what make and year will interchange with 96 explorer 4.0 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what make and year will interchange with 96 explorer 4.0 4x4

t5535

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
what make and year will interchange with 96 explorer 4.0 4x4???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So was a 4r44e ever in the 2wd 1996 model? My dealer tells me that the "T" transmission is a 4r44e in my 1996.?.?.?

Can you look at one and visually tell then if it is a 4r55e or a 5r55e? Can I then safely assume that my 1996 with a "T" code is a 4r55e?

Not including reverse...

4R= 4 speed including Overdrive

5R= 5 speed including Overdrive

5R55E wasnt available until '97.

The electronics in a '96 will not support a 5R without some major modifications.

The number of solenoids are different. You can see them from the sides of the trans right above the trans pan.

4R55E pics
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2534911&postcount=300

Ok, so to further clear up the muddy water, will a 5r valve body work on the 4r? My dealer's parts man must really be ignorant of this stuff. I have been ordering 4r44e parts for my now 4r55e tranny. I have been wanting to replace the valve body on mine and have been asking all these vb questions based on the 4r44e. What does interchange?

Thanks for clearing this up. So, I basically have a tranny that was in the explorer lineup for only 2 years? My 1954 Ford Tractor is the same, has a lift system made for only 2 years and then it got improved. I must be so lucky!

Question, will the 4.0 1993 motor mate up to a 4r44e?

im trying to fix some guys ranger booboo, cant seem to get the starter to engage the flexplate. 1996 ranger with 93 explorer motor bolted up to a 4r44e.

he had a starter from a 2.3 in there and i took it out and swapped it for a 4.0 starter but had no luck with getting it to engage the flexplate. i think im going to try bolting a 2.3 flexplate up in there seeing how i replaced the flexplate with a 4.0 out of 1996 ranger 4.0.

so complicated, if anyone knows anything about it let me know :D

I would say the 1996 flex plate is the problem, you need the flex plate and starter that went with the 4R44E, there maybe a starter torque problem, don't know.

Back