Solved - Where is the engine number on a 4.0 SOHC urgent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Where is the engine number on a 4.0 SOHC urgent

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Flash

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
I posted this in 911 because my Ex is sitting in my driveway unable to be registered because I can't find the engine number.
The shop manual and the owner's manual don't help and the dealers are off for Xmas.

To top it off, the cops have contacted me to say that the engine number listed on the previous registration comes from a stolen motor.

I think it will turn out to be a typo because it's only one digit wronf, but I have to check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the engine # or the vin number? wow... i know california is very strict... and they never check the engine #, just the vin .... unless there is an actual reason for them to suspect foul play with the engine... like say if my honda had a v8 in it or something...

I think the final VIN # digits are on the block. Possibly at the rear, near the top, on the side. Good luck,
DonW

Ok, panic over now. The engine # is on the right side, in line with and below the exhaust manifold flange.

The machined surface is very small, 1 1/16x 3/4 and the numbers are about as big as the letters in this post. Very hard to see.

It was a typo, the numbers match the frame and VIN.

Good, DW

Back