What type of transmission?

Elk_hunter

Reaction score
City, State
champaign,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi all,

I was trying to find the info out,and haven't came across it yet.

I have 2 explorers. one is a 96 xlt 4.0 ohv 2X4.
the other is same except is a 97 and a 4x4.

what transmission does these each have.

My haynes book said 5R55E or 4R70W, is there a way to find this out on the truck?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 97 it would have a 5r55e if it has 4.0L engine (either one), 4r70w if it has 5.0L engine.

5r55e was new for 97, so the 96 has 4r55e.

You can verify this by looking on the sticker attached to the driver door jamb. Search here under VIN to decipher the codes for the transmission (and other equipment)

Thanks, i got the one for the 97.

But for the 96, the code on the door is T, and all the searches I have done on this site, never mention a transmission code of T??

My Chilton manual says the following:

1991-94 code T is for the A4LD transmission
1995-97 code T is for the 4R55E (4.0L) transmission
1996-97 code U is for the 4R70W (5.0L) transmission
1997 code D is for the 5R55E transmission

My manual only covers yrs 91-97.

Thanks alot man!!

My haynes didnt' even have that listed. Can ya look something else up for me,
What is the capacity of trans fluid if you only drop the pan, should be in the front of the chapter? my had 3 qts for 4r70w, and 4 for the 5r55e?

they don't list it that way

They only give total capacity of the trans

for yr 96 and 97 they give 9.5 qts for the 4.0L (4r55e or 5r55e),add 0.3 for 4wd

for yr 96 and 97 they give 13.9 qts for the 5.0L (4r70w)

I just changed mine last weekend and got just a tad over 4 qts when I dropped the pan. (5r55e)

Also, I would check the owner's manual, that info may be more correct than Chilton.

I have both Haynes and Chilton, they each have good points and bad points. Chilton has more info, but also covers the Ranger so there is a lot of superfluous info that you must sort thru. Both are incomplete.

You might want to check this out Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the info!!

on the haynes that I have for 91-98(?) manual on the first chapter it talks about this, and list if you dont drop the pan you add eihter 3 or 4 for this. but i'm guess since my tranny is for a 4.0. and yours is the bigger of the too, the 3 qt is close to what i need, I'll of course check the levels but i know a small ballpark on this one,

thanks again for the help!

Back