Where are all the Virginia Explorers?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the Virginia Explorers??

Josh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4 Door Explorer XLT
I see a bunch of you on the road and have met some via e-mail and phone. I just want to put this out to anybody who might want to get together to do some wheelin or even meet and greet. 2 wheel drive friends welcome to. I have talked to a few of you on other threads and I thought I would consolodate to a specific thread. We may be able to help each other out in our Explorer needs as well. So what do you guys say? :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am here. Last week I started a tread, I heard that Slades park in Surry was open for wheeling. I have not confirmed the rumor, yet. If in fact it is open it would be a great place for a meet and greet.

Yea, I used to ride out there a lot when I had my dirt bike. The only bad thing is all the 2 wheeled traffic on the weekends. My truck had a very tramatic experience out there as well that required a tractor and 50 bucks. I want to go out to GWNF or some place cool to do some real wheelin and maybe some camping. I am out of town for a little while and I know another guy that is coming back soon. I have seen a bunch of lifted X's around here so maybe more people will follow.

Well, not the true VA, but the real one of the 2, WVA. haha

I'd like to meet up sometime for some wheeling. I've been to GWNF once, but it wasn't that tough. I was on 31's with a locker at the time and it was snowing. Are there harder trails there.

I'll be back in VA (Charlottesville and Blacksburg) in 2 weeks and ready to hit the mountains... been living in the SC Lowcountry for 7 months now

JoshC said:
Well, not the true VA, but the real one of the 2, WVA. haha
There is a reason that VA gave that place away. :p

I can do whatever I can to help you guys out for planning and such, but my truck is on hold for at least another year. :rolleyes:

I know there is a public trail down at Potts Mtn (Craig County), but last I heard it was closed for cleaning. I haven't heard if has re-opened or not, I will look into it. I also here some rumors about some trails in Crozet, and I know that there is a comp there, but from the information I have, it is all private.

We need to find a hookup somewhere along I-81 that knows the area. Lord knows that there has to be a thousand good spots along the mountains, but I never hear about them as east as I am.

Robb said:
There is a reason that VA gave that place away. :p .

Kiss my :mattmoon: ;)

Robb said:
We need to find a hookup somewhere along I-81 that knows the area. Lord knows that there has to be a thousand good spots along the mountains, but I never hear about them as east as I am.

Shoe Creek is a great run (and Big Level's when its open)

I did this run with the NOVAJeepers

Shoe Creek is accessible from exit 205 on I-81 (Raphine/Steele's Tavern) You take 56 E over the mountain (and parkway) and back down. Turn R past the fish hatchery and climb up the dirt road, until you hit the Crabtree Meadows parking lot (Crabtree Falls is about 1.5 miles down the path and has gorgeous views ~ falls go for over 1000 feet) You can also come from 250 W, to 151 S (like your heading to Wintergeen) and then take 56 W and turn Left before the fish hatchery

But yeah, there are a TON of places to wheel along 81, I usually just grab a Atlas and Gazetteer map and start looking for 4x4 trails. Thats how i found all the trails near blacksburg

Another Shoe Creek and surround trails right up

Almost everything I have seen in the GWNF is not to difficult. The trails are still fun. I have been around RT 60 and RT250, and RT 33 as they pass through GWNF. The best and most popular trails are around RT 33. The best place (popular) to camp is Crabtree, the best (solitary) are the areas around Reddish Knob. There are lots of other placed that I haven't been.

Well great to see all the locals, even if your from WV. LOL! I'm in Washington state now until August 21st. But at least we have a place to go to get a hold of everyone. I've been wanting to go up by grab tree falls but never worked out. Anything is better than VA Beach.

I would be down to go if I could just ride shotgun with someone (kinda sucks to be lowered).

boominXplorer said:
(kinda sucks to be lowered).

We've been telling you all that for years!! :p

I propose that the Virginia Explorers make a run to the GWNF on Saturday September 18, 2004. I suggest the trails around the Route 33 (Harrisonburg). There are many good trails in the area. The JMU contingent seems to be prety consistent about getting some vehicles on the trails. It is also a pretty central location DC, Richmond, West Virginia. It has been almost a year since we had a run, I think is is time for us to get off our ***** and get into the woods.

what's up everyone? September would be great for me except that i'm getting married oct 2, so i'm trying to save every dime right now. anybody down this way, there are some small places we could do some wheeling at.

unclemeat said:
I propose that the Virginia Explorers make a run to the GWNF on Saturday September 18, 2004.

Oh man, y'all are seriously going to test my loyalties aren't you?

The red marks away games, otherwise, it may be hard to drag me out of Blacksburg...

Attachments

• VT Football schedule.jpg
    VT Football schedule.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,308

WVU is going to stomp you again!

JoshC said:
WVU is going to stomp you again!

Oooooooh how I hate WVU (and Marshall)...

Why does the state of WVa have the most rowdy, honry, disrespectful fans in the nation?

We have never made it back from a game in WVa (Morgantown, Huntington, etc) with out car getting keyed/egged or getting beer thrown/poured on us

I don't know but please don't hold that against me! LOL

I don't even follow WV sports. I went to Marshall and I HATE their football team. They walk around campus thinking they are big and bad, but we have to remind them they are in the MAC!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am open to other dates. I don't want to go on September 11, because it is race week in Richmond.

Back