• Register Today It's free!

whats it called?

crash_n_burn

Reaction score
City, State
san bernardino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 bronco II
ok so i have a 89 b2 and ive had it a while.. done a few mild things to it but havent had much play money... but my problem that im having now is a ticking noise coming from the back of the car but underneath.. i just took a look and found a seal on the drive shift was pretty much gone and i could see what looks like a bearing... now im pretty sure thats whats making noise... right now this is my only car so i need to know what to do about this bearing... how to fix it and what its really called so i can get a new one.(i do want to do upgrades but slowly cuz money is limited. im trying to get something else for a daily driver) so any ideas on what to do about the noise??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its coming out fo the rear end its a driveshaft set up that ive never worked on so ive never seen it...

its coming out of the rear end... havent worked on anything like this set up...

Are you talking about the universal joint? It has 4 little bearings that are about inches in dia. Put the truck up on jack stands and turn the drive shaft back and forth while in neutral and see if you have play in those bearings. A pic would be nice. Or more info.

Ford had some great idea about using a C.V. drive shaft ( has rubber boots around C.V. joints, looks like a front wheel drive axle shaft ) in the rear of the Bronco IIs, they are junk. If that's what you've got you can unbolt it & turn it around to get a few more miles out of it. The real fix is to get a drive shaft with a standard style u-joint at the rear axle & a double cardan end at the t-case.

Your drive shaft should look similar to this front wheel drive axle shaft.

delorean-inner-drive-shaft.jpg

Get a new one like this.
stock_5.jpg

Back