• Register Today It's free!

Where are the grounds on a 5r55e?

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
Does anyone have an explanation or diagram to where the grounding points are on a 5r55e? I just want to clean them up. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Karpiel73
To my knowledge, there are no electrical connections involving grounding, at the transmission itself.

However, I've been wrong before. imp

It is grounded through being bolted to the engine block. What I do if I feel I am having a grounding issue with transmission is add a ground strap. Attached to the transmission and the to vehicle chassis.
IMG_3581.JPG

That's good info and advice. I'll try and clean the grounds up and an extra ground won't hurt either. Thank you!

The metal rings on this transfer case gasket are for grounding the case to the transmission case. The gasket is not required as there is no fluid shared between transmission and transfer. Ford would not have made this piece if it wasn't important.
IMG_3598.JPG

The metal rings on this transfer case gasket are for grounding the case to the transmission case. The gasket is not required as there is no fluid shared between transmission and transfer. Ford would not have made this piece if it wasn't important.
View attachment 96689
@transman304
True that! However, the Electronic Clutch in the T-case is the only operational part, case or transmission, which depends on it's ground-flow current to pass back via the case. Only one wire, the brown one, feeds it. All of the solenoids in the transmission have two wires: one brings the current to their coils, while the other returns it to ground within the PCM.

So, the big bolts squeezing the transmission to the engine provide pretty bullet-proof grounding. Your point about the T-case gasket is most interesting; understand, I'm not knocking anything, just pointing out how I sees things. No harm will be done by installiong a ground strap between transmission and engine.

What I said about the bolts holding things together applies also to the T-case. imp

Thanks for the info. I figured out that the trans being bolted to the block grounds the trans. For some reason i was thinking it had a separate strap as well.

Back