where the transmission mount to the engine but the oil is all over the oil pan and in searching I found that the oil pan gasket on these can harden and crack and leak so I think I will do the oil pan gasket first and see if that fixes the leak but back to my original question if the engine in there now doesn't have a place for that sensor I may just find an oil pan that does have than and since I'm replacing the oil pan gasket I will also change the oil pan.

If I knew how to post a picture on here I would put the pictures I have of the oil pan.

I can't get a good view on it but up near the starter is something that looks like a small (maybe 1/2" to 5/8") freeze plug. I tried to feel along the side of the oil pan and just about where I think this should be by looking at online pictures I can feel what seems to be a threaded hold but it feels like there's another one of those freeze plug type plugs in the hole. Does any of this sound right. I will know better when I change the oil pan gasket and take the oil pan out.

In changing the oil pan gasket and now completely taking the oil pan out is there any tricks or tips anyone has to take the oil pan out without running in to problems with the oil pump.

You need to pull the engine to replace the oil pan gasket.

Is that the only way to change the oil pan gasket is to pull the engine? I have a Mazda B3000 that needed the oil pan gasket replaced and had the guy at the Exxon station down the street replace the oil pump and pan gasket and he was able to do it without removing the engine but that was a 3.0l and the Explorer has a 4.0l.

I'm in the process of replacing all the A/C parts and have the radiator and all the A/C parts out. If I really need to pull the engine to change the gasket I may just replace the rear main seal. Can I pull the engine and transmission out together? About 10 years ago I restored a 1968 Shelby GT500 Mustang with a 428 7.0l engine and a C6 automatic transmission and we pulled both together.

Thanks

Much easier to remove the trans. But you don't actually have to pull the engine. Just get it out & high enough to clear the front crossmember to get the pan to drop & seal the pan. The recommended way is to RTV it as well as a gasket.
Mines leaking, been leaking & will continue to leak cause it cost too much to fix.

"RTV"? Not sure what that is. At this point it's not just the gasket but the oil pan needs to be replaced since the engine that was replaced is not exactly the correct engine and this Explorer has an oil level sensor but the engine they put in has an oil pan without the oil level sensor. I just got the correct oil pan for it yesterday and plan to replace the oil pan next week and figure this out in the next few days. I've talked to a friend of a friend and tells me he can do this for $100 and I know he's not going to talk the transmission out. Maybe he know something we don't know or maybe he just doesn't know what he's dealing with. This is the reason I need to know before I have someone screw it up.

Maybe he know something we don't know or maybe he just doesn't know what he's dealing with
I'll go with this. There is zero way you can change the oil pan without lifting the engine darn near out. Well actually I supposed you can cut the cross member off & re-weld it back on.

Back