What size tire to Improve Ride Quality ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size tire to Improve Ride Quality ??

My 98 EB 2WD currently is running 255/70-16s Goodyear RT/S tires.

I just came back from a long road trip, and couldn't even fall asleep in the damn thing (while the better 1/2 was driving), cause the ride was so rough. :mad:

The truck has newer shocks and has been very well maintained. I must say that I'm VERY dissatisfied with the current Goodyear RT/S's. They just plain SUCK! VERY poor ride and traction.

I'll be shopping for tires soon and would like to know what SIZE tire will give my EB the BEST quality ride.

Suggestions ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ever rotated the tires?What kind of shocks do you have?

Check your tire pressure. That can effect the ride a lot. Make sure it is not at the max.

Originally posted by Chew_12
Check your tire pressure. That can effect the ride a lot.
I have them set at 35lbs.

What PSI do you guys set your tires at ??

I keep mine at 32psi and the ride is comfortable with no decrease in MPG.

Goodyear's tires are very "stiff".... Try the same truck, but with Michelins... WOW!!!! you will think you are riding in a caddy...!!!

But remember, you own a truck... its going to be a stiff ride.. If you want luxury cruising, buy a Benz.

Michelin LTX M/S OE size.

I've got 275-55/18 Michelin Cross Terrains and they ride remarkably better than the stock Firestone Wilderness rubber.

Yes, even with the shorter sidewall the Michelins are smoother and quieter.

HTH,
Scott

I agree about getting the Michelins. I experienced how good they are with my dad's Dodge Ram. It is also true about the tire psi- there's a bit of a difference in ride quality between 32 psi compared to 35 psi. I guess its not so much the SIZE more than what type and brand of tires you should get.

Back