Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 5W30

Votes: 140 33.0%
  • 5W50 synthetic

Votes: 54 12.7%
  • 10w30 synthetic

Votes: 88 20.8%

• Total voters
150, 000 miles in 7 years. Took possession from the dealer and was changing the oil within an hour. Pennzoil 5W-30 from day one. Oil changes with Gunk Motor Flush every 3-4000 miles and Ford FL-1A filters. Not a single engine problem and never have to add oil between changes. She finally gets OE shocks replaced this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

castrol GTX 5/30 the only ive ever used in it

What I do know about oil.

I was advised by Ford Australia that Ford changed their original recomendation of 10W40 to 5W30 because they could not achieve thier claimed fuel consumption on the 10W40.

While I have been following this recommendation for a trial period of 2 years I will now be going to a the thicker 10W40. I have in the past had trouble with an early model Mazda engine which relied on oil pressure to maintain timing chain tension and my Explorer is making the same intermitant chain noises.

When I asked Ford service about this they claimed that the engine had a rear timing chain which was suffering the same fate as my old Mazda. I would have thought that in this age ratchet type chain tensioners would be the norm, but apparently not.

Oh well I am confident that the 10W40 will increase the oil pressure and that will in turn apply more pressure on the chain tensioner.

What do you think ?

I run the cheapest oil wal-mart sells. I have over 100k on it and it still get 19 mgs highway and starts one the 1st try everytime. And of course turbines use synthetics, that's why they were invented. A reciprocating motor will never get as hot as a turbine. I know I'm an aviation mechanic.

Heavier wt in the summer, lighter wt in the winter, but always Mobil One.

Switched from whatever the quick lube places put in there to 10w30 M1 on '91 X. Will change '02 X to 5w30 M1 at 1000 miles, and change it every 5000 miles. Using K&N Gold Filter in '91, Using Motorcraft filter in '02. Have a 93 Toyota V6 that gets 5W30 M1 and K&N Gold filter.

I'm sold on synthetics because of the added protection. Had one of my vehicles overheat and warp the heads ($3000). Wasn't using synth, and not sure if it would have help protect the engine, but the specs are so much better temp wise that it's cheap insurance.

I will change my out of warrantee cars every 7500 on synthetics, In warantee will be changed at the "Normal" driving interval using synthetics.

Fumoto drain valves on all cars!

Motorcraft filter and Mobil Drive Clean 5W30 every 3,000 miles.

The manufacturer recommends 5W30 for a reason. Why second-guess them?

For the life of my X, it has been running the cheapest wal-mart brand oil.

I was wondering if switching to syntheitic this late in its life (133k) would yield any benefits? I know how synthetics supposedly can help out a lot of things in your engine, but my main question is about using it after running el cheapo oil for years.

There are two schools of thought on this issue. Some say the change will cause leaks; I personally love synthetic and would never use anything else. Many have changed in older motors.

Good luck.....

Besides my X I also have my "Baby". My 88 Mustang GT. It has a slightly modified 5.0 thats an ass kicker.
When I purchased her back in 88 I ran the factory oil for about 2000 miles, dropped the oil, ran real oil till it hit 5000 miles and then started Mobil 1. She's got 260,000 miles on her now, never had any major engine problems and she still runs strong. I'm sold on synthetics. I also use them in the tranny and rear end.

Anyone here who has experienced leaks from switching to syn late in your truck's life?

Will I gain any benefits from switching at 133k?

well I figured I'd give it a try at 104k. As of yet, no leaks and I've been told that the synthetic will clean out the deposits the old dyno oil has built up over the years. I'm changing the oil at 7500, so we'll see what it looks like then.

:chug: :chug:

I'm also concered about that(changing to syn. after many years of reg. oil changes) has anyone changed over from reg. oil to syn. when the vehicle has over 100,000 miles? I run Wix oil filters and valvoline max life 10w-30 oil. No troubles here at 146,000, no burning, no leaking...

Oil... you mean there is supposed to be oil in my rig :D

Only if that red light is really glowing bright!...or so I heard....

naw, that red light thing is for mopars only.

:chug: :chug:

What exactly does it mean when oil has the API Certified symbol on it? I've been using Formula Shell 5-30 in my Explorer since the day I brought it home. (a few months ago :D ) Don't forget a Purolator Pure One. Quaker State synthetic blend ATF in the transfer case and power steering.

I've run Mobil 1 10W30 in my truck since I got it at 59,000 miles. Rear main seal has a tiny leak now at 96,000 but it doesn't even leak enough to leave any spots on the driveway.

Just switched over to Synthetic fluids all around!

I'm using all 5W30 ROYAL PURPLE. Anyone else use Royal Purple?

bottle158.gif
logo158.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mobil 1 ****tail

Summer= 2qts 5w30 + 3 qts 10w30
Winter = 3qts 5w30 +2 qts 10w30

Back