1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What year and models interchange

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by repodad, May 29, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. repodad

repodad New Member

City, State:
      Chester, Pa
      Year and Model:
      93 xlt sport
      Looking for another A4LD trans for my 93 explorer. Wondering what years and models trans will interchange with it? Its hard to find explorers where I live so I was looking for other models. Any help is appreaciated Victor

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      The 91-94 models will all swap with each other. The 93-94 supposedly are slightly calibrated better, just very minor differences. Get one with the least mileage, which has never been burned up. What I have would be good for you, but the shipping is very high for heavy stuff like these. I parted out my 93 Limited two years ago, I saved the 112k engine/trans(4x4). Good luck,

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year and Model:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      You are pretty much limited to an A4LD from behind a 4.0 engine in a Ranger/BII/Explorer (which limits you to '91 to '94, maybe some '90 RBV's). I think Aerostars will also work, but there may be a few things like shifter connector and dip stick. A 2.9 L A4LD will bolt up to your 4.0, but the 2.9 L A4LD had weaker internals.
      You don't say if you have 2wd or 4wd. Converting a 2wd trans to 4wd (or vice versa) requires dissassembling the transmission in order to replace the output shaft. I assume the reason you are looking for a transmission is to avoid rebuilding the existing transmission, in which case it doesn't make sense to buy a transmission that you will have to tear down and reassemble to make it work.

5. repodad

repodad New Member

City, State:
      Chester, Pa
      Year and Model:
      93 xlt sport
      I'm sorry its 4wheel drive. The reason being I think I blew out the front seal and with the fluid full the trans is starting to slip when I put it in drive and reverse. Thanks for the information on which models. Victor

6. jhoilund

jhoilund New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver Island
      tranny interchange

Does a 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 manual transmission (mitsubishi?pos) 2.9L interchange with a 1992 ford explorer 4L?