1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

what to look for when buying an OBDII SCANNER

Discussion in 'Tools and Garage' started by LONO100, January 29, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 sport trac XLT
      hey fellas, im looking into buying an OBDII scanner so i dont have to keep going to aamco and dealing with those fools to get codes read. what should i be looking for when buying one? ive seen them at my local walmart for about 100 bucks. are these junk? or a good deal? i would like to get one that can read codes accurately and also be able to reset CEL lights if possible. any help would be awesome. thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      mainly OBDII codes. how much should i be paying for one?

5. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. tdavis

tdavis Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pinole, CA
      2001 F250/XLT Superduty
      Callsign:
      KG6MAX
      Wait, your in the SF Bay area?

Just bring it to me, I've got the Ford Autoenginuity OBD stuff... so it can do it all.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Else, do you have an Android phone? If so, get the an OBDII bluetooth module, and get Torque from the Android Market..

7. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      tdavis, you are the man! thanks for the offer. im still going to buy an OBD II scanner, i unfortunately dont have a droid phone and i think the scanner would be a nice tool for the garage. i may have to meet up with you some time in the future though if that autoingenuity can reprogram my speedo since i threw the 33"s on. my tranny has been shifting late ever since. im right over the bridge in solano county, ill have to meet up with you as soon as i make a full recovery from my car accident (still limping around liek an old man!).

8. tdavis

tdavis Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pinole, CA
      2001 F250/XLT Superduty
      Callsign:
      KG6MAX
      PM when you feel ready. Supposedly, it can do that..

9. DaExplorer

DaExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego Ca / Big Bear Ca
      97 XLT SOHC 4x4
      I got mine from HarborFreight, inexpensive. I see that they have it on sale now for $59.99 with $6.99 shipping.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

Easy to use and can clear codes. Only used it a couple of times. Used it recently when the check engine light came on and read it to find it was a transmission issue, Which I already knew was an issue. Had to have it rebuilt.

On a side note glad to hear you are still getting around. Guess they didn't find the SOB that hit you. Hang in there.

10. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      yeah, im getting around, feeling better everyday. i should be back to full strength in a few weeks. they havent caught the guy, and it looks like that a hole will be getting away with it. chp called me and told me that they did all they could but without more witnesses or unless he turns himself in, theres nothing more they can do. i was bummed about it, but then my gf asked me, "well, would you rather you were killed or lost a limb and they caught the guy" in my eyes, im glad youre gonna be ok. your a lucky guy." that made me let go of trying to find the guy and just moving forward.

as for that harbor freight scanner, ill have to check it out. do they sell it in their store? or is it online only? because theres a harbor freight right by my house. id like to take a look at it. thanks for all the info fellas, much appreciated.

11. DaExplorer

DaExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego Ca / Big Bear Ca
      97 XLT SOHC 4x4
      Yes they have them in their stores. I didn't know how far one was from you.

Your GF put it in prospective. You are still here. They make cars every year and make extra parts to do car parts transplants.
      I just figure what goes around comes around.

12. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      i checked out harbor freights website, and they had a few scanners. the one you posted for 60 bucks and this one for 90 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/obd-ii-eobd-multilingual-code-scanner-99722.html

is the only difference between these two are the navigation arrows on the 90 dollar model? do they do all the same things? because if its just the nav arrows, im going to spring for the 60 dollar unit tomorrow. thanks again fellas.

13. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      just wanted to say thanks to all you fellas for giving me the lowdown on OBD scanners, i went out and bought the 60 dollar scanner from harbor freight. i was worried it might not work, or just down right suck, but it worked like a charm! easy to use, very clear and doesnt require batteries. the best 60 bucks i spent this year.

14. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. skoville

skoville Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Silver Springs, NV
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT
      Being on a VERY limited income [and a gadget freak] the 60 buck one sounds good.

If I have no dash lights on except the "Door Ajar" because my hatch won't close completely, can I postpone getting one ?

Oooooo! It's on sale for $45 !!

Last edited: January 20, 2017
    16. skoville

skoville Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Silver Springs, NV
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT

I have seen ones for &14......junk?

17. skoville

skoville Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Silver Springs, NV
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT

I watched the video from you scanner link and the guy said it only diagnosed the engine. You said it coded the trans? Or am I looking at the wrong one?

18. Briansammy

Briansammy New Member

City, State:
      New York
      Chrysler, 2001 & LS
      In the event that you are just getting it to attempt to settle your car, and not as a tool to have, auto part stores at times read the codes for you. The readers will for the most part have a user manual and description provided along with them. Do not go for expensive OBD2 readers unless you know the ups and downs with it.

That is the thing that I ordinarily do since my OBD 2 reader just gives me a code. Hunting down the code online will for the most part give you a smart thought as to what the issue seems to be. A few things will require some examination that may include searching for somebody with a similar make/display who got a similar code.

19. 08EddieCA

08EddieCA Active Member

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      2008 X Eddie B. 4.0L AWD
      I don't know much about scanners for my iOS scanners. Would love to know The tranny fluid temp.

Last edited: June 19, 2017