Votes: 88 20.8%

• Total voters

olivesman

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie '91 Sport
Just trying to find out what oil is most common. i'm not worried about brand at this time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your owners manual should determine what weight oil you are using!

5W30 in the winter 10W30 in summer but when I lived in a warmer climate it was 10W30 all year round.

the owners manuel does say, but a lot of companies have been recommending differents weights for different vehicles. i switched to the 5W30 for the winter and will probably go back to 10W30 for the summer.

I use Mobil 10W-30 Tri-synthetic. It's not one of the choices. Oh well...

I use Castrol GTX 10W30 Synthetic, its not listed.

We use Mobile 1 synthetic.. (10w 40).. still going strong at 229k miles.. (39k in the last 10 months)..

~Mark

I run 10W30 Moble 1 all year round. It does not get thick in the winter like regular oil...

i didn't realize so many people used synthetic but i heard the ones that did prefered the 5W50. i was also hoping a moderator would extend the choices b/c it limited me to 5. sorry guys. honestly, no offense intended, i just didn't relize synthetic MOTOR oil was so popular. all my cars in the past always leaked when i used the synthetic so i havn't used it in years.

that means the sludge in your regular oil filled and clogged up your engine leaks:):):):):):):;);)

i also was hoping to get responses about using a 5W... oil. i know the theory about how motors now a days are much "tighter" and do not require such a thick oil, but was wondering what people on here thought.

5W30 Amsoil Synthetic.

Originally posted by olivesman
i also was hoping to get responses about using a 5W... oil. i know the theory about how motors now a days are much "tighter" and do not require such a thick oil, but was wondering what people on here thought.

5W is not thick, it's thin. The higher the number, the thicker the oil is. As oil gets hotter, the flow quality improves. You want to use oil with a low first number (like 5W) in cold climates to help with starting.

Before the multi-grades became available, some people put in 40 or 50 weight oil before selling high mileage vehicles. This supposedly stopped some of the minor leaks.

oil?! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN OIL!!!!

I added 10w30 synthetic.......just cause that's what I use. :)

good old 10w30 for now, but i will go to 10w30 synthetic and all other fluids will be changed to synthetics at my next oil change.

Originally posted by Peter Weber
5W is not thick, it's thin.

thanks man, i had no clue! Dead Link Removed

I stick with the 5W30 that the newer Explorers are supposed to use. Usually just the regular stuff, not synth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with thicker oil you could simply have hard time at start-up in freezing weather. need more cranking power. 10W30 worked for me for a long time...... will see for how long.

Back