1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What would it take?

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by ssalvi, October 30, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ssalvi

ssalvi New Member

City, State:
      Central MA
      Year and Model:
      04 Ford Explorer NBX
      What would it take to put a set of BFG AT's on my 04 Explorer?
      LT 315 / 70 R 17

New wheels? 6" lift? Is it even worth it?

I have the availability to get 5 of these tires for $400. I need tires anyway that are going to run me about a grand new, so I was thinking if I can get a lift and everything for the same $$$ it's worth it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St. Petersburg, Florida
      Year and Model:
      2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      315's are super fat tires. I can't recall seeing an explorer with anything wider than 285's. Off the top of my head you'd need new wheels with the correct backspacing, a suspension lift and a body lift. The lift alone will run you at least $800; never mind the new wheels. Even then I think you'll have some clearance issues.

I say take the good deal then sell them for a profit. Then go out and buy your tires.

4. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2008 XLT Ironman
      It's going to cost you a lot more than $1000 to get those to fit. Best just to either pass on them or buy with intent to resell for profit. You can fit 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 on there now with no or minimal lift (ie, the $50 1.5" body lift). Also, Treadwright makes the Warden (almost an exact copy of the bfg at) in those sizes for about 120 a tire.

5. 05Eddie4me

05Eddie4me New Member

City, State:
      Dallas
      Year and Model:
      2005 Eddie Bauer
      285 width is about as wide as you can fit, but it requires trimming and lift. Anything larger than 285 will need either a spacer or more offset to bring them out, so they don't rub on the steering knuckles, but then you will have your tires stick out about an inch or so outside of the wheel well, and I personally don't like that look.

I have a set of 265/70/17, about 2 inches larger than stock, on stock wheels and they fill the wheel well nice and don't rub at all, they are also 20mm wider, so about 3/4 of an inch wider as well. 285 were fitted just because i wanted to see how they fit, and they FILLED the wheel wells, no way to run those without a lift and MAJOR trimming as far as I could see.

6. AlexSport'00

AlexSport'00 Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      Year and Model:
      2000 Explorer Sport
      Those are basically 35"s man (Standard size: 34.4x12.4/17). Not an easy thing to just fit on there. Definitely going to need a lift. I'd say buy them, resell them for more, and buy some tires that fit your truck now (or with minimal lift).
      Or, a much more fun option, SAS!!!!!!!! ;)

7. ssalvi

ssalvi New Member

City, State:
      Central MA
      Year and Model:
      04 Ford Explorer NBX
      Thanks guys...I had a feeling it would be a nightmare. Sounds like a future project maybe? :)

8. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St. Petersburg, Florida
      Year and Model:
      2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      For you and everyone else in here :bigthumbup:

9. Wills05xlt4x4

Wills05xlt4x4 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ashland Va
      Year and Model:
      2005 Xlt 4x4
      Once I get my gears in I want to possibly run a 34" tire but that'd be pushing it....